Percival proctor I/III and IV

JMSmith

hi gentlemen, couple of questions, first is there any wartime photos of these aircraft, i have found about 3, secondly did they carry underwing roundals and serials, i have lots of images for other nations including Syria, 

The RN one is seen early in the war, when the FAA only used TSS on ship-borned aircraft.  The roundel shows, by Red being dark and Blue comparatively light, that the photo was taken on ortho film, which also darkens the Dark Earth because of its red component.  These two together suggest that the upper surface scheme is TLS.

By its nature, there will not have been as many photos taken of Proctors as of  more impressive aircraft.  However I'm sure I've seen many over the years, but they will have been spread across dozens or more books and magazines.  There are at least two books dedicated to Percival aircraft, and I suspect these will be the  best way to find more than one photo of this type.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 1

Hi

I thought using ortho film turned the yellow outer roundel ring to black

as here 

or is there more than one type of ortho film ? 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

7 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

I thought using ortho film turned the yellow outer roundel ring to black

That is true. Perhaps the blue (which is lighter than should be) is a pre-war lighter shade? BTW - the blue on fin flash is not as light.

J-W

1 hour ago, JWM said:

That is true. Perhaps the blue (which is lighter than should be) is a pre-war lighter shade? BTW - the blue on fin flash is not as light.

J-W

On prints made from Ortho film the yellow will appear as a dark tone. How dark depends on the brand of film. The red appearing as a darker tone than the blue confirms that  the photo was probably taken using Ortho film.

Peter

• 7 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 9:11 PM, Graham Boak said:

The RN one is seen early in the war, when the FAA only used TSS on ship-borned aircraft.  The roundel shows, by Red being dark and Blue comparatively light, that the photo was taken on ortho film, which also darkens the Dark Earth because of its red component.  These two together suggest that the upper surface scheme is TLS.

By its nature, there will not have been as many photos taken of Proctors as of  more impressive aircraft.  However I'm sure I've seen many over the years, but they will have been spread across dozens or more books and magazines.  There are at least two books dedicated to Percival aircraft, and I suspect these will be the  best way to find more than one photo of this type.

Having just bought the lovely looking Dora Wings kits (1:48) of the Proctor and the Vega Gull, I'm keen to find out what colours the Fleet Air Arm painted these.

TLS on the upper surfaces, it seems - but would the undersides be yellow, or Sky, or something else?

Cheers,

Nick.

I have just finished a FAA example and previously built a NOVO kit as an FAA one as well. From what I have looked at I can only see that they were painted in Dark earth and Dark Green with yellow undersides. There are some example in Sqns of the Fleet Air Arm, Fleet Air Arm Aircraft (Sturtivant) and Tania Pons excellent book 'A Midhurst Flying Field'.

• Like 1