Id letter required: Sgt Dennis Noble, Hurricane, P3179

85sqn

Hi folks, just trying to help out a mate for a Tangmere related group build we have- any idea of the individual a/c code? FT-???

Was flown by Dennis Noble of 43 Sqn from Tangmere during Aug 1940.

Thanks

Nick

I wish I could help you, this is something I'd like to confirm myself as Sgt Noble is one of my local Few. I have a gut feeling (not helpful, I'm sorry), but I used the letter E on model, as he was from East Retford in Nottinghamshire.

Whether the info can be found in public records at Kew or 43 sqn records is the only way I think may be helpful.

Incidentally I worked with Dennis's nephew Rod -a fellow ambulanceman, until he retired. Rod is also a Retfordian, who has a very striking resemblance to his uncle. 

I have checked the digitised record on the TNA, in AIR27/441/16, the Record of Events. P3179 was his "normal " machine, though he did fly V7366 on 14/8 and V7221 on 23/8. Alas, all aircraft are recorded by serial number only, no codes. Can't find it listed in the usual suspects either (Fighter Squadrons of the RAF, Squadron Codes etc.

Doesn't Tangmere have a museum? If they have a log book collection, or at least relevant BoB photocopies, it might be recorded.

Hi chaps, thanks for the reply. Yes Tangmere has the cockpit section and a display. We haven't unearthed any further details at the museum yet but thanks for the info on further a/c. I will pass it along.