Malta Spitfire

I put-off building a Malta Spitfire for a long time, wary of the disagreement about the colours, markings and weathering related to the siege - as you are probably aware, apart from a few well known photos, hard evidence is hard to come by, and eye witness accounts can sometimes seem contradictory with the passage of time. However, having picked up a Hobby Boss kit on the cheap, i decided to go ahead and build a Mk.V in the markings attributed to George Beurling in the Osprey Malta Aces book. The plane used replacement panels in places from donor aircraft in desert camo to replace damage, and after time it has been noted that the blue paint applied at some point in transit began to fade, giving glimpses if the desert camo underneath. The model is OOB except for some Barracuda resin wheels to replace the rubber ones in the kit. Insignia and markings were applied using home made masks. Weathering is by oils, some sanding with micro mesh and pastels.

DSC_8732-L.jpgDSC_8734-L.jpg

DSC_8728-L.jpg

• Like 66
  • Thanks 1

What the others have said- looks so real you would be afraid to touch that hot metal! Not familiar with this kit- is it 1/72 or 1/48? If 1/72, you have created a real replica, not a model!

Mike

• Like 1

I think we've all had different visions of what these things actually looked like at the time, however this 3D replica with amazingly realistic weathering IMO has now set the benchmark. Your Malta Spitfire captures the atmosphere of this desperate period perfectly. This is a wonderful build - well done. 

Cheers.. Dave  

My word, that is a superb Spit Mk.V replica!

As a big fan for the tropical filter-equipped type, I love what you've produced there.

Can't fault it at all.

:goodjob:

I built one very similar to that for my dad a few years ago. He met George Beurling when he was staying in our village after he left Malta, and George mentions meeting two local lads (my dad and uncle) in his book Malta Spitfire.

That is quite a remarkable finish you achieved there! 

Brilliant job on the painting and weathering. Everything is so subtle and super detailed. :goodjob:

Makes my builds look very average.

It's all been said before so all I can say is wow! Posed out in the current sunshine with an appropriate background and you could hardly tell it was a model. As someone already said you might be afraid to touch hot metal.