My Newbie builds

Hi

I've got back into modelling the last couple of years and have seen some of the stunning builds. Mine aren't up to the same standard, but I'm happy with them and thought I'd share and hopefully receive some critique so I can improve. I've only done a couple of planes.

The P47 is Tamiya and the P51 Meng both 1/48

ThankIan

16295216_1533256600022613_1712113901_n

29920282_2034350793246522_1286118083_n

• Like 29

I certainly think these are neatly constructed and finished. I don't think there's much to improve on, just depends how far you want to take things like weathering, detailing,  etc. I haven't tried a NMF like you have with the Thunderbolt and you have achieved a neat finish on that, maybe just look at photo's to get a variation on different shades of finish on different panels.

I, like you, have come back to modelling with a vengeance in the last 3 years and you can do no better than to join in the fun here.  Try some group builds, it's made me actually finish some models!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the comments

Must admit Davey that the bare metal finish is just Tamiya AS12 out of a rattle can, but it turned out ok

I have thought about weathering, but not taken the plunge at present as I've seen some nice weathering over the years and some that ruin the models completely 

I always think mine would be the latter

Might get some cheap kits and play around

Very good work. You don't have to worry about being below the standards of others, as your quality of work is very good. As said before, you could try to bring some variation to the look of a NMF finish by applying different tonalities todifferent panels. But the P-47 looks very good as it is.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Very nice results and welcome back. Some good skills on display. As for the weathering, get a cheap basic kit and build it without worrying about the finish, then practice the weathering to your hearts content. Worked for me as if you get it wrong you aren't gutted that you just messed up your best model ever!?!

• Like 1

Nice work and welcome.

A good way to start out with weathering is to buy some pastels - black, brown, grey etc. Various companies produce them. I use ones by AK Interactive.

You can use them dry for exhaust stains and general grubbiness, or to vary the tones of the paintwork. Or add a bit of water and use them as a wash to dirty up wheel wells and so forth. If you're not happy you can just wash them off and start again.

Even just brushing some earth tones on the tyres and then rubbing it off with your finger so it stays in the treads makes a real difference.

As has been said, build an old  cheap kit and use it to practise on. Have fun!

Ian

• Like 1

Great builds! 

I second the vote on the metal finish.  I use AS-12 or a similar one too and find that it doesn't take too long to mask up some panels for another spray with a different shade (I tend to use tamiya gloss aluminium and silver leaf). Easiest seems to be to spray the colour you want the smaller panels to be, then mask them off, and spray the whole thing again in the main colour. 

Works pretty well and doesn't take too long, also doesn't use up as much tape.

• Like 1

Newbie may have been the wrong term to use, before these I last built a kit probably early '80s when I was in my late teens, but I never had the patience that I seem to have now I'm older 🤔

I actually take my time and work logically through trying and altering the fit until it is right rather than buying, gluing and painting all in a day or maybe a weekend, it might now take a month or so doing a little bit at a time

I never used to use masking tape etc as I thought I was really good at brush painting, but I must have been deluded because I'm still as crap at freehand painting as I was then 😂

Thanks for all your comments 👏

• Like 1