Memories on 35mm - AIRFIX 1/72 FOKKER F27 TROOPSHIP/FRIENDSHIP

In 1979 I could not resist buying the recently released Airfix F27 Troopship. Airfix had reissued their old 1960s F27 Friendship as the military Troopship version which was in service with the Dutch Air Force. The kit parts had not been altered from the Friendship. Decals were provided for a choice of two aircraft, a camouflaged one and a grey and white one with dayglo areas.

resized_5d6cab40-9120-410e-9602-ad12794f

This is the surviving box top from 1979. It looks like the Troopship is winning the Air Race ............

resized_5191f105-808a-403a-9446-2305c3b9

On the side of the box is the colour scheme I went for. Were you a member of the Airfix Modellers' Club ?

It would be about 15 years before I was settled enough to build the model. I built it initially as a Troopship in the civilian-looking Air Force scheme.  It was a joy to build, going together precisely despite its vintage.

I have found the following photographs I took of the model a good number of years ago. They were taken with a 35mm camera so I apologise for the quality but they are the only photos I now have of the model.

resized_78f9fe55-ef5e-4f02-89f3-4514256c

In this view can be seen the added rear toilet partition which I added. Also folding troop seating visible through the front cargo door. the stairs came from an old Airfix DH Heron.

I added a floor to the cabin as the model had no interior. Pilots' flying suits painted orange. One-piece cockpit canopy was beautifully clear.

resized_be8ee31c-3a76-4d8a-82e0-cdc32734

A few years later I repainted the model as a F27 Friendship airliner. I painted it in the same Braathens colours that Airfix had reissued the kit in during the late 1960s

resized_70ae932d-e4f7-4e45-9145-e48d5ee2

Newly repainted on my modelling table. Brushpainted stripes and flags and motifs as I had none of the original decals. Letraset lettering.  Cockpit canopy carefully removed so I could repaint the pilots, now wearing blue uniforms.

resized_d47ebf35-779d-41c9-b146-89668c7d

That was my Airfix Fokker F27 Troopship/Friendship.

cheers,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 27

Nice two for the price of one there, I took a lot of photos of my models before I moved to Leeds, but can only find a couple built in the early 80's. 

• Thanks 1

Nice build Adey.  Always liked the F-27.  Hence why I started building one in 1/48 then left it to do another couple of builds.  Must start it again soon.  Built the Airfix 1/72 kit n Dutch grey / green as a kid.  And a grey green Herc and Nord Atlas.  Seem to have a well buried liking for transports

• Thanks 1

I'm a devoted fan of the F-27, having been raised in a provincial Australian town.

The F-27 was the airlines' plane-of-choice for the regional services here in Oz.

Love the photos - and keen to see yet another re-release from Airfix.

👍

• Thanks 1

Very nice Adey and a sterling job with the repaint, which begs the question why?  I love both schemes and would have bought a second kit, to have one in each scheme?

• Thanks 1

On 01/07/2018 at 00:02, AMB said:

Very nice Adey and a sterling job with the repaint, which begs the question why?  I love both schemes and would have bought a second kit, to have one in each scheme?

Thanks Adrian for your comments. Airfix Friendships were hard to find back in the mid 1990s ( no internet then ) and if you did stumble on one they were pricey. 

For you here is my Friendship displayed with a ESCI F27 Maritime on our Club table

resized_95257a55-64e3-4f21-b3b8-19cd2ce2

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1