Hand painting vs Airbrushing

Chris Taglialavore

Hi all,

new to modelling and looking to get started on my first kit (Tamiya ‘66 Beetle) but deciding whether to start before I purchase an airbrush... was wondering what sort of finishes you guys have achieved without using an airbrush and any tips you might have to help get the best finish? 

many thanks 👍

ps. Pics of examples would be great! 

Edited by Chris Taglialavore

Morning all, i've been using HYCOTE DOUBLE ACRYLIC with good results, the RANGE have a good selection of original car colours,spray using light coats,the price is quite cheap as well use a primer first,try test spraying first,also look on HYCOTE's website,

good luck

Willie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Taglialavore said:

Ok thanks guys, I’ll forget the humbrol enamel and give the Hycote spray a go then. Got Tamiya primer & humbrol gloss cote so will have a test run on a cheap model and see how it goes. 

If you use the Hycote sprays and they are gloss from the can, you don't need to gloss coat them. Just apply, allow to dry, then simply polish them up with a small amount of polishing compound and you'll achieve an excellent finish. 

2 hours ago, Chris Taglialavore said:

Ok thanks guys, I’ll forget the humbrol enamel and give the Hycote spray a go then. Got Tamiya primer & humbrol gloss cote so will have a test run on a cheap model and see how it goes. 

That's a sensible plan - if you find you hate it, you haven't blown a lot of money on kit you won't use :)  Make sure it's not too humid when you spray, and if you're worried about pressure drop off, putting the can in a bowl of warm water works wonders, I'm told.  When you're ready to go for an airbrush, we'll still be here to talk to, for as many opinions as there are answers :yahoo:

Hope it's not too late, but another vote for spray cans if you have somewhere to use them. Hycote and Halfrods paints are made by the same people, so don't be afraid to pay a visit to Halfords if that's easier for you than tracking down Hycote, or you can't find the colour you want. What I don't know though is whether or not the formulation of the two is the same. I've also used Humbrol acrylic spray with good results, so if you've bought one of their spray cans don't be afraid to use that.

Just remember to spray the primer first - I go with Halfords again, white for light colours, grey for the dark or as directed on the can. As has been said above, you can just stick with the colour coat, but I prefer to add a gloss coat as it has the added benefit of sealing in the decals. Just remember with all coats, it's worth doing a couple of mist coats (very light coat which doesn't give full coverage) before you add the thicker layers. And if you really want to build up that shine, Micromesh and/or buffers (I use the Ultimate thinny ones) will make a big difference, and I also use Tamiya fine compound and hard car wax to give that final shine. Of course, to do this on your first model does imply a bottomless wallet - it wasn't until my third car that I got everything sorted.

And, since you wanted pics of results, here goes. Although I'm actually going to be lazy and just link to my Ready For Inspection threads.

Porsche 959 - this was my third car on returning to the hobby, and the paint is Halfords grey primer, then Halfords Volvo Dark Grey, and finally Revell Clear Gloss, all out of the rattle can:

Plymouth Cuda - my fourth, and most recent car, shows that Humbrol spray should also give you a decent finish. This one has a Halfords white promer base, then Humbrol Lime Green acrylic spray, with a Revell Clear Gloss final coat, again all out of cans.

The best advice I can give with paint though is to take your time and don't try to get everything done at once - 4 thin coats will give a better finish than one big thick one.

But most important of all, have fun and enjoy yourself. :)

• Like 1

Thank you so much Spiny, and if mine end up looking anything like yours I’ll be a very happy man! I had a look at your 959 thread already and it’s definitely given me inspiration for mine... and I’m LOVING the Hemi, that’s definitely a kit that’s going on the list!

Spray cans it is! I have a Halfords just around the corner from me so will take a look some time this week... also just purchased the Tamiya spray work painting stand to make things a little easier 😁

morning all, here's the reply i recieved from hycote

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for your recent enquiry, Hycote double acrylic paints are based on air drying acrylic resin with solvent carriers (acetone and xylene) to optimise the spray pattern in the aerosol at around 80 Psi. If you decant the paint and all the propellant has evaporated the viscosity should be quite low, so standard paint pressure in a airbrush should give good results. Obviously the pressure will be a lot less than the pressure in the aerosol, but I do not foresee any other problems.

I have included a data sheet for your evaluation

Regards

Paul Clitheroe

Product Development

Tel +44 161 627 9247

Fax +44 161 627 0971

i have used in an airbrush using light coats with good results,chris you can buy a starter set from revell that uses a propellent can and give airbrushing a try it doesen' take long to master and its good fun,

Willie