1:72 Sopwith Camel 2F.1

Ready for inspection is my 1:72 Sopwith Camel 2F.1 by Airfix. It was an old kit that I picked up cheaply from my local model shop. This is the first bi-plane I have attempted, and although there was a tremendous amount of flash, bits missing and the decals past their best I thoroughly enjoyed the build. I mixed up my own cream tone for the underside of the wings (as I am none to keen on airbrushing Humbrol acrylics), and scratch built the guns on the nose, and with those problems overcome I became rigging. I purchased some elastic designed for rigging 1:72 models, and set to it. For my first attempt, I'm pleased with the results and looking forward to working on my next bi-plane kit. Thanks.

IMG_20180621_192655

IMG_20180621_192620IMG_20180621_192707IMG_20180621_192720IMG_20180621_192730IMG_20180621_192759IMG_20180621_192642

• Like 28

Very nice! 

I'd like to do some biplanes but always been put off by the need for rigging - it just looks so complicated! Elastic sounds interesting though, was it easy to fix in place?

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Very nice build indeed Michelle. You would hardly believe that is the old Airfix camel.

On with the Do17z now ...........?

Terry

Thank you! Yep I'm progressing well with the Dornier (enjoying it too), and about to start some Spitfire's.

Thanks again,

Michelle.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Very nice! 

I'd like to do some biplanes but always been put off by the need for rigging - it just looks so complicated! Elastic sounds interesting though, was it easy to fix in place?

Thank you! It wasn't too tricky, I would recommend a good pair of tweezers and lots of time, if you let go of one end too quickly it pings off and sticks where you don't want it too! Good fun tho.

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Thanks 1

Well done Shellie, no kit build is wasted time, you always learn something to carry on to another build. Well done with the rigging, a lot of people are put off by that and I think you've nailed it!

• Thanks 1

Hi Michelle,

for a first rigging job, it is really good!

You are going to have to face the sad truth: you are extremely gifted as a modeler. Your builds are steadily improving and this Camel is proof enough, if any was needed.

Well done and congrats!

JR

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Amazing what you've achieved with this ancient tooling.  Great work on the rigging.  Having built dozens of biplanes over the years it's only been recently that I have plucked up the courage to do the rigging so I admire your fortitude on rigging your first biplane (which looks excellent, I might add).

• Thanks 1

Well done on rigging that tiny thing, I had a job on my 1/32nd WnW build, could of done with another pair of arms/hands and without the EZ-line sticking everywhere except where I wanted it!

:goodjob:

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Thanks 1

Your considerable skills deserve a better canvas! I strongly recommend a Roden/Toko/Eastern Express/Eduard kit for your next 1/72 biplane subject, the results will be much more satisfying...!

Cheers,

Herb

• Like 1