Airfix 'Bronze' Spitfire +++ COMPLETED +++

7 minutes ago, Antb said:

Is this piece the only one in the entire kit that goes together well with no flash or filler needed? Cor blimey. 

Was up your way yesterday working Steve and the smoke was something else. Felt like night time in the middle of the afternoon. Hope things get better for you soon mate it's not pleasant but those fighting the fires are doing a great job from what I've seen and heard. 

More seriously though hope you aren't one of the ones being evacuated as a precaution. 

Evacuated - well everything was OK when I left home this morning :pray:

The locals are just getting on with life as if nothing was going on...

4DAD193200000578-5888863-image-a-18_1530

This woman always wears a gas mask when she nips out to the Co-op :lol:

• Haha 6

That Games Workshop video reminded me of my own efforts with bronze - I highlight gold then use brown ink to bring it all together. This is the only one I could find. He's still a work in progress, but it might give you ideas.

PXAeAkW.jpg

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

That Games Workshop video reminded me of my own efforts with bronze - I highlight gold then use brown ink to bring it all together. This is the only one I could find. He's still a work in progress, but it might give you ideas.

PXAeAkW.jpg

Andy

Nice one Andy - this is very much a 'fun experiment' with a kit that is really only fit for the bin - so anything is possible...

• Like 1

I was just going to do a quick update - but hey - the top story on the 6 o'clock BBC news is happening right outside my window so....

BREAKING NEWS....   RIGHT FROM THE FRONT LINE....  BRITMODELLER REPORTER - BIG X - ON THE SPOT - SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE... :mental:

Good evening viewers - I'm just putting a couple of sausages and a burger on this 'whopping' BBQ - that someone has lit near my back garden.  It's hot / it's sweaty / it smells and you can't move for TV and radio crews - but the modelling goes on...:goodjob:

bronze_051.jpg

...it may look lovely - but flames up to 30ft have been reported - now - where is that /24 Spitfire.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

In other news - I now have lower side panels on the engine cover...

bronze_052.jpg 

They were a bit 'ropey' but hey are trimmed and on now - with a couple of very nasty issues...

bronze_053.jpg

bronze_054.jpg

• Sad 2

The door has been glued on too...

bronze_055.jpg

and the exhaust ports have been smoothed out...

bronze_056.jpg

Tomorrow is a wash out on the modelling front - but as I'm in Edinburgh - do I take a trip to Wonderland Models...  What do you think...

• Like 3

Oooooohhhhhh! It's like Aladdin's cave in that place (Wonderland Models). You can't go to Edinburgh and not drop in there! Prepare to spend, though. I'll be going the other way, to Bristol, en route to Cornwall.

• Like 2

Hope all is safe and well with yourself and the good lady X?

Looked pretty scary on the news!!

Have a safe trip and we look forward to the report on the delights of wonderland models :like:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(still out of likes)

I'm sure about 33 years ago I bought a radio controlled car from wonderland.  Looks like they are still in the same place but only had 1 unit back then.....ahhh happy days! ;)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Oooooohhhhhh! It's like Aladdin's cave in that place (Wonderland Models). You can't go to Edinburgh and not drop in there! Prepare to spend, though. I'll be going the other way, to Bristol, en route to Cornwall.

21 hours ago, badger said:

Hope all is safe and well with yourself and the good lady X?

Looked pretty scary on the news!!

Have a safe trip and we look forward to the report on the delights of wonderland models :like:

12 hours ago, Lawzer said:

(still out of likes)

I'm sure about 33 years ago I bought a radio controlled car from wonderland.  Looks like they are still in the same place but only had 1 unit back then.....ahhh happy days! ;)

Sorry boys - I have let you all down.  I finished my meeting at 4pm and then spent 30 minutes battling my way about half a mile across Edinburgh.  Sat Nav got me there no problem - but I couldn't find anywhere to park the Volvo - four different 'fly-bys' in every direction and I couldn't find anywhere to park - by 5-30pm I gave up and headed for home.  I had slipped a substantial amount of 'readies' in my wallet - from my 'cash stash'.  You know the one - money you can spend without it being 'detected' by the model police - otherwise known as SWMBO  :lol:

On the moor fires front - apparently a Chinook has been buzzing about all day - but I couldn't see it from Edinburgh.  I got home about 30 minutes ago - it still smells awful and many locals are using it as an excuse to wear various 'fetish face masks'.  I passed another fire on the way home though - on the northern side of Manchester - at Rivington Pike - it looks worse than the one near me.

We're having a heatwave - a wonderful heatwave....

Who said Manchester was famous for rain :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Bad luck, BigX , parking is difficult around the Lothian Road area at Wonderland Models. At that time, rush hour starting as well so you won't have been given a chance to cruise round without impatient honking horns, no doubt. 

Passing the Manchester area on the M6 yesterday, you could see the haze in the sky from the fire - this is a major calamity, I'm thinking. You need that rain now!

• Like 1

Just caught up with this, holy crap this kit is a mess! I built one as a kid and don't remember any major flash or fit issues, but then I never did finish it either.....it ended up as a target for my air rifle practice!

Ian

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Just caught up with this, holy crap this kit is a mess! I built one as a kid and don't remember any major flash or fit issues, but then I never did finish it either.....it ended up as a target for my air rifle practice!

Ian

You're not kidding. It is awful. But it's a challenge and we all love a challenge. 

Atleast that's what I keep telling myself 🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Ian

...now where can I buy an air rifle... :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Antb said:

You're not kidding. It is awful. But it's a challenge and we all love a challenge. 

Atleast that's what I keep telling myself 🤣

A challenge eh - you could call it that - madness I call it :mental:

I do faithfully promise some progress over the weekend though.  I think I may get the fuselage together - before I add the exhausts - I think a fair bit of clamping may be required.

• Like 1

Well I promised some progress over the weekend and I've got some from yesterday and some from this morning.  A week has already gone by and a lot of time has been wasted on moaning / nipping to Scotland / eating out / watching the moors burn...

So it was definitely time for some work yesterday.  I started with the tail wheel - which is MASSIVE...

bronze_057.jpg

...as was the accompanying flash...

bronze_058.jpg

I got the wheel centre in - but trying to sand the seam off the rubber wheel was a nightmare as always...

bronze_059.jpg

Then it was time for a rough trim for the tail wheel leg and clip it all together...

bronze_060.jpg

it got a bit of a sanding later to smooth the seam.

• Like 1

The next job was to get some of the internal structure in - it won't be seen, but it will keep the fuselage lined up and add some strength...

bronze_061.jpg

Just like @Antb my IP had that tell tale missing bit...

bronze_062.jpg

It's not important for my build - but it says everything about the quality of this moulding.

I put both side of the fuselage together for squareness - but only glued internals to one side...

bronze_063.jpg

The fit of the fuselage was actually better than I remember from last time...

bronze_064.jpg

Finally they were all in and I left them to set and harden...

bronze_065.jpg

• Like 2

Whilst the internal sections were drying I set about adding the 'dreaded' gun ports.  I was already missing one I made a quick replacement from some evergreen...

bronze_066.jpg

It was actually less traumatic than the last time I attempted this - just a bit of fettling / then some more / then some more...

bronze_067.jpg

Before I attempted the ports on the underside I tried to straighten the bottom wing w some VERY hot water...

bronze_068.jpg

bronze_069.jpg

In the end it didn't work of course - but worth a try I suppose.

• Like 1

The internals set well and make a strong 'skeleton' that will hold the fuselage in shape...

bronze_070.jpg

Whilst the body was apart I popped in the rear wheel...

bronze_071.jpg

• Like 3

The main job yesterday was to try and get the floppy wings sorted though.  Soaking and bending in hot water didn't work - but as you may remember from this picture - I needed to do something or it would end up in the bin...

bronze_005.jpg

It was time to get the 2mm Perspex out.  This is becoming my standard 'go to' product for curing warped Airfix parts, as you may remember from the pontoon ramp and the church roof.

You can see how bad the warp is here - when the flat Perspex is clamped to the warped wing...

bronze_072.jpg

Not the best picture in the world - but it shows the problem.  So with loads of glue and loads of clamps...

bronze_073.jpg

Whilst it was setting I got the fuselage glued together...

bronze_075.jpg

• Like 2

You can see the Perspex on this shot...

bronze_074.jpg

...and to try to introduce more 'bend' - I added a smaller clamp as a counter weight...

bronze_076.jpg

I was a little worried that I might 'over correct' the problem - but in for a penny...

Here was the result...

bronze_077.jpg

Yippee - it worked :yahoo:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

With the starboard wing now fixed...

bronze_078.jpg

...the port wing looked ever so slightly droopy - so I applied a fix to that too...

bronze_079.jpg

With the thickness of the Perspex I had to make sure I didn't get too close to the wing edges - but there was enough to hold the correct wing shape...

bronze_080.jpg

On close inspection you can see how much the warped styrene is stressing the Perspex...

bronze_081.jpg

bronze_082.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

In other news - the moor fire took a sudden leap down the hill towards the local secondary school...

bronze_083.jpg

...it's getting really boring now - we haven't been able to open the windows in nearly a week.

• Sad 3

Last night I turned my attention to the undercarriage.  I am going 'wheels up' - but there is no real mating point for the parts - so I put some Evergreen strips in...

bronze_084.jpg

With the wheel and leg in the 'correct' position - things clearly aren't correct...

bronze_085.jpg

So - as you won't see the evidence - I chopped the wheel leg down...

bronze_086.jpg

I got both the covers on - I'll worry about radiators etc later...

bronze_087.jpg

I have cut the slot for the stand and 'blanked off the last of the shell ejector chutes - a bronze statue wouldn't have 'voids'.

• Like 4