Spitfire double bill.

I thought it time to tackle another Spitfire build (everyone loves building a spit.......right??), and couldn't decide which kit to go for so I have decided to build 2 at the same time (along with my Dornier build, already underway). So here goes......2 very different kits, one appearing simple, one sublime, but both recreating a Spitfire (although different variants). My first kit is Airfix's trusty Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a, I plan to finish this build with the traditional half black underside and as an out of the box build.

IMG_20180621_200417

The kit comprises 2 grey sprues, all nicely detailed with little flash. There aid also a small clear sprue, and decal sheet. The second kit is Eduard's 1:72 Royal class Spitfire Mk.IX. This is part of a kit that gives you 4 Spits to build.

IMG_20180621_200122

The box contains beautiful colour instructions, 14 colour schemes and decals to choose from, pe parts, resin parts, beer mat and beautiful beer glass. I am planning to build Mk.IXe, as flown by Maj. Vasiliy A. Matsyevich, CO of 26th GIAP 1945 (partly because my son loves the paint scheme). There are 5 grey sprues, with no flash and lots of fine detail, and a clear sprue.

IMG_20180621_200219

There is also a small sheet of pe parts, resin wheels, a small decal sheet with common parts, and a larger one with specific decals. It looks a stonking kit, and I can't wait to get started.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 12

Nice with a double Spitfire build, with 2 different Spitfires and manufacturer,

Håkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My progress has been slightly delayed, partly by being lucky enough to witness the BBMF at Weston yesterday.

2018-06-24_04-17-04

2018-06-24_04-16-50

That said, both kits have been washed and primed, and started in a fashion. The Airfix spit has had its pilot, cockpit and interior painted and built.

IMG_20180624_155036

IMG_20180624_155045

Today I have secured the cockpit into the fuselage (this was very tight) and glued both halves together with Tamyia thin cement, I think a little filling may be required here.

IMG_20180624_161609

Later I plan to start work on the Eduard Spit.

• Like 11

Been working on the Eduard Spit while the Airfix build dries. I carefully painted the cockpit, seat, pedals and interior.

IMG_20180624_223253

I have decided to use the pe pieces for the instrument panels, this looks much more detailed and realistic. Using superglue, applied with a cocktail stick I attached the pe harness to the seat, and pieced it all together.

IMG_20180624_223927

The details are amazing, but the instructions are rather complicated......lots of double checking involved. That said I'm really enjoying both builds.

• Like 10

Almost missed this as someone said can't have enough spitfires!

Nice start to both airframes looking forward to watching these come together

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/6/2018 at 22:06, Shelliecool said:

I am planning to build Mk.IXe, as flown by Maj. Vasiliy A. Matsyevich, CO of 26th GIAP 1945 (partly because my son loves the paint scheme). There are 5 grey sprues, with no flash and lots of fine detail, and a clear sprue.

IMG_20180621_200219

Hi Shellie

the sprues above are for the early C wing kit,  for the IXe you need the narrow blisters in the outer position wing sprue,  

you might also find this of interest

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1683.0

russian-spitfire-1.jpg

cheers

T

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Shellie

the sprues above are for the early C wing kit,  for the IXe you need the narrow blisters in the outer position wing sprue,  

you might also find this of interest

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1683.0

russian-spitfire-1.jpg

cheers

T

Thank you, I realised when studying the instructions I had the wrong wing out of the box.... luckily I hadn't started it at that point.

Many thanks,

Michelle

I'm a bit slow on updating my build threads, but both Spits are moving on nicely.

IMG_20180627_072558

I am finding the Airfix kit quick (there's not much to it if I'm honest), but not the best to fit together! First the fuselage halves, then the wings were hard to fit smoothly. In contrast the Eduard kit is very complex, and after my mistake with the wings I'm double checking everything. 

IMG_20180627_072608

have fitted the cockpit in, attached the interior walls of the cockpit and joined the halves together. Then I have constructed the inside of the undercarriage, inside the wing, again making sure I had the right pieces.

IMG_20180627_072616

IMG_20180627_072553

The pair look pretty good together, and show the complexity and simplicity of each kit.

• Like 7

You're making an interesting comparison between the two kits. Rather different routes to the same end but both make for nice models in the end. Cool choice of scheme for the IX by the way :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I have spent time building the wings on the Eduard build, this I hoped would be simple.....no such luck! Fitting the fuselage between the gap for both wings was impossible, it was never going to fit🙄. So lots of sanding later I managed to squeeze (and I mean squeeze) the two parts together.

IMG_20180628_223220

Because of the poor fit, lots of filler is needed. So this morning I have used my perfect plastic putty to fill the gaps on both aircraft.

IMG_20180630_093945

• Like 6

Missed the start Shellie (sorry) but here now :popcorn: 

was going to say that the Eduard kit is a beauty, but I've not built from the Royal Class kit... there's lots of advice on BM about both kits; don't get paint on the Airfix joins and sand off all the extra plastic on the join; fit the upper wings on the Eduard first etc etc...

IMHO both kits are so 'tight' you need to do exactly what you've done and just show them who's boss!

Great stuff, love the pilot!

• Thanks 1

On 01/07/2018 at 08:55, CedB said:

Missed the start Shellie (sorry) but here now :popcorn: 

was going to say that the Eduard kit is a beauty, but I've not built from the Royal Class kit... there's lots of advice on BM about both kits; don't get paint on the Airfix joins and sand off all the extra plastic on the join; fit the upper wings on the Eduard first etc etc...

IMHO both kits are so 'tight' you need to do exactly what you've done and just show them who's boss!

Great stuff, love the pilot!

Great to have you onboard Ced!

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 1

Quick build update from yesterday. Having masked up the Airfix spit I began the horrible job of airbrushing Humbrol 90 to the underside. As I've said many times I HATE airbrushing Humbrol, so I mixed the paint and sprayed away........it went ok surprisingly! Although once it had dried a little it was grainy (I will sand it lightly before the second coat).

IMG_20180702_174645

As for the Eduard, I have dipped and fitted parts of the glass on the cockpit, attached the bomb racks and other small bits and bobs and sanded her a little.

IMG_20180702_174706

IMG_20180702_174658

I plan to prime the build and identify where else needs the sanding treatment.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Beard said:

Two neat-looking Spitfires there.

Are you using acrylic or enamel Humbrol? I find that enamel Humbrol 90 goes on really smoothly with a brush.

Thank you, I'm using acrylics some are worse than others but 90 is really grainy. 

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 2

Try Revell acylics, spray much better and their version of RAF sky is spot on colour wise.I also have the eduard spitfire on the go so am watching yours progress

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Thank you, I'm using acrylics some are worse than others but 90 is really grainy.  

Ah. A light sanding should help but it might be worth considering a change of supplier.

• Thanks 1

Seconded! I have a rack full of Humbrol acrylics and they vary, a lot, from the screw tops to the pop-tops and the little starter set pots...

I think Humbrol had problems after off-shoring their manufacture and quality also varies from colour to colour so it's a bit hit and miss IMHO :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1