Typhoon tranche differences wanted

speedy

Hi folks,

is there somewhere that lists the tranche differences for the Typhoon if I wanted to modify the 1/32 Revell kit (twinseater)

Steve.

The RAF has taken delivery of its Typhoon fleet in difference batches (tranches) each of which have improved capabilities, subject to funding the older aircraft may be brought up to the same standard as later deliveries.

I'm not sure if this summary from Wikipedia would help.  I looks like most of the differences are internal or software related, the only external differences appear to be the fittings for the conformal fuel tanks carried by the Tranche 3A aircraft and I think some of the earlier aircraft lacked an underwing pylon.

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

It would help if I knew what "tranche " meant.

Chris

Chris,

you could you you say that Typhoon tranche is the equivalent to F-16 blocks'

Steve.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sanguin said:

Ah, but 'tranche' is so much more exotic and expensive-sounding...

John

Very much my own thoughts, batch or block is so much more sensible but not so nearly "I've more esoteric knowledge than you have" :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

Well, we Brits used 'mark' numbers to differentiate upgraded versions, some Europeans used 'serie' in the same way, suffixes of A, B, C etc also worked well.

Block numbers are a more recent innovation.

However, 'tranche' offers a 'je ne  sai quoi' that all of those miss.

The 'Mk google' version of the venerable OED on line:  https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/tranche 

What more can I say?

John

Apologies for the thread drift, but the heat has gone to my senses.

Just to add to the mix, Tranche is not equivalent to the US block, as Typhoon has (production) blocks as well as Tranches - so Tranche 1 was Blocks 1/2,5, Tranche 2 was 8, 10, 15 and 20 and Tranche 3 is everything since.

Effectively, the Tranche system is a result of the political production decisions - so the first batch ordered were Tranche 1, the second Tranche 2 and everything else Tranche 3A.

There are computer and software differences between the Tranches, but this is as a result of the production blocks as much as the Tranches. I was wrong earlier, the PIRATE IRST was introduced on T1 Block 5. Most of the differences don't reflect in the external appearance

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Thanks 1

Well, I was born an English speaking Eastern Canadian. Now I live in predominantly English-speaking Western Canada. As this forum is based in the UK and everything posted here needs to be in English, some under-used mainland European language words can be expected to be not understood. I do not ever remember hearing or seeing  " Tranche " before.

Chris

• Like 1

Dictionary:

Tranche     A Noun.

Definition - A portion of something, especially money.

Example- ‘they released the first tranche of the loan’

Origin- Late 15th century: from Old French, literally ‘slice’.

Selwyn

• Like 1