Desert Eagle Publishing IDF Antenna Set

Kingsman

I've been looking at this useful-looking set for a while, but was put off by its price and the fact that it seemed to be out of stock everywhere.  Wherever you shop the price seems to be the wrong side of 30 units, whether in £, $ or €.  Of course $30 and £30 are quite different.

Looking at some other things on the Lucky Model site I discovered that they had half a dozen in stock, and had a 20% sale offer - $24 vs the usual $30 (£30 in the UK!), plus shipping.  So I took the plunge.

Anyway, here's what you get.  Not shown is a CD of instructional information: they all look the same anyway!  There's an awful lot of assorted antenna bases included and a couple of the GPS tracking antennas.  Some of the thinner base plates seem to be provided in both resin and etched brass, which is nice.  I don't fancy trying to slice off the resin ones at a consistent thickness.  However, from the large central holes the brass parts might be add-ons to the resin parts.  I haven't actually read the instructions yet as my little laptop I keep downstairs doesn't have a CD drive.........  Sadly only 2 of the nice brass antenna rods complete with section joins end "knobs" are included - but then these antennas are often (usually?) seen bent over and tied back, which you can't do with rigid brass ones.

So I'm forced to conclude that this set isn't actually bad value for money - even at full price.  As of today, Lucky Model still have stock and 20% off.

Wh9HRhf.jpg

zDgLEcV.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I have to agree on balance.  Pricy but good value if you're into modern IDF.

While you can get the GPS antennas from Legend they're £7 or more a pair.  There are 17 spring antenna bases in here, some straight and some bent.  9 packs of RB Model "LAV" spring antenna bases (i.e. 18 bases) will run you probably £18 or more.  And bending and holding down the metal spring ones can be a pain.  So that's £23 just for 2 of the types from other brands, about $29 today.  And you get all the various other bits in here.  The 2 and 3-way bases for command vehicles are unique at the moment and would otherwise need to be scratchbuilt.

On the other hand I think DEP are taking the mickey with the price of their Merkava and Magach battering rams.  I baulked at $35 for the Merk 4 ram even with 20% off.  Their update set for the Meng Merk 4M is over $40.

I've just noticed on the box that the lovely brass antennas are courtesy of Leopard Club.  I might have to get me some more of those.

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I've just bought the same set. Agreed, it is "pricey", but worth it in my opinion.

With regards to the antenna issue, I found a company called Easy Composits, based in Stoke on Trent (UK) who sell 0.28mm carbon fibre rods in 1 meter lengths (keep me going for a long time). Cost was £15.00 Inc p+p for three meters. 

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Edited by Triken