Opinions on Dragon´s 1:48 Ta 152H

Sturmovik

I saw on my LHS Dragon´s Ta 152H-1, and I would really like to get one of those elegant aircraft for my collection, and I wanted to know the opinions of those who´ve already built it. I´m looking opinions regarding:

1) The propellers, do they have tabs that put them with the correct pitch (main concern)?

2) Overall fit.

3) Fuselage/wing join.

4) Engine/fuselage fit.

5) Ease of work with the photoetch pieces.

Thank you all, I´m keen on reading you.

The ZM kit is much more expensive and also is tricky to fit. To answer the original questions:

1) Don't recall the detail but I don't recall having an issue getting the blades at the proper pitch:

2) Overall fit is not bad. I had some warpage in the long wings though.

3) Generally OK though the upper and lower halves didn't line up properly at the leading edge of the wing root. Easily fixed with filing/sanding. The seam line is annoying in that it makes a seam in the middle of the gun cover which should be smooth. Filling the seam and sanding it smooth is hard because of the nearby moulded cover hinge. The X shows the seam line that needs to be fixed.

16051901-jpg.343980

4) No issues with engine fit. There is no firewall though so if you want to represent the view trough the wheel wells with some accuracy then you'll need to add one.

5) The PE is quite thick but is limited anyway. I used Eduard belts and discarded the intake grille which was not present anyway.

See my whole build in detail here.

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

From what i remember I think its the older Trimaster kit ? repopped by Dragon. I could be wrong but if thats the case it was highly regarded when it first came out. 

Yes, according to Scalemates its a repop of the Trimaster kit with plastic parts.

• Thanks 1

@Crimea River thank you for your help, thanks to you I´m one step closer on buying that model. Also thank you for linking your build here, I didn´t find it when I was looking for articles on the model.

And regarding the ZM model, with the detail comes the price, however, unless they include clear parts such as the ones on their Ho 229, details such as the fuel tanks or other parts could have been eliminated to reduce the price tag.

• Like 1

I built it a few years ago. I recall no difficulties other than it being a little fiddly in parts. But that was the nature of Trimaster and carried on over to the later clones. Overall a nice representation.

Actually they aren’t clones but the original moulds bought by Dragon in the early 90s  if the reports at the time were correct, modified to replace metal parts with plastic. A number of the range was also reboxed by Italeri and Revell over the years, though I‘m not sure if the 152 was among them (D-9 definitely by both).

6 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Actually they aren’t clones but the original moulds bought by Dragon in the early 90s  if the reports at the time were correct, modified to replace metal parts with plastic. A number of the range was also reboxed by Italeri and Revell over the years, though I‘m not sure if the 152 was among them (D-9 definitely by both).

Sorry meant reissues. One thing for certain is that it was a far nicer kit to build than the 1/72 Dragon Ta 152. 

10 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Yes, Italeri did rebox the Ta 152: I've got one.

I've not built the Dragon kit but i'm a far distance into the ZM one. All I can say about that kit is be prepared for a lot of work, in places the fit is laughable especially the engine cowls.  Heres my wip, the photos reappear on page 2

One day I may even get round to finishing it!

Tim.

@MilneBay what about the tailwheel? I saw on @Crimea River ´s build that it was molded as if the aircraft had been towed, with the tailwheel at 180° from the normal position, was it like that on your kit?

Edited by Sturmovik

Definitely backwards on mine. Fix is below:

16070401-jpg.347623

16070402-jpg.347624

16070403-jpg.347625

Also forgot to mention that the windscreen supplied with the kit is a very poor fit as it is too narrow for the fuselage. I ended up tossing it and using one from a FW190 kit which I modified to mediocre success.

16061501-jpg.346346

• Like 1

Update on this topic: I went to the hobby shop to buy the model, but two sprues were out of their bag and had two missing pieces, so I left it on the shelf. The seller told me he was selling it for another guy for a really cheap price.

On 6/30/2018 at 6:45 PM, Sturmovik said:

Update on this topic: I went to the hobby shop to buy the model, but two sprues were out of their bag and had two missing pieces, so I left it on the shelf. The seller told me he was selling it for another guy for a really cheap price.

Are you certain that they were needed pieces? Many of those ex-Trimaster kits had extra parts that were only needed for other versions.

10 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Are you certain that they were needed pieces? Many of those ex-Trimaster kits had extra parts that were only needed for other versions.

Ta152H hardly has extra parts. The diagram painted with blue(unused parts)are all original Tri-master parts that fits metal parts. DML replaced all metal parts and most PE with their own plastic sprue. Unlike Fw190 and Me262 series, Tri-master only released one Ta152.

Edit: Later they released a Ta152C with resin wing, cowling and propeller. I have no idea whether DML's 5548# Ta152C-0 refered these resin parts.

Edited by fernandocouto
add missing info