Airfix 'Bronze' Spitfire +++ COMPLETED +++

With the first wheel being pre-made from a previous build it was time to make the second...

bronze_089.jpg

Horrible rubber tyres again...

bronze_090.jpg

So that completes Saturdays work - quite a decent leap forward.

• Like 3

Top work mate. 

Interesting that the IP has the same issue wouldn't have thought it would have had. I thought it would just have got damaged or whatever but guess not. 

On the plus side look how far kits have come since this one. Thank goodness we have much better ones nowadays. Just need to build one though instead of setting these challenges 🤣

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Antb said:

Top work mate. 

Interesting that the IP has the same issue wouldn't have thought it would have had. I thought it would just have got damaged or whatever but guess not. 

On the plus side look how far kits have come since this one. Thank goodness we have much better ones nowadays. Just need to build one though instead of setting these challenges 🤣

HEY - We can do it - we cannot be stopped - I hope :D

• Haha 3

• BIG X changed the title to Airfix Spitfire MKIA

I seem to remember watching a youtube video showing the MLG problem you have (had).....was it the same with the other spitfire - do they all have it?

• Like 1

I spent all Sunday posting updates of progress from Saturday - but I did get a lot done on Sunday - in between the updates.  I'm stuck in a hotel in Bristol tonight and Belgium have just beaten a very unlucky Japan - so here is what I  got done on Sunday...

bronze_091.jpg

I filled in that sink hole near the rear of the fuselage.  I also filled the jacking hole behind the rear wheel as a bronze sculpture wouldn't have a void.  I also filled the slight void around the rear wheel.

I found a very strange blemish - almost like a flat melt mark - on the top engine cover...

bronze_092.jpg

A bit of ettling and sanding got rid of it though...

bronze_093.jpg

With the second wheel assembled and then chopped to size - it was time to glue them to the undercart doors...

bronze_094.jpg

With the legs chopped down the wheels sat in a more correct looking position...

bronze_095.jpg

bronze_096.jpg

• Like 4

As the gun ports are going to be filled - it made sense to put some rough filler in now - for the neater filler to but up against...

bronze_097.jpg

bronze_098.jpg

The bottoms were first - then the tops for good measure...

bronze_106.jpg

I also spent some time neatening up the seams - just with a scalpel and a file - I used so much glue on these joints that I think filler probably won't be needed...

bronze_099.jpg

bronze_100.jpg

bronze_101.jpg

• Like 4

Covered in flash - there was a socket port on the starboard engine cover - I drilled it out...

bronze_102.jpg

bronze_103.jpg

Though it actually needed the back to be capped - to make it look right on my sculpture...

bronze_104.jpg

bronze_105.jpg

...so a 'representation' of the port will be present on the finished build.

I also got the tail stuck on---

bronze_107.jpg

...and did a trial fit of the 'in flight' nose and engine cover...

bronze_108.jpg

...it's actually beginning to look a bit like a Spitfire...

bronze_109.jpg

• Like 4

Nice progress on what is a bit of a dog of a kit!

Whilst I do have rather a soft spot for Airfix they could do with some better quality control at times!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, badger said:

Nice progress on what is a bit of a dog of a kit!

Whilst I do have rather a soft spot for Airfix they could do with some better quality control at times!

It may be a dog - but boy it's a BIG DOG - I'm rolling with it now and enjoying every minute...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

It may be a dog - but boy it's a BIG DOG - I'm rolling with it now and enjoying every minute...

And that's what the hobby is all about. Personally I get far more pleasure from some of the older kits that require a bit of work than I do the latest "shake and bake - all in the box" type.

Really intrigued as what this will look like when the paint starts to go on as its a great idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I messed around with the exhausts and 'butchered' part of the engine to give me something to fix them in with - but all that was last week.  Yesterday I was going to slide the exhausts though the appropriate hole in the body framework and stick them to the bit of engine I was left with when I had a thought...

Cut the framework you idiot...

bronze_111.jpg

That allowed me to assemble all the exhausts bits together...

bronze_110.jpg

Then position them and glue the frame back in place...

bronze_112.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, badger said:

And that's what the hobby is all about. Personally I get far more pleasure from some of the older kits that require a bit of work than I do the latest "shake and bake - all in the box" type.

Really intrigued as what this will look like when the paint starts to go on as its a great idea.

Thanks mate - it may not be as 'pretty' as I originally hoped - maybe more of an abstract work of art - in the style of Salvador Dali's 'melting period'...

31persistenceofmemory1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other bit of the engine that I still needed to use was the prop shaft to fill the front of the fuselage...

bronze_113.jpg

bronze_114.jpg

bronze_115.jpg

bronze_116.jpg

All in all it's not much of an engine - but it serves it's purpose. :D 

• Like 4

The last big job yesterday was getting the top wings on - first one...

bronze_117.jpg

...and when that has dried - remove the clamps for the other side...

bronze_118.jpg

...and before I forgot - the plastic for the bottom light...

bronze_119.jpg

As with @Antb's build there were no 'major' issues with the wing root fit - but on my build a bit of plastic putty will suffice to cure it - as it is more 'naïve'...

bronze_120.jpg

What I did get - - and I was fully expecting it - - was a rear wing mating point gap...

bronze_121.jpg

bronze_122.jpg

I had this on the last build - but I'm going to put a couple of strips to evergreen in here...

bronze_123.jpg

...to act as a 'step' and increase the area of the mating points - MORE GLUE = MORE GRIP.

That's me all caught up - I'm in Bristol all day tomorrow so no more progress.  I need to glue this on and tidy up the wing edges - so probably Thursday before I can update her again.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 7

Inspiring and excellenr work BigX. Like others, I am a bit shocked by the quality issues with the basic kit but you have hit on a great way of beating that and I'm all agog to see what the final finish will be like - should grace your desk at work when finished?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lawzer said:

I knew this kit was "challenging" but didn't realize it was THIS bad!!!! 😨

It might be bad - but it's fun - I think...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Afternoon folks - it's as 'hot as curry' out there - just as well the office has air con.  Time for a 'quick update' if you are interested...

I have 'rummaged around' in my box of flash to find the bits I need for the radiators - but I'm not putting them on until I've glued the wing on and sanded it all down...

bronze_124.jpg

For whatever reason one of the wheels doesn't completely fit into the wing :oops:

bronze_125.jpg

not to worry - 15 coats of primer followed by 10 coats of bronze and 5 coats of gloss and you'll never know :whistle:

A quick 'test flight' on the stand shows the dihedral is 'OK'...

bronze_126.jpg

...but that 'see-saw' gap is always apparent at either the front or the back - in this case the front...

bronze_127.jpg

The wing edges all the way round are very rough and the guns still need the rest of the filler in...

bronze_128.jpg

bronze_129.jpg

...but I'm waiting until everything is fully set with the fuselage before  take to it with some heavy duty sanding action.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

so the view from the front - is that how it sits if no "external" forces are applied??

Exactly Ian...

To combat the 'see-saw' effect I have added some extra plastic for all the gallons of glue to stick to...

bronze_131.jpg

...at the back here - and also at the front...

bronze_132.jpg

So last night - with a full bottle of liquid poly and a moorland fire 'dangerously close' (I may be exaggerating a little) I set about splashing the glue on - at the risk of blowing the house up.

OK - In reality it was a 'little warm' and a bit smoky - but I've got to liven this build up somehow :mental:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A gallon of poly later the Spit is was more clamp than kit...

bronze_133.jpg

bronze_134.jpg

bronze_135.jpg

bronze_136.jpg

I did hear an ominous 'ping' at one point and I haven't dared to look what gave way yet - but I did remove a few of the clamps this morning and will get the rest off tonight...

bronze_137.jpg

• Like 4

On 02/07/2018 at 22:46, BIG X said:

Thanks mate - it may not be as 'pretty' as I originally hoped - maybe more of an abstract work of art - in the style of Salvador Dali's 'melting period'...

31persistenceofmemory1.jpg

Cool - a friend of mine had this on their wall at uni and I was always quite intrigued by it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, badger said:

Cool - a friend of mine had this on their wall at uni and I was always quite intrigued by it.

I know me stuff - educated me yer know... :D

• Haha 1