Airfix 'Bronze' Spitfire +++ COMPLETED +++

It's a slow day at work - I think the sun has finally got to everyone and they're all looking forward to the weekend - so - time for a small update...

When I got home last night I unclamped my masterpiece and spent the best part of an hour sanding the wing edges.  I obviously didn't apply enough glue on the wing to fuselage joints though and the little beggars were starting to droop again.

I 'poured' in some more poly and pulled the wing upwards with copious amounts of masking tape...

bronze_140.jpg 

You can see the size of the gaps on the left hand side....

bronze_139.jpg

It's amazing what force you can exert with enough tape - but every bit extra helps - so...

bronze_138.jpg

Now that pulled it up!!!

bronze_141.jpg

So with one side done it was time for the other side - this shows the difference...

bronze_142.jpg

Waiting for the glue to harden meant I couldn't get anything else done though...

• Like 4

jeezo that's some difference in angle (from the "done" wing compared to the other one).

I hope you were working in a well ventilated room while dealing with pints of glue 🤣

(oh wait - the open window thing wasn't meant as a joke because of the fire!!!!)

• Like 1

I was comparing my new tool 1/72 Spit...

bronze_143.jpg

...with this ancient 1/24...

bronze_144.jpg

bronze_145.jpg

...it's a bit BIG!!!

then I had a rummage for the smallest thing I've built recently...

bronze_146.jpg

bronze_147.jpg

This Jeep is no bigger than the exhausts.  Small things amuse small minds eh...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm having a few problems this morning - the liquid poly simply will not set and cure on my air intakes and radiator - they have been sat on the desk for over an hour now and they are as 'squishy' as anything...

• Sad 3

I have a question - if anyone has an answer - or even just an opinion - please let me know...

I am not expecting anyone to be an 'expert' on Rustoleum oil brushed bronze metallic spray paint - but...

...I'm wondering about the undercoat.  I am definitely going to undercoat - as I am suspecting it will show up some flaws - that hopefully can be rectified.

Now I know Vallejo recommend black undercoat for their metallics - but does that go for ALL metallics - any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks - Steve

• Like 2

I find that generally a black undercoat is good, but for a brighter top finish I'll use a bright silver no matter what the top metallic is and sometimes I'll use a yellow base coat for gold, copper, brass and bright bronze

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been a very 'on and off' weekend - there has been so much going on...

• World Cup
  • Formula 1
  • Those brave kids in Thailand

Progress has been made on the Spit though - so time for the Sunday night updates.

It was basically lots of finishing off jobs like these...

Glue on the top front engine cowl...

bronze_148.jpg

Mr surfacer into some of those pesky sink holes...

bronze_149.jpg

Getting the top light on...

bronze_150.jpg

Now here we have one of the main reasons this build will be a 'little different'.  This badly damaged rear canopy couldn't be saved and it was one of the reasons I nearly binned the kit...

bronze_151.jpg

It glued into position perfectly...

bronze_152.jpg

sod's law I think they call it :doh:

• Like 4

As the canopy needs to be closed it made sense to glue the front 2 sections together...

bronze_153.jpg

bronze_154.jpg

bronze_156.jpg

bronze_157.jpg

There is something incredibly liberating about covering a clear canopy with 'lashings' of liquid poly and not giving a damn if it 'mists' up. :D

• Like 7

The rear stabilizers needed finishing - I put the fronts on first - then the flaps...

bronze_155.jpg

bronze_158.jpg

After this bit I sanded down the leading edge to flap meeting points - so they looked more 'stream lined'.  The filler on the left is filling sink holes.

The nose cowl looks well - considering that huge lump on it that needed sanding down...

bronze_163.jpg

Getting slightly ahead of myself - I may pop it on top of my printer - or maybe the same printer on my desk at work...

bronze_161.jpg

• Like 4

I'm leaving the aerial and pitot off - for now - I have 'previous' as they say with these delicate parts :oops:  But I did need to attend to the air intakes and radiators - which were all very badly fitting - as I think @Antb found as well...

bronze_164.jpg

bronze_165.jpg

bronze_166.jpg 

I had to do a bit of filling here - as a 'sculpture' wouldn't have those nasty gaps.

And this bit was a real beggar...

bronze_167.jpg

It was a git to fill and smooth - I'm just glad it wasn't a huge trop filter.

bronze_168.jpg

...a bit of filling and then ready for priming.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I'm leaving the aerial and pitot off - for now - I have 'previous' as they say with these delicate parts :oops:  But I did need to attend to the air intakes and radiators - which were all very badly fitting - as I think @Antb found as well...

bronze_164.jpg

bronze_165.jpg

bronze_166.jpg 

I had to do a bit of filling here - as a 'sculpture' wouldn't have those nasty gaps.

And this bit was a real beggar...

bronze_167.jpg

It was a git to fill and smooth - I'm just glad it wasn't a huge trop filter.

bronze_168.jpg

...a bit of filling and then ready for priming.

You. Pain in the proverbial. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Antb said:

Wait. Not you. Should have read yes. Damn auto spell. 

Sorry about that 

Don't panic Ant - I guessed that was the case - but for the record - I can be a real P.I.T.A - just aske SWMBO...

anyway - this was never going to be an airbrush and spray booth job - it barely fits and only at a certain angle...

bronze_162.jpg

I nipped down to Halfords for some matt black primer - then noticed the note on the cap...

bronze_172.jpg

Luckily I have plenty in - so the new plan is grey primer - followed by black primer tomorrow - I knew they grey would be easier to spot problems though - so I'm glad it worked out this way really.  Sometimes when you can't make your mind up - fortune takes a hand.

The initial grey primer coat worked well and I only found a few 'bumps' that needed a light sanding and the only filling was here...

bronze_171.jpg

So quick second coat and we are all up to date...

bronze_173.jpg

bronze_174.jpg

bronze_175.jpg

So it will be on with the black coat tomorrow and then the BRONZE - TA DA...

I'm rally looking forward to it actually.

As always - thanks for looking in - Steve :)

• Like 6

@BIG X surely not mate 🤣🤣

Fabulous progress as ever. She's going to look awesome in her new coat soon. 

As ever, watching with interest 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really looking forward to watching the bronze go on.

Apologies I couldn't help with the choice of undercoat but you seem to have it well sorted now :like:

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't some.paint have some funny old names... who comes up with them? 

Oil rubbed bronze 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking forward to seeing this stuff on - i've started the 1/48 spitfire and it looks like the wing thing is the same.  Only double the size on the "big" kits....

nearly at the finish line?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Looking forward to seeing this stuff on - i've started the 1/48 spitfire and it looks like the wing thing is the same.  Only double the size on the "big" kits....

nearly at the finish line?

I put the black primer over the grey last night and had a test of the bronze on a Mule Hurricane and then on the stand - I'll post some pictures later - I need opinions...

• Like 2

As promised a bit of an update...

I decided it was time to stop faffing and get the aerial and pitot on...

bronze_177.jpg

Since I took this shot I have already managed to snap the aerial - but I have super glued it back on :oops:

...and as I can never resist 'messing' about - tried the prop off my other spit on for size...

bronze_178.jpg

I think the 'in-flight' nose looks better...

bronze_179.jpg

• Like 2

I meant to ask - you going to put any decals on?

This reminds me of the hobbycraft ju87 that I thought was beyond (at least my!) redemption so had a VERY brief go at foiling it (a whif sort of mojo).  Didn't last long 🤣

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I meant to ask - you going to put any decals on?

This reminds me of the hobbycraft ju87 that I thought was beyond (at least my!) redemption so had a VERY brief go at foiling it (a whif sort of mojo).  Didn't last long 🤣

no decals - I did toy with the idea of getting some vinyl cut roundels and codes - then spraying over them to give them a 3d effect on the fuselage and wings - but I'm already in over my head on this one - so it's KISS - keep it simple steve...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As promised here are the results of the 'test' on the bronze with an old mule...

bronze_182.jpg

bronze_183.jpg

bronze_184.jpg

bronze_185.jpg

Aren't you glad when you run a test...  This stuff sprays on like 'runny honey' and 'flowed' really well down the side of the hurricane :oops:

any comments on the finish...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2