Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

JMSmith

Percival proctor I/III and IV

Recommended Posts

hi gentlemen, couple of questions, first is there any wartime photos of these aircraft, i have found about 3, secondly did they carry underwing roundals and serials, i have lots of images for other nations including Syria, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that one from Reykyavik 1942-6 HM 289 among those three?

percival.jpg

And those two?

percivalproctor.jpg

large_000000.jpg

This RN one - is it in TSS?

Cheers

J-W

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RN one is seen early in the war, when the FAA only used TSS on ship-borned aircraft.  The roundel shows, by Red being dark and Blue comparatively light, that the photo was taken on ortho film, which also darkens the Dark Earth because of its red component.  These two together suggest that the upper surface scheme is TLS.

 

By its nature, there will not have been as many photos taken of Proctors as of  more impressive aircraft.  However I'm sure I've seen many over the years, but they will have been spread across dozens or more books and magazines.  There are at least two books dedicated to Percival aircraft, and I suspect these will be the  best way to find more than one photo of this type.

Edited by Graham Boak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

    I thought using ortho film turned the yellow outer roundel ring to black

 

as here 

 

 

   or is there more than one type of ortho film ? 

 

   cheers

      jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

I thought using ortho film turned the yellow outer roundel ring to black

That is true. Perhaps the blue (which is lighter than should be) is a pre-war lighter shade? BTW - the blue on fin flash is not as light.

J-W

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JWM said:

That is true. Perhaps the blue (which is lighter than should be) is a pre-war lighter shade? BTW - the blue on fin flash is not as light.

J-W

 

On prints made from Ortho film the yellow will appear as a dark tone. How dark depends on the brand of film. The red appearing as a darker tone than the blue confirms that  the photo was probably taken using Ortho film.

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this help....................

 

 

Percival Proctor

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2018 at 9:11 PM, Graham Boak said:

The RN one is seen early in the war, when the FAA only used TSS on ship-borned aircraft.  The roundel shows, by Red being dark and Blue comparatively light, that the photo was taken on ortho film, which also darkens the Dark Earth because of its red component.  These two together suggest that the upper surface scheme is TLS.

 

By its nature, there will not have been as many photos taken of Proctors as of  more impressive aircraft.  However I'm sure I've seen many over the years, but they will have been spread across dozens or more books and magazines.  There are at least two books dedicated to Percival aircraft, and I suspect these will be the  best way to find more than one photo of this type.

Having just bought the lovely looking Dora Wings kits (1:48) of the Proctor and the Vega Gull, I'm keen to find out what colours the Fleet Air Arm painted these.

TLS on the upper surfaces, it seems - but would the undersides be yellow, or Sky, or something else?

Cheers,

Nick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just finished a FAA example and previously built a NOVO kit as an FAA one as well. From what I have looked at I can only see that they were painted in Dark earth and Dark Green with yellow undersides. There are some example in Sqns of the Fleet Air Arm, Fleet Air Arm Aircraft (Sturtivant) and Tania Pons excellent book 'A Midhurst Flying Field'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im looking to build the Danish post war decal option, were they also Dark Earth & Dark Green over Yellow?

 

Thx

 

Julien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...