Wingnut Wings 1/32 scale Roland CL.IIa (late)

Hi...

Recently finished this model... my first WnW kit and having taken the plunge, probably not my last one, either.  There are a good few photos, so I'll keep the narrative to a minimum.

Generally, a lovely kit to build and the company's reputation for first class and interesting model subjects is well-merited.  All internal detail was excellent and the engine was a smart looking item in it's own right.  All of the small transfers for the various gauges and the instrument panel went on very nicely, and the markings were very good and went on well throughout the kit, for which there are five different colour scheme options.

The model was more or less built from the box; I attempted to ruin my eyesight by adding in spark plugs to the engine but not sure they came out looking as good as I'd have liked, but in my defence, even in this scale, they are very small items to work with.  Care is needed with the variant you choose to model when it comes to the louvres and their placement around the forward fuselage but they shouldn't prove to be too difficult.  After market seatbelts were called for when I lost one of the kit-supplied pieces to the carpet monster; turnbuckles for the rigging were sourced from GasPatch and will certainly enhance your skills in threading needles - trying to pass elasticated thread from Utschi through the eye of the turnbuckle was another visual challenge, although having started to work with them, then decided it was too much for my eyes, then trying successfully a second time to get to grips with them, it wasn't overly problematic once I got the hang of it.  I suppose, as with everything in life, it's getting into the routine that can be the most off-putting aspect of trying something new.

Unit and national markings, as well as the various stencils, were applied prior to the attachment of the upper wing.  Optional MGs are provided - full-fat plastic or sleek and eyecatching plastic/etched brass options.  I chose the full-fat variety, although I 'cheated' and added on the etched brass gun sights.  The few transparent pieces offered were nice and clear, and as the lateral windows could be 'dropped' open on the real thing, I elected to leave the (L) forward window open as the fuel pipe leading into the tank under the pilot's seat was located next to this window; I also decided to leave the cowling covers off, which explains their absence from the photos.

I chose to attach the external bomb load offered with the kit; the anometer on the upper (R) wing was housed in an aerodynamic fairing with a counterbalance on the opposite wing, this former item having to be hand-made as it is not accommodated within the kit pieces, but is very clearly visible in the accompanying photograph in the instruction manual, and the latter being largely guess work as the aforementioned photo doesn't clearly show how it looked.  The model was finished in pale blue overall using a paintbrush, with the uppersurfaces subsequently finished in my own interpretation of the relevant colours, these having been applied by airbrush; the model was also blackwashed inside and externally as appropriate during all phases of the build.

So, having been off work for a while with a (thankfully, now-improving) knee complaint, this was certainly a good way to while away the hours during my recovery at home.  The model is finished in the markings of an aircraft believed to have been assigned to Kagohl II in late 1916/early 1917.

I hope you enjoy, and thanks for looking in... 😉.

Regards,

Paul

GEDC2980.jpg

GEDC2982.jpg

GEDC2991.jpg

GEDC2997.jpg

GEDC3001.jpg

GEDC3004.jpg

GEDC3011.jpg

GEDC3013.jpg

GEDC3022.jpg

GEDC3030.jpg

GEDC3036.jpg

GEDC3048.jpg

GEDC3058.jpg

GEDC3056.jpg

GEDC3064.jpg

GEDC3057.jpg

Edited by obdl3945
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Very nice model, thank you for showing it.  I really like WnW models as examples of the best of the highest standards  of modern manufacturers, but it still takes a good modeller to make them into models that come to life.

Nice job mate. I'm nearing completion of my first WnW kit, a Camel Br.1 over on the 100 year RAF GB. Agree they go together superbly, I just had some trouble with the big roundels, but a bit of research about the decals would have given me less grief!

:goodjob:

Davey.

Hi, guys...

Thanks very much for your comments; I'm glad you enjoyed the model.  I'm now looking forward to the expected release of the Halberstadt CL.II, rumoured to be available before the end of the year.  I also have a DFW C.IV patiently waiting in the wings, if you'll excuse the pun, but I need to build up some courage to attempt the increased number of struts to rig!

Regards,

Paul

Excellent job and having built the same kit ('Early' version) it is a complete delight and pleasure to build isn't it.

A model to be proud of for the display cabinet there!

Gary

Gary/Pete...

Glad you like the model.  It is a lovely kit to build, and you're very kind in your comments.

Regards,

Paul