LV-12 MAG.LINEAR duelling pistol

Hi all,

Here's a quick Nerf gun repaint I made for my daughter's birthday. The weather here has been *awful* for pretty much all of June, and I usually use rattle cans outside for this kind of thing. I waited until last Friday and got some paint on, but it was so cold (8'C) that it wasn't the best finish. I was a bit down about the whole thing for a while, but after some touch-ups and weathering I think it's come out OK.

42273729754_747462d4bf_b.jpg

I used the same graphics on a box and lined it with foam and satiny fabric attached with hot glue. It was still drying when I wrapped it up last thing last night...

It started out as a Nerf Falconfire, which looked like this before I dismantled it and sanded off the logos:

https://goo.gl/images/f7QnZw

But has ended up a bit more interesting. I hope! The slide mechanism is a bit stiff owing to the paint but it's not the slickest thing even in original form. I cleaned off as much paint as I could from the slide surfaces but some of which was orange needed to be white, so it's not been possible to take it all back to bare plastic.

28124028927_9b802f66aa_b.jpg

42090632095_5096aafaa5_b.jpg

It's painted with Tamiya and Duplicolor primers, and Molotov rattle can top coats. Oh, and I used Tamiya Gunmetal for the metal bits, followed by a Payne's Grey wash and silver Rub'n'Buff. Lettering is from an old Letraset sheet, it's not very sci-fi but the fancy looking Decadry letters I had were no longer any good. Weathering is mostly Pebeo artists' acrylics applied with a sponge and rag, plus some sponged and dry-brushed Citadel colours. I added the yellow flash by sponging Yriel Yellow through a Tamiya tape mask, and I think that really helped bring it together at the end. Weird how significant these small details can be.

42992145481_18d3fe5d73_b.jpg

I also took care to put a couple of painty thumb-prints on :)

29119982468_df2a86fc2a_b.jpg

Total time was probably about eight hours plus another couple for the box, and despite the late start it was done on time for the big day!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 9

2 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

Hope she likes it - the proof will be when she loads it on her birthday and then shoots you!

I know all about your weather at the moment as I have family on South Island. 

Thanks, I did indeed get shot. It's quite a good one and has the fancy new spinning darts.

And yeah, I'm sure the SI has it worse than we do most of the time! Wellington is odd though, it's not protected by much land owing to the offset of the islands, so when it blows from the pole we get it pretty hard. Currently looking at sorting out the drainage on our flat roof, which doesn't have enough of a fall on it.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Will, a great result. It looks the part.

I understand that it's now illegal to do that to a toy over here.

I still wouldn't mind having a go at it though.

When I was a kid we used to roam the streets armed to the teeth!

The slide, did you think of a smear of Vaseline (petroleum jelly)?

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I understand that it's now illegal to do that to a toy over here.

I don't think that's the case in NZ yet - toy guns aren't covered by firearms laws although there's an admonishment on the police site that people do call the police on people pointing realistic-looking toys. I've tried to make sure that everything looks sci-fi, so keep the "metal" areas to a minimum and have a relatively bright colour on there as well. Things like air guns are a completely different game here as they are covered by firearms laws.

I see in the UK the VCRA has made it illegal to sell a "realistic imitation firearm" unless it's mostly a bright colour, and illegal to e.g. repaint one to make it more realistic. But I'm not sure Nerf guns count as realistic imitation firearms - the wording of the law talks about it being distinguishable by a non-expert from a real gun manufactured after 1870. So maybe a sci-fi looking Nerf toy is OK because it doesn't look like an M1 Garand or a Walther PPK or whatever.

Obviously I am not a lawyer, and I suspect that not doing it is better than doing it if it comes down to a reading of the text of the act! I'd ask your local police force for advice and not paint anything all-black or all-metal whatever that advice might be.

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The slide, did you think of a smear of Vaseline (petroleum jelly)?

I added a tiny bit of Tamiya ceramic grease, which is plastic safe, but I'm not sure if it's a help or a hindrance as it collects the paint particles that get scraped free.

It's a lot better after I wiped paint off the inside with lacquer thinner and did some targetted sanding - it was leaving paint marks which it now isn't. Still a bit stiff but not unworkably so. I guess I should try re-greasing it next.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Molybdenum grease

Moly is the way to go - if you can get something like Molybdenum di sulphate which is a dry film lube then that is even better (trade name is Molykote)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! I was actually wondering about using powdered graphite, which I forgot earlier when I went and found the Tamiya stuff. That would be quite discreet since it'd essentially be weathering.

Will

• Like 3