RCAF CF-188 Canada 150

I'm more than a little late to the party but I am very pleased to add this commemorative scheme to my collection of Canadian demonstration hornets.

The decal sheet was released by Fishbone Inc (https://www.facebook.com/Fishbone.Inc/). Unfortunately, as per the latest information from him, the Canada 150 decals are no longer available. (But he does have the RCAF CF-18 DemoTeam "NORAD 60th Anniversary" decals currently on offer).   

The Canada 150 sheet is not 100% accurate but to me it is close enough to be more than acceptable. The only real shortcoming in terms of accuracy is that the maple leafs on the outside of the tails do not recline as on the actual hornet. The decals are well printed and are strong enough to withstand the transfer from the backing paper onto the model. Where I had difficulty with these decals was convincing them to conform to the  contours of the model - particularly the large maple leaf on top. Decal softeners (Micro-sol, Tamiya markfit strong, Mr Hobby Mr mark softer and Walthers Solvaset) had little to no effect.  I was finally able to get that decal to do what I wanted by applying GENTLE pressure repeatedly to the decal with a small folded cloth that had been dipped in boiling water. It is recommended that you hold this folded cloth with a set of locking tweezers and shake off any excess water before applying the (very) hot cloth to the recalcitrant decal(s). Using this technique enabled me to get all of the decals to lay down properly and it seemed to assist the decal softeners to do their job too.

The base model is the Academy 1/72 kit.

CF188_Canada_150_00.jpg

CF188_Canada_150_01.jpg

CF188_Canada_150_02.jpg

CF188_Canada_150_03.jpg

CF188_Canada_150_04.jpg

CF188_Canada_150_05.jpg

CF188_Canada_150_06.jpg

CF188_Canada_150_07.jpg

• Like 20

Nice, for a minute I thought the RCAF was suddenly the oldest air force on the planet and had secretly been flying before the wright brothers!

Interesting scheme, the paint job and decal work must have taken a little while to do.

Rich