1/48th Eduard P-39 Airacobra, Free French Air Force..... FINISHED

Hiya Folks,

I Have had this in the stash for yonks and the box is a little battered and torn,...... I was going to build it in Italian Co Belligerant AF or Free French AF markings and have decided upon the latter,..... for now!

Here is the kit;

42071745765_18941cba06_k.jpgDSCF4286_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

29100880228_74f3e079c0_k.jpgDSCF4287_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42071744215_7742c9ea3e_k.jpgDSCF4288_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Now I am quite tempted to nick some of the roundels from this kit for a French Spitfire that I am building elsewhere,..... but I do like them on the P-39 too!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hiya Folks,

I`ve pre painted the interior parts on th sprues,....including the very handy white metal weight that is included in the kit to prevent it from tail sitting,.....very nice of Eduard to do so,.... thank you. The interiors were given an undercoat of Olive Drab from a Humbrol rattle can then brush painted using Xtracrylics Interior Green.

42973378491_a942534bf6_k.jpgDSCF4330_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28104583907_0967966f06_k.jpgDSCF4331_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28104583467_c7412721e3_k.jpgDSCF4332_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Another one from mt "to do" list! 

Main difference being that you are actually building yours Tony.

I built an Italian one from the old Monogram kit a few years ago and really enjoyed it so I would like to build an Eduard one for comparison, and I do have the kit in the stash...

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,..... I`ve started to stick the bits together today while watching the World Cup football.

Here is the cockpit assembled and inserted inside the cockpit,.... note the white metal nose weight.... an excellent idea for a kit;

.29117295318_e36a65fd89_k.jpgDSCF4348 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

29117294848_7d97e09c09_k.jpgDSCF4349 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42088057085_f8f16c6594_k.jpgDSCF4350 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Then the fuselage halves were joined,...... and the wings were also assembled,...... what a nice easy kit this is,...lovely fit too;

42088057085_f8f16c6594_k.jpgDSCF4350 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And the wings dry fitted in place,..... ready to be glued;

29117293028_f195138b5e_k.jpgDSCF4355 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Good morning Tony

Very good start and an excellent choice of markings 👍..

I wish I had more time to spend on building kits beacause each time I watch one of your builds I think that I would like to build one Spit / Hurricane / Mustang and so on ...

Cheers

Patrice  

• Like 2

Cheers Patrice,

I have found a reference photo of the French P-39 from the decal sheet,....... the Olive Drab appears to be very faded;

French-P-39-01

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Sanded the model today, with a small amount of filler around the wing roots,.......

DSCF4386

The canopy has been added tonight too,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,...... well I`ve got the Olive Drab onto the Airacobra,..... as it appears to be quite faded in the photo I`ve gone for a lighter hue;

DSCF4450_NEW

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 6

Great progress on this Eduard P-39. This kit was one of the first of those kits that blew me away when it first came out. 

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

Thanks fellas,.....

23 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Great progress on this Eduard P-39. This kit was one of the first of those kits that blew me away when it first came out. 

Yeah the kit blew me away too and it certainly put Eduard on the WW2 modellers map after their WW1 stuff,..... the metal nose weight, was a great touch too.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Looking very good Tony.

Which colour did you use for the OD, or did you lighten some OD? Either way it looks very good and is a nice smooth finish.

I cheated and used a rattle can for the Olive Drab,...... TS-28 Olive Drab 2,......to try and match the faded look of the real aeroplane. I have just brushed on the Neutral Grey undersides.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Here is the model with the grey undersides applied,..... with two coats of Polly Scale Neutral Grey brushed on and Humbrol ebamel 25 for the blue spinner;

DSCF4503_NEW

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Great work and choice of scheme Tony,built one a year or two back as an RAF machine.

Cheers Steve,...... I built one yonks ago as an RAF one too,... I`d forgotten just how nice this kit is,..... I have a couple more in the stash,.... so a USAAF one from Tunisia and either RAAF or Italian AF are a must!

Cheers

Toy

Hiya Folks,...... what a day,...... got the decals on today,.....sealed them with enamel gloss varnish and thanks to the heat wave we are having in the UK the varnish had dried by this evening so I was able to matt varnish it too, then add a watercolour wash!

Here is the model after the decals and first coat of matt varnish was applied,... although my old Aeromaster stuff is more like satin varnish than matt these days;

DSCF4505_NEWDSCF4506_NEW

The blue in the roundels is actually darker than it appears in these pics,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,

Here is the model part way through having the watercolour wash removed, using a damp paper towel, to leave some behind in the recessed detail;

DSCF4510_NEWDSCF4509_NEW

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

This is looking great Tony and apologies for leaving it this late to leave a comment. 

So if read this thread correctly, the recent UK heatwave has actually allowed you to model even quicker? Imagine what your output would be if you lived in the tropics!!! Another fine MTO build in the making to add to the 20 something already on here. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Haha 2

Hiya Folks,

Well the Airacobra is also finished,.... although I cracked the canopy while removing the masking,... doh!

DSCF4516_NEWDSCF4517_NEWDSCF4519_NEWDSCF4518_NEWDSCF4521_NEWDSCF4522_NEWDSCF4524_NEWDSCF4523_NEWDSCF4515_NEW

As a part rattle can, part brush painting project I really enjoyed this one,... (apart from the cracked canopy!),... and want to make an Italian one soon too,  

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Another brilliant result Tony.

I can't believe how quickly you are churning these great builds out, and all to a very high standard.

Very well done mate.

Cheers buddy! Must admit I`m getting a bit jaded now,..... and I`m on another GB now too!  

• Like 1

Another quick-fire stunner there Tony.

The final results are always great to view and highlights the fact that even without pre/post shading techniques, superb and realistic finishes can still be achieved.  

Cheers and well done (for the zillionth time!!)... Dave. 

• Like 1

It went fast, wow. Tony, you will be a king in weekend's GB build. I know one is coming soon. 😀

Nice kit, you are in Free French  I see. I know a little about that part of aviation history. Maybe is time to catch up.  😀

Edited by Franz75
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Franz75 said:

It wen fast, wow. Tony, you will be a king in weekend's GB build. I know one is coming soon. 😀

Nice kit, you are in Free French  I see. I know a little about that part of aviation history. Maybe is time to catch up.  😀

Thanks Franz,.... I didn`t even know there were any weekend GB`s,.... maybe too little time ...... even for me eh!

s for Free French,..... I`ve no real deep down interest in just French aircraft, I just like to go for the colour schemes which are less well known and also represent the allies from around the Commonwealth and Europe who fought alongside the UK & USA.

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot

• 2 weeks later...