Airfix DC9 twin build

On behalf of the GB hosts and being similar to you (on the right side of the date line), I most certainly welcome this classic Airfix DC-9 double build Graeme.

Any idea what schemes they'll be?...  VH- registered perhaps??

Cheers and welcome aboard... Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Of Course Dave, I'm leaning towards an Ansett one, with a different livery and a TAA one with a different livery

Well done that man!! This sounds interesting.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Small update, been building but not taking a lot of photos

As I use Superglue as a filler on everything, because it makes easier to do NMF, everything is very hard to see

fuselages all buttoned up a mess of sink holes filled, and wings joined and trailing edges thinned out, don't think you can see any of this

42153409705_fed0734e9e_k.jpgDSCN1312 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

again very hard to see, but on the bottom fuselage half I have started to put in the very distinctive lobe crease so obvious on DC9, then when the fuselage halves go together, I will be working on trying my best to make it look more like the Douglas nose, not Airfix's interpretation, which bears little resemblance to the real thing.

• Like 9

Forgot to mention at the opening about my refences, I have this which is about 3" thick, lot of good drawings of the internals

43188981961_fe1b0309a9_k.jpgDSCN1325 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

41378535180_6d30275747_k.jpgDSCN1323 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Anyway onto the modelling side

I'm still working on the nose

not a lot to see, will need to put some primer on it to work out where I'm at

41286012960_f7d0120d7a_k.jpgDSCN1313 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

it's supposed to look like this, not easy to achieve

43139470172_d542759784_k.jpgFuselage and Cockpit from front by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

One thing about this kit is the way Airfix did the engines, especially the pylons, with an almost impossible to eliminate join between the bit that's on the fuselage and the bit that's on the engine

my fix is to cut it off the engine, which is a whole lot easier than trying to cut it off the fuselage

42470920414_30997212af_k.jpgDSCN1314 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Using a scoring tool and knife each half came off in about a minute

then each half joined and then put on the fuselage

41378538640_0c471c2950_k.jpgDSCN1318 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

mucho betterer

with the other fuselage I drilled out the pressurisation vent, which is a round door that tilts 90 deg, just have to put something behind it, I sort of followed where Airfix had it marked, but my added lobe crease went over it, so made it lower which is more correct anyway, forgot to do this one the first fuselage, so have to live with that.

41378535950_4aa543c987_k.jpgDSCN1322 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

stayed tuned viewers

• Like 8

I'm not in the GB but I'm going to follow this with interest.  You've made a great start.  The Airfix DC-9 is an underrated kit and in the right hands it can come up really well. A recent stash inventory revealed eleven (!) Airfix DC-9s so I'll be glad to have some ideas to encourage me to build them instead of just accumulating them.

Dave G

• Like 3

Slowly getting more done

Wings and all attachments added, although the silver plastic shows like the join hasn't been cleaned up, it has been.

42618169154_948e6c4081_k.jpgDSCN1326 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Siting on it's legs without wheels ready to go into the paintshop

43335393911_a9fe01da78_k.jpgDSCN1327 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

A coat of primer to see where I'm at

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

OK, this is going very slowly now with what I hope is a minor health issue

I am getting coughing fits, Doctor unable to pin down cause just yet, but happens sometimes when I try to do some modelling, and I just have to give it away.

I managed to get some of that Ultimate black primer on what will be the NMF parts, not sure if that is good enough for Alclad by itself

42892382015_ca31610452_k.jpgDSCN1338 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

• Like 4

Yeah get well soon Graeme!

I'm under strict instructions from SWMBO to wear a mask AT ALL TIMES.  Well when modelling I mean.....not like @BIG X 's neighbour who wears a gas mask to go to the shops ;)

But it's amazing how much dust is created if you're doing even just a light bit of sanding......

• Haha 2