Test support Viper 83-00172

Red Dot

Jumping on the back of Sven's fantastic Edwards posts, here's a picture of one F-16 from the Edwards AFB show in October 1996 complete with nose wheel door art. Being a modeller, i had to risk death to step over the rope to get the picture :-). I always knew it would come in handy some day, but not 22 years later!

Perhaps Sven has a story behind this airframe??

Andy

f-16.jpg

art.jpg

• Like 9

On 6/23/2018 at 8:09 AM, Red Dot said:

Perhaps Sven has a story behind this airframe??

Not much to say about this jet. 83-1172 arrived at Edwards in late 1989/early 1990. She was one of the last F-16B jets.  Here's '172 on the 6516th ramp in September 1990.

83-1172 6512ts ED KEDW 19900906 33cr

In 1989, the Flight Test Center was beginning to retire the F-4s and F-16A/Bs were trickling in to replace them in the test support and Test Pilot School roles.

'172 on the Test Ops ramp in October 1991. The M61 cannon has been replaced by a data acquisition system, evidenced by the orange sheet metal patch over the aft gun bay vents. This would have been in preparation for her to become a Test Pilot School curriculum aircraft

83-1172 6512ts ED KEDW 19911100 31cr

TPS airframes were also used for test support when not being used by TPS. (TPS student flying sessions were usually in the mornings and classroom sessions were in the afternoon.)

83-1172 6512ts ED KEDW 19900822 11cr

By the time I left Edwards at the end of 1992. '172 may have gone to the Bozo scheme, but I didn't get any photos of her in white. Interestingly, there are images of her from around 2000/01  where she is all white with no red conspicuity markings.

As your images, and the Hasegawa 1/72 "AFFTC" issue confirm, she became a TPS bird and I'm thinking by the nose art reference that she was a dedicated Flying Qualities curriculum jet. The shake, rattle, and roll legend is reference to the maneuvers used to evaluate airframe response to various control inputs and store loadings. When I went through TPS, my flying qualities airframe was the RF-4C. I'd swear we held the record for 360-deg rolls in a single mission! There I go waxing sentimental about Rhinos again...

Sven

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Old Viper Tester said:

There I go waxing sentimental about Rhinos again...

That's perfectly OK, speaking for the rest of us who have never had the pleasure of flying one! BTW, thank you for your service, sir!

Mike

• Thanks 1