Airfix 'Bronze' Spitfire +++ COMPLETED +++

After super-gluing my finger to the inside of the nose cone I got bored and decided to have a play with the horizontal stabilizers and the rudder...

bronze_023.jpg

...for such a 'mahoosive' kit - it still has lots of fiddly little corners where you can only just get the very end of a scalpel in to clear away the flash.

The placing of the sprue gates is a bit 'basic' as well...

bronze_024.jpg

...lots of gentle carving and polishing will be required - nice...

• Like 2

The rudder turned out OK...

bronze_028.jpg

nothing special I know - but a bit of a victory with this plastic.

I not bothering with the 'H' shaped toggles that fix the 'movable surfaces' together - I tried this on the last Spit and it just started pulling the parts apart after a while.  I'm just going to glue these straight on - in a 'level flight' position.  Here are the stabilizers...

bronze_029.jpg

bronze_030.jpg

...that wraps up my meagre efforts for last night.  Not much to show - but I did spend most of the day moaning - instead of working :doh:

• Like 4

Quick and very small update - there won't be any progress tonight - I'm off out to dinner with my boss :yawn:

The upside is - I  came home early - the down side is...

bronze_031.jpg

I removed the clamps - only to find that glue had somehow leaked under one - oh well - more polishing and filling I guess.

I hope to get going properly tomorrow night - hopefully see you then - Steve

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

For a 'master class' on the engine / how it is assembled / how it can be embellished - take a look at @Antb current build here...

Thanks steve. 

Hope the dinner with the boss went well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intrigued now.

Would this have anything to do with a certain bronze spitfire comment on your church build?

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Antb said:

Thanks steve. 

Hope the dinner with the boss went well. 

Once every three months he flies up to see me and it Michelin star all the way - I've just got home - so time for a bag of crisps - I'm starving :lol:

1 hour ago, badger said:

Intrigued now.

Would this have anything to do with a certain bronze spitfire comment on your church build?

All the best

Ben

He shoots - he scores - GOOAAALLL!!!!!!

• Like 1

OK folks the cat is out of the bag...

With such a duff kit - my only way to make something 'pretty' is to try and make a 'Bronze Sculpture' of a Spitfire.  I bet someone / somewhere has already done it - but extensive googling can't find it.  That's why there is no cockpit detail / a frosty canopy isn't a problem / we don't need the engine on show / the flaps don't need to work etc.

We won't be worrying about colour schemes / masking / camo patterns / serial numbers / sqn markings / safety stencils either - so hopefully this won't take too long.  I do hope some of you will stick with me and offer a bit of support as 'I fight the flash' - this could be... err... interesting :D

• Like 6

That takes me back a bit. I remember building this kit when it first came out. By the look of things, the years haven't been kind to the moulds.

There seems to be a fair bit of fettling required to bring it up to scratch, but I'm sure that as a result of your recent church build, there's bound to be some Devine intervention.

Good luck all the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

He shoots - he scores - GOOAAALLL!!!!!!

I may have been sitting quietly at the back on this one so far, but I have been paying attention :giggle:

Like the idea and will be interesting to see how you go about it.

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Would this be of interest?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rust-oleum-universal-spray-paint-metallic-oil-rubbed-bronze-0-4ltr/77966?tc=IB1&ds_kid=92700022647639866&ds_rl=1249481&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tKFwdnw2wIVrZPtCh0ynwA-EAQYASABEgJEJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL6S78LZ8NsCFeUw0wodBGEJ9g

Used some of their products for DIY purposes and been impressed. Definitely worth a test spray though as they spray very differently than Halfords as the can seem more pressurised.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, badger said:

Would this be of interest?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rust-oleum-universal-spray-paint-metallic-oil-rubbed-bronze-0-4ltr/77966?tc=IB1&ds_kid=92700022647639866&ds_rl=1249481&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tKFwdnw2wIVrZPtCh0ynwA-EAQYASABEgJEJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL6S78LZ8NsCFeUw0wodBGEJ9g

Used some of their products for DIY purposes and been impressed. Definitely worth a test spray though as they spray very differently than Halfords as the can seem more pressurised.

All the best

Ben

That my friend is the EXACT product I have been looking at...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

I may have been sitting quietly at the back on this one so far, but I have been paying attention :giggle:

Mr. Badger.... where I come from that's called Stalking!!! 

We're on to you pal! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, BIG X said:

That my friend is the EXACT product I have been looking at...

Great minds think alike 🤣

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Mr. Badger.... where I come from that's called Stalking!!! 

We're on to you pal! 

Cheers.. Dave 

I prefer "lurking" 😆

• Haha 6

Good morning from 'smokey' Saddleworth - 'the moors are alive - with the sound of burning' as Julie Andrews might say...

sound-of-music-julie-andrews-2015-billbo

Progress has been slow on this one...

• SUNDAY - Spent all day moaning about the quality of this kit
  • MONDAY - Out all evening for dinner with my boss
  • TUESDAY - Too much wine - in an attempt to alleviate the effects of smoke inhalation

I did get a couple of bits done though - before the alcohol began to take effect.

I set to work on the stand...

bronze_036.jpg

bronze_037.jpg

bronze_038.jpg

bronze_039.jpg

I'm going to use this as my 'tester' for the bronze paint - if it all goes pear shaped I have another 5 of these floating about. 

• Like 3

After extricating my finger from the inside of the nose cone (I actually managed to superglue my finger in there).  I have been 'slowly' filling the holes for the props - a little at a time...

bronze_032.jpg 

bronze_033.jpg

I've also brushed it over with some liquid poly to harden it up a bit...

bronze_034.jpg

...and before leaving for work I have 'lathered' it with mr dissolved putty...

bronze_035.jpg

Assuming it's dry tonight I will polish it up.  You've got to love the nose on a Spitfire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I took a fire axe to the cockpit door - to chop away all the flash - underneath it all I finally found this...

bronze_040.jpg

bronze_041.jpg

bronze_042.jpg

...it doesn't look too bad - considering all the whinging I did about it :blush:

• Like 3

With no engine going in I need something to stick the exhausts to...

bronze_043.jpg

I cut those annoying little tabs away at either end...

bronze_044.jpg

...and I was about to stick a blank piece of plasticard in when I thought - I'll just check the position if the engine was there...

bronze_045.jpg

..and then it hit me...

bronze_046.jpg

...us the flippin engine...

bronze_047.jpg

It's not pretty - but it will make life a lot easier.  Whilst I was at it - I popped all the exhaust bits together...

bronze_048.jpg

...and I'll neaten them up tonight.

• Like 5

All you will need for a diorama for this is a 1/24 airbase for it to act as gate guard! 🤣

Even though as you say no masking etc the fact that it will be all one colour may very well lead to it's own challenges....I'm sure you are up to the job ;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

All you will need for a diorama for this is a 1/24 airbase for it to act as gate guard! 🤣

Even though as you say no masking etc the fact that it will be all one colour may very well lead to it's own challenges....I'm sure you are up to the job ;)

ooh - I hadn't considered that - like if it was all black - I see your point.  Still it's only a bit of fun - it may end up getting 'launched' out of the bedroom window - to see if it can 'fly'.

I would like it to look like 'pristine' bronze and will most likely add a ton of gloss varnish - but the other option - if it looks a bit 'monotone' is to add some green panel lines or washes - @Antb sent me a great link for the right stuff - we will see.  But I really need to get moving on this one - I've been 'dawdling' a bit.

Tomorrow won't help - I've got to drive up to Edinburgh for a 2pm meeting and probably won't get out until 5pm - guess I'll be listening to the footy on the 4 hour drive home.

...another day 'lost'...

I'll see what I can get done tonight though. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

Good morning from 'smokey' Saddleworth - 'the moors are alive - with the sound of burning' as Julie Andrews might say...

sound-of-music-julie-andrews-2015-billbo

Progress has been slow on this one...

• SUNDAY - Spent all day moaning about the quality of this kit
  • MONDAY - Out all evening for dinner with my boss
  • TUESDAY - Too much wine - in an attempt to alleviate the effects of smoke inhalation

I did get a couple of bits done though - before the alcohol began to take effect.

I set to work on the stand...

bronze_036.jpg

bronze_037.jpg

bronze_038.jpg

bronze_039.jpg

I'm going to use this as my 'tester' for the bronze paint - if it all goes pear shaped I have another 5 of these floating about. 

Is this piece the only one in the entire kit that goes together well with no flash or filler needed? Cor blimey. 

Was up your way yesterday working Steve and the smoke was something else. Felt like night time in the middle of the afternoon. Hope things get better for you soon mate it's not pleasant but those fighting the fires are doing a great job from what I've seen and heard. 

More seriously though hope you aren't one of the ones being evacuated as a precaution.