Hullo from Peoples Democratic Republic of Somerset

slow8dirty

Hi there, 

bit late putting up my first proper post, as I have been finishing off my first build. It marks my return to the hobby and has a bit of an "x-factor"(uggh) back story to it. Hobby wise I'm an ex-railway modeller and ex-wargamer, but have gradually back drifted towards plastic kits again as I have enjoyed making stuff more than playing with it of late.

Many years ago my father-in-law picked up a few model kits from a charity shop with hazy ideas of having a go, eventually they were handed to us for my son to have a play with, which didn't happen either.

One of these kits was the venerable(ahem) Airfix beaufighter/Bf`109 dogfight double.

fast forward a few years and I had started on the Beau but for most of last year it had just been sat around with no further progress. Now dad in law has since had a stroke and whilst well recovered isn't up to doing anything with kits, my better half asked if we could present it to him as one of his Fathers Day gifts, nice idea, five days before not so nice!

Only just decided to start up again, no modelling supplies in, busy work week ahead, and I've essentially go a commission job to do as my first kit in 30yrs! This will have to be built traditionally as I did as a boy, but without the ritual shooting down by air rifle that so many of my efforts ended up with back then!

So brush painted, no varnish, no masking,no micro sol, nearly 20yr old decals, how did it go?

42259964014_b13513201a_b.jpg20180623_163328

So there's my first two kits, done deliberately badly to learn a few things and feel my way round, I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out. Oh and the in-law was delighted with it, I think the only kit I'll be making where the other half was literally cheering me on every night. Next project is an old Airfix Catalina, this one will be done with a bit more applied learning I think.

And yes a new tool Beau for myself is definitely in the to do list!

• Like 6

As a Devonian by birth I always considered Somerset “up north somewhere”, but since emigrating to Australia, maybe it wasn’t so far after all?? Anyway, welcome to the forum, I love the bad builds, can’t wait to see some “decent” stuff!! Regards Ian

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ian T said:

As a Devonian by birth I always considered Somerset “up north somewhere”

Once past Cullompton services on the M5 you're into the 'badlands' area where even the Doones treat with caution

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever noticed that any country whose name contains the words people AND democratic, are usually the worst dictatorships to be found on this wretched planet?

I have always had my suspicions about Somerset... now all is clear.

Happy modelling!

JR

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jean said:

Have you ever noticed that any country whose name contains the words people AND democratic, are usually the worst dictatorships to be found on this wretched planet?

I have always had my suspicions about Somerset... now all is clear.

Happy modelling!

JR

Try living in Devon and having to work in Cornwall-land.

19 minutes ago, Darby said:

Try living in Devon and having to work in Cornwall-land.

Hi Darby,

your gripe will not bring tears to my eyes. For my sins, I love both Devon and Cornwall. Shame I am allergic to Wellington boots (it must be the name!).

Not to forget that Devon has given its name to a perfectly boring geological era. You lucky man!

OK, so they are searching you at the border? But at least it is NOT Somerset!!!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jean said:

Not to forget that Devon has given its name to a perfectly boring geological era. You lucky man!

We got bored with Silurian although there was a few wanted to go back to Ordovician (some of these can still be encountered on any given day in Moggins, Plymstock branch; myself not included).

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Are you sure it's the Wellingtons and not the string??  :wicked:

Nah bootneck, that's holding his trousers up/raincoat closed :whistle:

• Haha 3