Pete's Airfix 00 scale Battle of Britain class 34018 Axminster *Finished*

Just got this one today and I will be entering it does have a missing wheel so I will probably buy a dapol kit for the spares spure shots will be later but here's the box42982580451_ee0bbc54c6_c.jpg

Edited by peterairfix
Change of engine number
  • Like 10

I keep meaning to get hold of one of these.

If I turn the picture upside down I can see the basis for a Sci fi space ship build!

I do however, still like the look of it as a steam engine!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered the other day that the Dapol range is available 

via that web site named after a South American river.

Warped? I like warped. No, wait, that's my brain processes. 😉

• Haha 4

Nice. I built one of these a few years ago. It was a Dapol kit, and had a few name plate choices. I think I chose 'Fighter Pilot'. Beautiful looking train.

• Like 2

@Ventora3300 and I maybe should have tried to get a good deal on a bulk buy of filler for the group build judging on how almost everyone's builds seem to have the *ahem* almost unique airfix sink mark syndrome 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Made a start at last I did fill the sink marks in the chassis but as they are hiding behind the wheels I didn't go for perfection.

And chassis plus wheels are altogether I will be going to try and have everything working something that seems to have eluded me in the past.28402286907_5550ba424c_b.jpg28402286977_f456af9472_c.jpg

• Like 5

Have you got a soft pencil?  If you have run it over emery paper to get it to a dust then rub/brush it into joints you want to move (definitely not joints you want to fix) and it will act as a lubricant...

Sorry also meant to say that there was a whole class of locomotives so maybe your favourite squadron, or one based near you, is represented in the class...  You. Just need to ensure the dates and types of tender they had to get the livery right...

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Just need to ensure the dates and types of tender they had to get the livery right...

Absolutely. Spam Can engine picking is an art form in its own right! :penguin:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Wouldn't Axminster have been West Country Class rather than B of B?

Nice to see one of these going together.

You are correct yet they are essentially the same locos classed as bulleid light Pacifics west country class were all named after west country towns and the battle of Britain class were named after Bob pilots and airfeids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peterairfix said:

You are correct yet they are essentially the same locos classed as bulleid light Pacifics west country class were all named after west country towns and the battle of Britain class were named after Bob pilots and airfeids.

Thanks.  I've an idea that the only differences were something to do with cab shape and the size of the smoke deflectors.

• 1 month later...
On 23/07/2018 at 19:19, peterairfix said:

Just found time to attach the name plates and smoke door number just got to sort out the crest and cab side numbers

Peter, did you get the numbers finished on the 'Axminster'? We are all looking forward to seeing this in the Gallery. Regards. Mike

44 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Peter, did you get the numbers finished on the 'Axminster'? We are all looking forward to seeing this in the Gallery. Regards. Mike

I am still looking for cab side numbers but I am on the case so watch this space very soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Battle of Britain and West Country locomotives were smaller than the Merchant Navy class to give greater Route Availability. Tenders used on the West Country locos were slightly smaller than BoB tenders, only holding 5 tons of coal and 4,500 gallons of water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2