1/72 Messerschmit Me.163B-1 Komet

Looking pristine and very ready for paint, Smudge, and you'll be glad to have found out that you have all week to do it! Good luck and looking forward to the camo. All the best, Mike

• Like 2

Thanks very much guys. Stuff keeps getting in the way of the modeling, but I did actually get the spray booth set up and managed to get a coat of paint on.

20181008_213619

20181008_213538

Well, the end result seems to be reasonable. There were a couple of little issues here and there with some attention needed to feather in the edges of the filler at the wing roots.

If all goes to plan I'm in with a chance of making the gallery. 

Fingers crossed, cheers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Lovely job. I wish Airfix would re-release this one. I took my kids down to East Fortune during the summer where they have an original one of these on display and they were fascinated by it. Tiny little thing and must have been ‘interesting’ to fly. Looking forward to seeing the paint go on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Capri3 said:

Lovely job. I wish Airfix would re-release this one. I took my kids down to East Fortune during the summer where they have an original one of these on display and they were fascinated by it. Tiny little thing and must have been ‘interesting’ to fly. Looking forward to seeing the paint go on.

Not only interesting to fly, but VERY interesting to land apparently as unburnt fuel had a tendency to explode under the force of that skid hitting the ground :o Rather them than me, but that goes for a lot of mark 1 technological leaps forward.

Lovely smooth finish on the model - all sorts of detail popping out.  Looking forward to the next stage.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The upper surface colours are on now. I used gloss colours for the first time, to help with the decaling apparently. I went ahead and applied the decals, using some Microset/sol and it seems to have worked out ok. No silvering. The thing is rather shiny though, so the next task will be a matt clear coat and some light weathering.

20181012_094848

20181012_094826

• Like 10

On 09/10/2018 at 09:14, Capri3 said:

I wish Airfix would re-release this one. I took my kids down to East Fortune during the summer where they have an original one of these on display and they were fascinated by it. Tiny little thing and must have been ‘interesting’ to fly.

Thank you. I saw one at the Imperial War Museum, as a young lad. I found it fascinating too, still do :)

I've really enjoyed making this old Airfix kit, but if you want to make a Komet I think the Academy kit would be the way to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

The upper surface colours are on now. I used gloss colours for the first time, to help with the decaling apparently. I went ahead and applied the decals, using some Microset/sol and it seems to have worked out ok. No silvering. The thing is rather shiny though, so the next task will be a matt clear coat and some light weathering.

The Komet is looking fantastic, Smudge. A lot of work gone into the paint scheme and transfers there. I seem to always have a mix of gloss and matt paints to varying degrees so end up giving any aircraft a coat of gloss varnish before putting on the transfers. You can see the difference in your paintwork looking a lot 'tighter' to the surfaces. Well done. All the best, Mike. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This little deadly flea is looking amazing Smudge. Nice camo application, it's come out quite neat. Don't over weather this little fella as chances are it didn't last that long on the front line. A slightly Matt final coat will blend this all together nicely and finish of what has been a great build to watch. 

Cheees.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Big X recommended using some Windsor and Newton matt varnish to tone it down a bit, as I am not too happy with some of my 'matt' varnishes, which seem to be more of a satin finish. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get hold of any yet, so I am persevering with what I have. The finish is not quite as matt as I would like, but with the end of the GB looming, I am going to have to call this one done. I did try a little weathering, but as suggested by @Rabbit Leader these little Komets probably weren't around long enough to look too tatty.

Thanks for following me along :)

20181013_194833

More pictures in the Gallery.

All the best.

• Like 10

Really like what you've done with this 163 Smudge. It's a tiny model in 1/72nd scale and this just emphasises your excellent modelling skills to make this thing look so good.

Cheers and thanks so much for taking part.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1