Viggen LIDARed at Newark

chrisov

"Wonder who thats for? "

Lets do some deductive analysis.

Newark Air Museum is in Great Britain.

Airfix is known for LIDARing aircraft found in museums.

So we can deduce that the most likely company doing it is Airfix. And when you add to this that its 1/72 Viggen is not one of the best around we can be quite confident to state that it not Special Hobby that has been at it!

Intriguing news!

Also, SAAB would probably have lots of drawings available, and Mr Owens was in Stockholm a while ago.

Coincidence?

Special Hobbys 1/72 Viggen is not far off, and from the test shot I saw in October it looks great.

But I do welcome an Airfix one!

32 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Special Hobbys 1/72 Viggen is not far off, and from the test shot I saw in October it looks great.

But I do welcome an Airfix one!

Opportunism, I don't like it, I'd prefer to see Airfix making a new Draken, or Saab 21, or 91, or a Lancen or a Tunnan... very much left to do in 1/72!

Or maybe Airfix is going the 1/48 way, or maybe it isn't Airfix that was LIDARing it, time will tell... 😛 

• Like 1

You have to think this was for Airfix. Has Tamiya been known to LIDAR any of their aircraft subjects; they have a history of doing more esoteric subjects along with the more conventional subject matter? There are preserved Viggens in Czechia and Germany, which you would think would be more convenient for a Czech company (Special Hobby) or Revell to access. Trumpeter has not been known to LIDAR any of the subjects of their kits, mores the pity. 

If it was Airfix, we likely won't know for at least a year as they refine the design of the kit, but this sounds promising. The big question is whether the kit will be 1/72 or 1/48, although my money would be on 1/72.

19 minutes ago, spaddad said:

Could go for one of those but its going to be at least £21 so maybe not.

It's a pretty long way from "Viggen LIDARed at Newark" to "I think the Airfix 1/72 Viggen that is definitely coming out is going to be overpriced at more than £21..."

Personally, I doubt that a 1/72 Viggen fits into Airfix's range strategy anyway... so we're left with the possibility that the LIDARing was done by *any other model kit company in the world*, for a model *in any scale* or for a Corgi diecast *or any other die-cast company in the world* and it will be sold for *any price between £15 and £1200 (for a 1/24 scale model sold a few pieces at a time on the front of a partwork)*

Not so much jumping to conclusions as taking a run-up followed by a flying leap in the general direction of the Archipelago of Conclusions, missing the landing completely and falling over the edge of the world...

😜

best,

M.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

It's a pretty long way from "Viggen LIDARed at Newark" to "I think the Airfix 1/72 Viggen that is definitely coming out is going to be overpriced at more than £21..."

Personally, I doubt that a 1/72 Viggen fits into Airfix's range strategy anyway... so we're left with the possibility that the LIDARing was done by *any other model kit company in the world*, for a model *in any scale* or for a Corgi diecast *or any other die-cast company in the world* and it will be sold for *any price between £15 and £1200 (for a 1/24 scale model sold a few pieces at a time on the front of a partwork)*

Not so much jumping to conclusions as taking a run-up followed by a flying leap in the general direction of the Archipelago of Conclusions, missing the landing completely and falling over the edge of the world...

😜

best,

M.

Only going off Airfix's past & current pricing practices,current version of the Lightning is £21, a new tool Viggen won't be any cheaper, might even match the Phantom.

At no point did I state it was definitely coming out, maybe if less people blindly defended Airfix they wouldn't chance their arm so much with pricing, example being the 2 seat Me-262 being £6 dearer than the single seat kit.

My thoughts are that - although it sounds like Airfix it just doesn’t fit in to their current thinking of offering subjects capable of being re-boxed with other nations markings. IMO a Viggen is almost the last subject that fits this bill and with the new SH kit not far away, why risk it and go there? 

Perhaps they’ve contracted their equipment out to help raise badly needed funds for the parent company. This equipment doesn’t make money just sitting around I suppose. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Difficult to believe that anything as generally unknown as a Lincoln would fit into Airfix's plans, either.  Yes, I know it and you know it, but it would make a big model and would it sell?  I think most of us could come up with a fairly long list of comparatively well-known 4-engined types that would sell better, including B-24, Halifax and Stirling...  But a Viggen could be well-enough known to sell.

10 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Wasn’t there the rumour that the Lincoln at Cosford was LIDAR’D a few years back. The Sea Fury and Phantom scans were noted.... Lincoln for 2019?

A Lincoln??? - I'd give my first born away for one of those!!! 

Actually he is almost 17 now and a pain in the neck (at times) - still up for trade even without a Lincoln being announced. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 7

The Lincoln was flown by three air forces, one of which being Argentina’s.  Airfix included Argentinian markings in one of their 1/48th Canberra kits.  RAF Lincolns wore 3 main colour schemes: Tiger Force (as does the Airfix Lancaster B. I(FE), Dark Green/Dark Earth/Night and Medium Sea Grey/Glossy Anti-searchlight Black.  Codes and serials were Night, Red or White and the serials could be in 8” or 48” characters (Red or White respectively).  Throw in some individual markings and coloured spinners for a bit of variation and the combat veteran factor, and let’s not forget the (not so) High Speed Silver Australian Mk. 30s and 31s (1/48th Meteor in RAAF Korean War markings).  As the Lincoln and early Shackleton shared wing and undercarriage components, dorsal turret, plus Universal Power Plant engine cowlings, a good case could be made for an Airfix Lincoln before the 80th anniversary of the type’s first flight in 2024.

Edited by stever219

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

My thoughts are that - although it sounds like Airfix it just doesn’t fit in to their current thinking of offering subjects capable of being re-boxed with other nations markings. IMO a Viggen is almost the last subject that fits this bill and with the new SH kit not far away, why risk it and go there? 

Perhaps they’ve contracted their equipment out to help raise badly needed funds for the parent company. This equipment doesn’t make money just sitting around I suppose. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On the other hand, the Viggen has a 34 year service history and appeared in a number of different colour schemes. I believe there is also still an airworthy example that is displayed regularly. There are more marking options than there were for the Swift FR.5, which only flew with 2 squadrons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laurent said:

Perhaps it for a DCS World module, not for a plastic model kit.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.  Could have been film related, too.  Or just a stock 3D model site.  

• Like 1

Just a point of pedantry - the RAAF's Lincolns were sprayed silver, not "bare tin". In the environment in which they operated, bare metal would have made them corrode even quicker than they did!

12 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

On the other hand, the Viggen has a 34 year service history and appeared in a number of different colour schemes. I believe there is also still an airworthy example that is displayed regularly. There are more marking options than there were for the Swift FR.5, which only flew with 2 squadrons.

Swift flew with 3 squadrons - 2, 79 & 4. Admittedly 4 SQN only flew them for a mater of months, after the re numbering of 79 SQN, and not all of them had had 79 SQN markings removed before the Swift was replaced by Hunter FR.10s. If I could find decals for a 4 SQN Swift,  that will be another Swift Airfix would sell. 

5 hours ago, 1903flight said:

If I could find decals for a 4 SQN Swift,  that will be another Swift Airfix would sell. 

I bought all of the Alley Cat sets for converting the Airfix FR.5 to an F.1, F.2-F.4, and FR.7. I ended up buying quite a few Swift kits.

Edited by VMA131Marine

A Viggen fits with the Airfix remit of replacing old back catalogue moulds, think I read somewhere that the kit of the prototype sold pretty well (I had several) as did their old Draken.

Paul Harrison

22 hours ago, Laurent said:

Perhaps it for a DCS World module, not for a plastic model kit.

That's unlikely, as I think that's out now, so it would be a bit "horse before cart" :hmmm:

It could be Airfix, but then just because companies haven't LIDARed their kits in the past, doesn't mean they can't start :shrug:

Don't let that distract you from wishing for a new Viggen in your own personal favourite (the one true scale) scale though ;)

I'm gonna throw out a long-shot.  1:24 Viggen by Airfix :cwl:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's unlikely, as I think that's out now, so it would be a bit "horse before cart" :hmmm:

You're right still my point was that guys laser-scanning an aircraft doesn't imply that that a plastic model is in the works. A Su-22 was scanned at the Cottbus museum two years ago. I'm not sure it was done to produce a new Su-22 plastic kit.

30 minutes ago, Laurent said:

You're right still my point was that guys laser-scanning an aircraft doesn't imply that that a plastic model is in the works. A Su-22 was scanned at the Cottbus museum two years ago. I'm not sure it was done to produce a new Su-22 plastic kit.

Very true - I think we're on the same page there ^_^

21 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

And the rivets and panel lines are way off in some areas ! :)

Edited by Richard E