1/144 Qantas Boeing 747-200 (Converted from Zvezda 747-8)

Another beautiful airliner Ian, well done.

Can I ask a question about the AA cabin windows? I know they're meant to be applied over a white finish to allow the detail to show through, but did you just apply them to the ochre cheatline or over white window shapes? I've only ever applied them to a white fuselage.

Great work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I use the AA decals myself a lot as well and I can tell you that they can be applied on any background, as I have done so myself many times, and the background will not shine through (preserving all the nice details). This excellent model by Ian or my recent KLM dc-10 are examples of this.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff and Russ,

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes Jeff, as Martijn says, AA windows can be applied over any colour. I don't think the same can necessarily be said for other manufacturer's photo realistic windows though.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 9:18 AM, FAAMAN said:

Just the way they looked, bravo sir on a superb rendition of what I think was the best Quantas livery, and you've modelled the 747 my Aunt Dizz flew to Blighty for hols in (VH-EBG) :clap2:

What is the world coming to, an Aussie that can't spell QANTAS!!!!!!! :D

• Haha 3

Wow, that beauty sure brings back memories! In 1975 at the tender age of seven I went on my first family holiday back to old Blighty on one of these big birds. TAA shorty 727 from Adelaide to Perth where we picked up the 747 which flew Perth-Bangkok-New Delhi-Muscat-London IIRC. I remember being able to visit the flight deck, and as there was practically no-one in first class and being on my best behaviour I was allowed to stay in the upstairs lounge for a while. The flight back, also on a Qantas 747 was a real marathon affair, again IIRC, London-Frankfurt-Bahrain-Karachi-Calcutta-Singapore-Sydney-Melbourne with a final connecting leg to Adelaide on a TAA DC-9. Just looking at your gorgeous model is a real memory trigger to these, my first flights, it is quite uncanny, thank you for sharing!

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Well, you've outdone yourself on this one Ian, the finished model is superb.  So much detail crammed into it.

And the conversion has been masterfully completed. I take my hat off to you  :thumbsup:

Thanks Ray!

9 hours ago, David H said:

I always enjoy your work!

Cheers David! Keep an eye on RFI there's another coming soon!

4 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

London-Frankfurt-Bahrain-Karachi-Calcutta-Singapore-Sydney-Melbourne with a final connecting leg to Adelaide on a TAA DC-9

Wow that's quite a marathon! So much more exciting with all those take offs and landings. I don't know how people stand it nowadays with all that time in the air flying non stop how boring just to save a few hours travel! Glad I've brought back some good memories!

I've only flown on a Qantas 747 once from San Francisco to Brisbane with a stop in Honolulu and Cairns.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Ian that is an absolute work of art! a Model of the highest quality and a real beauty.

This build of yours really inspired me to save my 747 from the shelf of doom and get cracking again. 

Excellent work!

This is just an awesome 747.

Certainly a great tribute to the queen of the skies.

I was planning a long time already for a Qantas 747 in that livery,although I fancy with one of those Authentic Airliners 747SP...but still so many 747s already in my stash awaiting their turn

• 7 months later...

I'll double the 'WOW' that Mark gave you above as I too totally missed this last summer

What a smashing well made model and a lovely reminder of the glorious days of classic liveries worn on classic airframes

I don't have the skills to re-create that amazing metallic look you have produced, - bloomin marvellous to you.

And, looking forward to seeing your future 200 series conversions too (or have I accidently overlooked that too?)

• 3 weeks later...

have to comment again because its so good. the closer you get to the model the better it gets. what did you use for the aluminium lower portion of the fuselage? I want to know because its reflecting the runway??

phil

3 hours ago, phil1 said:

what did you use for the aluminium lower portion of the fuselage? I want to know because its reflecting the runway??

Hi Phil,

Thanks glad you like it!

For the NMF belly I used this

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-03

It's time consuming to apply panel by panel and as I discovered on my recent Air India 747-300 it needs to be applied on a very glossy surface to really shine.

Thanks to everyone else who posted since I last replied, I really appreciate your responses!

Cheers,

Ian