1903flight

I was think about what I could do for this group build - plant of Hawks and Tornados to choose from, but thanks to @Pete in Lincs, this turned up in the post today:

28104224027_83099f0160_b.jpg

I was think about adding this to the Airfix: The Golden Years GB build, but as I already have one in that group build and I will not be starting this until next week, the extra time in this group build could be useful.  So as I plan to build this in Austrian colours, in fits here as well.

I have tracked down and orders an etch set from IPMS Austria, so hoping to build with the ramp down.

• Like 7

Will be watching as I have this one in the stash.

My plan is a Sultan of Oman gunship.

Yes, it will be a whiff so not for this GB.

Phil

Hi Phil,

That is an interesting idea. I am currently reading Gunships by Wayne Mutza and I had wondered what a Skyvan gunship would have looked like. A couple of mini guns in the rear windows?

James

This model was first released in 1975, but do not think it has been re released to offen. So here is a few pics of what is in the box.  Firstly the scheme that I will be building this as...

41162789810_cb1b56c9c4_b.jpg

There are six grey spure and one clear one. These are the two with the fuselage sides on:

42071418355_0a0059a305_b.jpg

That is some rivet detail. Need to see how these look on under a coat of paint. 

Under wings and some of the internal details. The kit comes with a complete set of seating - airline seat 3 in a row and canvas seating along the fuselage sides for the military variants. 

42254354164_3650ae5970_b.jpg

The lower wings and the fuselage top and bottom. 

42254361334_a6a6784b67_b.jpg

The clear parts. 

42973071631_c82913ec5d_b.jpg

The cockpit glazing looks a bit ‘foggy’,  this will need polishing - not something I have ever managed to do successfully. The cabin windows have dimples in, so I think I might try Deluxe Materials’ Glue n Glaze to replace these. 

There are some ejector pin marks on the fuselage inside, so the first step will be to fill these, while I wait for the etch set to arrive. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1903flight said:

Hi Phil,

That is an interesting idea. I am currently reading Gunships by Wayne Mutza and I had wondered what a Skyvan gunship would have looked like. A couple of mini guns in the rear windows?

James

Was trying to stay with weapons they would have had back in the 70’s.  Possibly a 20mm and a .50 cal but maybe a minigun or two.

18 hours ago, 1903flight said:

That is some rivet detail. Need to see how these look on under a coat of paint. 

James,

Those rivets are probably more authentic than the divots made by one of those so-called riveting tools, I'm sure they'll look splendid under paint, if not you could sand them to knock them back a little, but I wouldn't remove them totally.

Anyway, I have one of these in the stash so I'm keen to see what can be done with it.  Good luck and welcome to the GB.

Welcome to the GB !

The Skyvan was one of the AIrfix kit I wanted to have when I was a kid... then for some reason when I could afford one I had forgotten. This thread may relight my interest in buying one ! 😁

Will be cool to see a camouflaged Skyvan, don't think I've seen that many

Thanks all.

@zebra - it was your build that started this off.

@Wez - I think you are right about the rivets, under a coat of paint then should be fine. In the image below those rivets to stand out.

Short-SC.7-SRS-3M-Skyvan-10.jpg

Going to put a couple of useful links for Austrian Skyvans here, so that I do not lose them...

Walk around - http://kitchecker.de/walkaround-short-sc-7-srs-3m-skyvan/

Information and a few nice images - http://www.doppeladler.com/oebh/luftfahrzeuge/skyvan.htm

The kit instructions give Humbrol 155 Olive Drab and 195 Dark Green as the colours  - I believe that these represent RAL 7013 RAL 6020.  I normally use Xtracolor paints for the exterior and paint4models gives X114 Medium green as a match to RAL6020

A search for RAL 7013, gives an FS match as 34087/34084, which would be equivalent to X111 Olive Drab.

Will see how they look on some plastic later on. 

James

• Like 2

Look what has just arrived in the post....

29126373228_af18f96737_b.jpg

Thank you IPMS Austria

Edited by 1903flight
  • Like 4

Start on the interior, one fuselage side and the cockpit and cabin floor.  

42978006622_df36396664_b.jpg

used Humbrol 87 for the interior colour,  appears To be a go match to the pre paint etch in the cockpit.  Need to decide on the colour of the cockpit seats next

• Like 6

I too built one of these many years ago. 

I remember the riveting was very over done so would recommend a good sanding before assembly, especially with all that lovely pe going inside. 

Colin 

• 2 weeks later...

While slow progress is being made on the interior, should have some pictures tomorrow, I have been researching what to do with the cockpit glazing. It has a yellow tint to it....

41462490860_c80f479f04_b.jpg

So I have never used Kleer before, but having read around looks like this stuff is the same..

29402469958_3ecc62e49a_b.jpg

and at £1.29 a bottle, at lot cheaper. 

Going to to test on a spare canopy first ....

29402473738_654a24506d_b.jpg

• Like 1

So I dipped the test canopy this morning....

41512214860_6cebd84868_b.jpg

Not really the best photo, but up close it does appear to shine more, so not damaged it then.  Will test one set of the fuselage windows tonight.

• Like 1

I'll need to keep an eye on this thread from now on as I've just won one of these as part of a lot of three kits at my local auction house. It was worth the tenner just to stop them going in the skip! But what I'm going to do with a started (but all there) Airfix Control Tower and a Hasagawa Huey I don't know as they don't fit the theme of my stash.

So progress so far, cockpit just about finished and cabin painted 

29517585528_d494184385_b.jpg

cabin seating next to go in next. 

Cockpit glaze are has been dipped and is currently drying. 

So so far have fitted 10 grams of lead under the cabin floor, I think I will need some in the nose wheel bay. 

• Like 3