1/72 Messerschmit Me.163B-1 Komet

Well, in for a penny in for a pound. I couldn't let the Airfix GB slip by without at least one aircraft entry. Only a small one with a very minimal parts count, so I should be ok to finish (he said crossing his fingers).

20180622_175055

20180625_205406

I have made one of these before, if I recall it's all fairly straightforward. Just a matter of what extras to add in the way of scratch built detail. Probably do a bit in the cockpit as it is fairly minimalistic in there.

I am a bit of a fan of this aircraft. Quite an amazing little machine, if rather dangerous to operate. I remember seeing one at the Imperial War Museum back in the 1970's, and recently on a day out in London when we popped into the Science Museum. They have one in the Flight Gallery.

20180622_175308

I couldn't resist opening it up. I felt strangely nostalgic as I sliced through the little blister pack and breathed in that 70's air.

20180623_180140

20180623_180112

I might pop this one on the stand :coolio:

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Smudge
Picture added
  • Like 11

I've never seen the sprues for this kit, so thanks for taking these clear photographs. They look quite neat.

Looking forward to seeing this one build up quickly.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing this one get underway.

I remember it coming out when I was a kid and being really excited about getting one. Great box art too. 

Quite rare and expensive these days.

Enjoy the build.

Cheers Greg 😀

• Like 3

On 24/06/2018 at 07:49, Rabbit Leader said:

I've never seen the sprues for this kit,

It's quite a nice little kit. A bit short on detail. I was just looking at some references and noticed there are no armament/cannon openings in the wing leading edges. On the plus side the surface detail is nicely done. Raised detail, but very fine. I will have to go easy and try to preserve as much as I can.

21 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Quite rare and expensive these days.

Oh, I didn't realise that. Too late now. I'd better not mess it up :)

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 4

So off we go. A bit of test fitting.

20180625_205434

20180623_180559

Everything looked pretty good. The only niggle was the slight gap at the wing joint. The wings seem to fit snugly on the underside, but leave a slight gap on the top. I scraped away at the inside of the wing joint and, this helped achieve a nicer fit.

20180625_205505

I cleaned up the seam lines which are on most of the parts, and started some assembly. The cockpit is rather sparse, but then the real thing was not exactly roomy. I think that this will probably be enough. I will try and detail the instrument panel, and add some seat belts, but probably not much more

20180625_205618

20180625_205634

I was thinking of doing an in flight aircraft, using the stand. But this little fellow is not a Komet pilot. They wore a very distinctive flight suit and mask. Besides, the ground handling and take off trolley is rather nice and it would be a shame not to use it.

20180625_205653

Cheers guys.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I don't appear to have anymore distractions (and I don't even like watching football, usually) I find I have time to do something more interesting.

A bit of paint and some tape seat belts.

20180713_182108

I drilled out a few dials in the centre of the panel, and added a few drops of clear fix, to try and replicate more closely the real thing. The Airfix panel is actually quite good.

20180713_182706

I found a few pictures of Komets with their cannon ports faired over with doped patches (Spitfire/Hurricane style) and was tempted to take the easy way out and depict them so, but in the end I opted to drill them out. 

20180713_184738

I think that looks a bit better.

Cheers.

• Like 10

I was going to say "that's crazy, how can that fuel be legal", then I saw it was being flown as a glider. Way too fast on his approach though!

Ian

• Haha 2

takes me (us?) back! And Airfix Modellers club badge too..... just googled that -  ran until 1981, membership reached 150,000. Dick Emery (remember him?) was 'President'...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 14/07/2018 at 18:02, limeypilot said:

Way too fast on his approach though!

I don't think Komet's make the best gliders!

On 15/07/2018 at 08:30, FalkeEins said:

Dick Emery (remember him?) was 'President'...

Ha ha yes, FalkeEins. 'You are awful, but I like you'.  :)

(Dick Emery catch phrase, for those who might be wondering)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, typical isn't it. You do lots of dry fitting and fettling and everything looks tickety boo. Then you commit to gluing the bits together and .........hang on, that's not quite right <_<

The wings had a definite dihedral (upwards sweep), when they should really be straight (neutral). I had to bend them down a little to achieve the correct look, unfortunately leaving a slight gap on the upper wing root join. A little Plastic Putty should fix it ok.

20180717_215432

20180717_220206

There was also a nasty ridge at the join on the lower starboard wing. I have tried the 'masking tape method' to try a protect some of the moulded detail, and used some wet n dry to sand away at the plastic to try and reduce it for a better fit.

20180717_215547

Besides those little issues, it all seems to be coming along.

Cheers guys.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lawzer. Yes, she's a bit of a tiddler (well spotted on the cocktail sticks. I don't know how I used to make models without them). Here she is with a familiar object for scale.

I have cut out and repositioned the rudder, just to give it a bit of character.

2018-07-28_05-04-03

I filled the gaps at the wing join, and underside wing tips. PPP worked fine and is so much easier to use than some of the other 'old school' stuff.

20180728_163305

20180728_163209

No need for filler anywhere else (not that there is much else) the centre line seam cleaned up nicely.

Tidying up the little propeller that is such a feature of the Komet. Some kind of generator I guess. I will have to look that up.

20180728_163700

My hand vice is really 'handy' for these little jobs.  

Cheers, Guys.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Cheers Lawzer. Yep, that is pretty small. We'll I have been absent for a little while, but have been doing a bit here and there. I wasn't too pleased with the kit pitot tube/prope. I used some very small diameter hollow brass tube to make a replacement. 

20180816_085129

Quite pleased with that.

I have ordered some resin Revi gunsight's, so they should be here in a day or two, which will be mounted on the bar across the front of the cockpit.

Cheers.

• Like 4

great picture @TonyW - I've never actually seen a mould before!  It makes me realize the craftsmanship and work that must have gone into the older moulds - guess it would all be done by computer controlled machines these days.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TonyW said:

Back in 2010, I visited the Airfix facility in Margate. The Me163 metal mould was on display there.

Quite a lump of metal for such a tiny kit. The Vulcan mould must have been a whopper!

Tony.

Ah , my question is answered in that the little sign in the bottom left indicates that there must also be  a'male' half to the mould that fits on top to provide the other side to the parts. Maybe it also has holes for ejector pins - nasty things which make marks on that perfect plastic.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been tinkering away at the old Komet. I got a nice little Revi 16b Gunsight from Quickboost. Much nicer than something I would have made out of a block of plastic.

20180912_160555

20180912_160620

Just a few little things to do, and then the painting.

20180912_160835

A little mock up with the trolley.

20180912_160935

Cheers guys.

• Like 11