1/76 Bofors 40mm Gun and Tractor

Hello fellow Airfix aficionado's :)

Please excuse my late arrival. For the GB I thought it might be fun to do something which for me would be a bit of a deviation from the norm, ie aircraft. Just get the parts stuck together in a reasonably accurate manner, and finish 'out of the box' (pretty much).

First up, a military vehicle, and something I don't know much about, but it has a certain rugged charm (the tractor,not the gun!)

20180622_180022

20180622_175943

According to my book 'Airfix, Celebrating 50 Years of the Greatest Plastic Kits in the World' this was first released in 1977, although this is obviously a bang up to date recent release with lovely new decals. I'm rather keen on the Desert Rat scheme, so happy days and off we go.....

• Like 6

Ok, so I tidied up the old modeling desk and got stuck into this one. First thing I realised was that this really was out of my comfort zone. I had to study the instructions to work out which bits went where, and what way up. After some fettling and fiddling with the surprisingly little (I'm sure they used to be bigger than this) parts, I ended up with this.

20180622_191315

The 'tractor' is actually a Morris CD/SW 30cwt 6x4. according to the instruction sheet. 

Cheers.  

• Like 7

Thanks for the positive comments guy's. In-between doing a few odd jobs I found some time for a bit more Bofor Tractor'ing.

I tried to follow the instructions sequentially, as I didn't want to mess this up, but I found I had to adapt a bit as sticking one bit on needed another bit next to it, to ensure it all lined up nice and square. This was particularly so with the engine bit at the front (:think: cowling?) and the rear bit (load bed?)

So I soon ended up with this.

20180623_175524

The rear load bed is a myriad of lockers, no doubt containing the shells and various essentials for the Bofors gun and crew. 

Anyway, quite pleased so far and enjoying the change.

Cheers. 

• Like 7

On 6/24/2018 at 4:35 AM, Smudge said:

The rear load bed is a myriad of lockers, no doubt containing the shells and various essentials for the Bofors gun and crew. 

Not part of this GB but following along as I LOVE classic Airfix kits.

The lockers are where the gun crew kept there tea set and pastries, at least according to this old infantryman's eye.:yikes:

I am, of course, not being serious. All due respect to the crews of AA guns who had to be out in the open during air-raids while everyone else tried to find a safe place to be.

DennisTheBear

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DennisTheBear said:

Not part of this GB but following along as I LOVE classic Airfix kits.

DennisTheBear

Still plenty of time to join us Mr. Bear, although your workbench / S.O.D list is looking a little large. 

But that's normal so go and visit the stash as I'm sure you've got something there that qualifies. 

Graeme from Townsville just joined us the other day and there's always room for yet another Queenslander!! 

Cheers.. Dave (quite a few hours drive south of you). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/06/2018 at 16:14, Threadbear said:

..... Well moulded too. 

Yes, for it's age I think it stands up quite well.

On 24/06/2018 at 23:31, DennisTheBear said:

The lockers are where the gun crew kept there tea set and pastries........

Of course Dennis, that's what I meant by 'essentials' ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We'll, I have been beavering away at this one, so I will just share a couple of pictures by way of an update. The kit options for the Gun are either stowed for towing, or wheels off and set up for firing. I wanted to portray the set up pictured on the box, a kind of halfway between the two. Wheels still on, but legs down and set up for firing. To achieve this, I simply removed the short legs and used some plastic rod to replace them with some slightly longer ones.  This way I can use the wheels, which are quite nicely done.

20180717_220511

The wheels are just tacked on, to get the legs the right length. As usual with these old kits, although they are nicely detailed, there is still a lot of cleaning up to do on every part, especially the seam lines that go around everything. 

20180717_220840

The Morris truck is coming along. Care is needed to get everything 'square' and I did have to remove and re-align some of the lockers, but I'm pleased with how it's looking.

Cheers, Guy's.

• Like 9

Looking good after all that cleaning up. Looks like there will be a fair bit of detail painting required - a couple of squirts of optrex in the eyes will be required!

• Haha 3

I remember going to the Criterion toy shop in Dudley every week over the summer of 1977 waiting for this to be released. It was announced in the press ages before being finally available. It looks like you're doing a better job than i managed though as i thought it was very fiddly with too many small parts.

Colin 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, guys. Not a great deal if progress on this one. I have dug out an old tin of paint that I acquired a few years ago from a shop clear out. It was old then, but I took a chance on it and so was pleasantly surprised to find it in perfect condition when I opened the lid.

Just the job for this little project.

20180718_185145

And here's a peek at how the colour looks on the Morris. Just a bit of painting in the cab and on the chassis before the wheels etc. go on.

20180728_163908

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/07/2018 at 17:43, Smudge said:

And here's a peek at how the colour looks on the Morris. Just a bit of painting in the cab and on the chassis before the wheels etc. go on.

Came across this again and wondered if the wheels went on OK?. Lots of wheels in this GB at the moment! Cheers. Mike 

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

Hi Ventora. Sorry I haven't posted for a few weeks. I was on holiday, and then busy with various things. Anyway, I did sit down this afternoon and do a bit. I tried to make some circular masks to help with the painting of the wheels/tyres, as there is not much of a distinction between wheel and tyre. My efforts at making circular masks were not too successful, and I ended up using a combination of mask and 'freehand' brush painting.

Pictures to follow :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pictures of recent progress.

The cab was a bit bare, so I made a gear change column and punched out a couple of gauges.

20180816_085012

I tried to make masks to help paint the wheels, but it wasn't a great success. I ended up just doing it freehand. Not too bad, hopefully some weathering will help.

20180903_175146

All the wheels had an awful mould seam around them, which took a bit of cleaning up with some wet n dry and small files. I had to reinstate the tread.

20180903_175040

Starting to look like a truck.

20180903_175752

Cheers.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress. I have actually had a bit of a 'mare trying to get all the wheels of the Morris to touch the ground. I think I built up the axles a bit wonky, and as a result one of the rear wheel refused to touch the ground (perhaps I should mount it on a rough terrain). So a bit of adjusting was required. Anyhow, it's all coming along.

20180912_160501

20180912_160253

I have been experimenting with some weathering on the Bofors. Using weathering powders and some 'pin' washes. I missed the seam around one of the wheels <_<

20180912_160050

20180912_160102

20180912_160116

More work on the weathering I think. I always think I've gone a bit OTT. The gun is pretty much done, but a few little things still to do on the Morris, like some headlights and windscreen glazing.

Cheers Guys.

• Like 9

On 9/13/2018 at 10:19 PM, Smudge said:

Thanks Lawzer. My main interest is aircraft, but I am enjoying making these vehicle kits, already bought a few more, and have a few in the stash which I will have to dig out.

Nice one Smudge, so when are you going to glue the wings on this ?

• Haha 4

Did a bit of weathering and general fiddling about on this one this evening. 

On 15/09/2018 at 01:37, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one Smudge, so when are you going to glue the wings on this ?

I am resisting the urge! :D

• Like 3