Ta 154, help painting...

Hi guys,

I am working on a Revell Ta 154 and was enjoying the build until I realised the paint scheme might be somewhat challenging if I dont take the right approach (this was supposed to be a quick little build whilst im off work). 

Can anyone suggest the best method of painting the RLM 75 overtop of the RLM 76.

I have thought about blu tack  and also liquid mask but have had mixed results with the mask before. Blu tack seems to be the best option at the moment but want to check if there are any other methods before I go ahead with it.

Thanks,

Ryan 

hph32040reviewjv_19.jpg

Do a test drive free handing with an airbrush using the inside of a wing half of your next build. I've only been airbrushing for less than 2 years and just did my first free hand mottles on a 1:48 Macchi C.205. I use an Aztek a470 AB with the Tan nozzle, air pressure about 15psi, paint thinned about 50/50 but I've seen others do 30/70 and spray about ½" - ¾" from the model. As they always say. practice practice practice. Any left over paint I have in the AB is used for practicing mottles and fine panel lines. Looking forward to see your finished model

http://imodeler.com/2018/03/italeri-148-macchi-c-205/

Edited by fubar57
spelling which I never notice until 2 seconds after I hit Submit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Definitely airbrush it, at very low pressure, as thin as the paint will go and really close in. Practise on scrap first!

You might also try cutting random patterns in card, and then spraying "through" them, holding the card off the fuselage. How far  the card is held off the fuselage determines the hardness of the pattern, of course. Yes, practice!

Gene K

• Like 1

Paint them with a brush, smaller than the required size, then go around the edges with the airbrush set to fine. Or use the drybrush method: cut down a brush to just stubble, dip it into the paint, dab it onto a rag until nearly dry, then dabble it around to slowly build up the mottle.  However the airbrush method would be better, and this particular scheme looks to have harder edges than you can get by drybrushing.