Academy B-34 Lexington

Have slowly been working on the Academy / Minicraft PV-1 Early Versions it, and will be painting it to represent a B-34 Lexington. 

Academy 1/72

So far I have added rudder pedals and the divider bar for them, and control levers to the console. Next: More accurate control sticks, seat pads, seat belts, the fire extinguisher mounted on the bulkhead behind the pilot seats, and the fold away guard at the top of the staircase that began at the co-pilots feet. 

If I get ambitious, I may try to add the full bombardiers station. Does anyone have reference for that?

This is all for now, but more will be up soon.

Thanks, Tweener

B-34 Lexington WIP

• Like 1

A little bit of progress - fire extinguisher and control sticks added, instrument panel decal applied, and seats painted Tamiya Khaki. Next, belts for pilots seat, some final painting (including wash), sealing, mounting and closing the fuselage halves. That should happen tomorrow.

Thanks, Tweener

B-34 Cockpit

B-34 Cockpit

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Bit more of an update. Fuselage halves have been joined and tailplanes mounted.

B-34 Lexington Stairs

More importantly, I used some plastic card to build part of the staircase leading into the bombardiers position. Next step is to mount the right side of the nose and then add the actual floor of said position, again from plastic sheeting. Fire extinguisher was moved down to accommodate the windscreen. It will be repainted soon. 

Edited by Tweener
  • Like 1

On another note, as I plan to begin exterior painting, does anyone know what paint I should use for "Light Gray" undersides? I had assumed the color would have been sky but this has been shown to be incorrect. 

Don`t forget to fill in the door shape on the right hand side of the fuselage,..... the door was only on the left! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tweener said:

On another note, as I plan to begin exterior painting, does anyone know what paint I should use for "Light Gray" undersides? I had assumed the color would have been sky but this has been shown to be incorrect. 

Just came upon your thread

Many of the B34 Lexington's (if not all) were for RAF orders so would have been in RAF colours, which

would have included Sky or Duck Egg Blue undersides if painted in RAF TLS

This preserved B34 here in Auckland at MOTAT has RAF interior colours (RNZAF received quite a number of B34's that

were RAF orders, flown by the USAAF before being handed over) If Lockheed got the interior colours right, the exterior would

done the same I would think.

Ex RNZAF B34

Regards

Alan