Question regarding Jagdpanzer iv sideskirts

JMMendes

Hello fellow modelers,

I recently acquired the old Revell 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV (Sd.Kfz.162) Ausf. F (früh) - Nr. 03024 at a very good price (15€), and I'm thinking about starting to build it right away.

Opening the box I saw that it doesn't have the sideskirts that many Jagdpanzers had. It even include the supports for the plates, but no plates to be seen in the kit. They're not missing in the box, it's a feature of the kit...

Were this type of Jagdpanzers not suitable for sideskirts (strange because of the supports), or was it a rare event? 

Can somebody tell me the size of the skirts in scale (or the real ones) to try to replicate some plates in plasticard?

It also have a muzzle break as optional...to all versions of the kit. Is it simple a question of option/taste or was it assigned to a specific type.

The kit is this one ; 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/154700-revell-03024-jagdpanzer-iv-sd-kfz-162

Thank you for any help you can give.

Regards,

João Mendes

Looking at the timeline on Scalemates, this looks like a rebox of the DML kit, of which I also built under the Cyber-hobby label (Orange Box).

Usually vehicles left the factory with sideskirts,  but travel over rough ground and combat would cause the skirts to be damaged or lost - they are not welded in place, but just hung on the rail supports.   When I did mine, I used a PE set, and only a few:

17270656905_e788241bd5_z.jpg17082891988_90249b7643_z.jpg 

It's late for me right now, but if you are interested, I can post the skirt dimensions tomorrow, based on the PE set.

The early versions of the Jagdpanzer did come equipped with the muzzle brake, but because the gun was so low to the ground, dust and debris would be thrown up when the gun was fired.  This would give away the vehicle's position, and no doubt also obscured the crew's vision.  So they were removed, and eventually on later versions would not even be fitted at the factory.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Thank you very much for the quick and assertive response

You clarified my doubts regarding this model....

I think i will try to create the some plates, similar as you did, on your excellent model...as i will be using your work as reference (i really like your model), but i m going to pass the zimmerit for now.

5 hours ago, JackG said:

It's late for me right now, but if you are interested, I can post the skirt dimensions tomorrow, based on the PE set. 

I would be grateful if you could post the dimensions, when you have the time....Thank you very much in advance!

Thanks again!

Regards,

João Mendes

Here you go...

28085464347_cb3356645f_b.jpg

Note my drawn diagram is upside down, the front skirt should have the angled section pointing towards the ground, as such:

pziv-70_1.jpg

JgdpzIVlate.jpg

You mention zimmerit - yes this early type should have it to be historically accurate.  I suppose it is possible a later machine (produced after zimmerit was discontinued) could have had it's barrel replaced in the field with the shorter one due to shortages, but then you are looking at hull changes....

Construction  of my particular build can be found here:

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Thank you very much Jack. The modelling world camaraderie never ceases do amaze me!

The diagrams are perfect to understand and build some plates. And i can have a solid base to support my build in your topic! You are right the Revell Jagdpanzer is a rebox of the old DML kit, so i m sure it will have a lot in common with yours.

Thank you!!

Regards,

João Mendes

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 8:53 PM, AgentG said:

Also, the real plates were only about 5mm thick. So use some light thin plastic card!

G

I'd strongly suggest avoiding thin plastic card. I've seen to many models where the card has distorted. Get some thin aluminium sheet from a rail road shop or flatten out a beer can and use that instead. Much easier....

If you want zimmerit then look at the ATAK range. HERE

I use photomount adhesive spray to fix it or glue stick for paper. Glue sticks are simple spread it thin and even put in place, peel it straight off and wait a few seconds then put it back on. The removal/replace ensures it goes on flat. Any that oozes out can be easily removed. Once painted it'll be fine, a guy in our club has been doing it for years and his is all still good.

Thank you all very much for the good advices.

The thin aluminium from a beer can is a good idea to try, and i have a sheet of copper than i want to try also...i ll see what goes better with the scale.

I think i m going to pass the zimmerit...i know it probably is more historical accurate, but i think i m going to look the other way...

Thank you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

After asking for help, and received a lot of quick and helpful responses...i thought that putting here the "result" would be the minimum i could do...

I used the plans that JackG left here and used a bit of copper plate that i have for some small scratch work on the models. Then used some evergreene plastic for the rivets, and some staples (cut and bend it).

Its far from perfect but i thing it works, and i think the lack of "perfection" gives it a natural look...(or i just want to think).

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg

IMG_5786.jpg

I think i m still going to "beat" the plates a bit, make some holes...some heavy scratches...maybe cut some bits off...

Thanks again to all !

When the Jag its finish i ll put the photos here...

• Like 2

Excellently constructed, those shields look to be just as good as any other product on the market.

For the finished photos, I'd suggest opening a new post in the ready for inspection forum section dealing with AFV vehicles.  You can certainly link that in this current thread.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 8:40 PM, JackG said:

Excellently constructed, those shields look to be just as good as any other product on the market.

For the finished photos, I'd suggest opening a new post in the ready for inspection forum section dealing with AFV vehicles.  You can certainly link that in this current thread.

regards,

Jack

Hi all,

Here are the photos of the model finished.

• Like 1