42220175794_8d80cc6ec6_b.jpg

This was done as a quick build, mainly as I was curious to see what Trumpeter's braille scale armour kits were like. The answer is pretty good for the most part, as long as you don't pay any attention to the photo on the box top, which is actually the 1/35 version. The detail is relatively basic, but it's sharply moulded and looks in scale. I was expecting the vinyl tyres to be a weak point, but they were actually very good with nicely moulded tread detail. The kit was finished OOB, apart from modifying the front wheel hubs to add some turn to the wheels.

42220193064_ba0252b6b1_b.jpg

42939186501_e26847f53f_b.jpg

42939191071_28f401093c_b.jpg

42220190214_71a42b9737_b.jpg

42939190811_198f3d1c5a_b.jpg

42220186994_d7f2a2002e_b.jpg

42220181664_7c57ddf62a_b.jpg

29066040858_3167d114b8_b.jpg

And finally, a couple with it's bigger, older brother, the BTR-60 PB in 1/35, also from Trumpeter

29066038798_fafee4a774_b.jpg

42220178814_76f786f941_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy:cat:

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I can't think of anything else to say than....FANTASTIC!! 

I always think your 35th scale builds are tremendous Andy, but to see the same standard of finishing and weathering in what I have to admit is my favourite armour scale is just brilliant!

That is a real little jewel of a model!

Keith

• Like 1

That's a smashing finish from a pretty basic kit, I envy the confidence with which you vary your shading, it's very dramatic and IMHO very nicely done indeed!  :coolio:

Nice spot on the 1/35 kit box-tops, they've done it with a few of their Braille subjects.....I'm still highly sceptical of the vinyl tyres, I just don't trust them not to dissolve my model.  :shutup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I always think your 35th scale builds are tremendous Andy, but to see the same standard of finishing and weathering in what I have to admit is my favourite armour scale is just brilliant!

Cheers Keith. I'm quite getting into braille, so there'll probably be a few more 72nd builds coming in the future.

40 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice spot on the 1/35 kit box-tops, they've done it with a few of their Braille subjects.....I'm still highly sceptical of the vinyl tyres, I just don't trust them not to dissolve my model.  :shutup:

Thanks Sarge. I know they do it with the boxes for the Stalinez and Voroshilovets tractors, and probably quite a few more.

I was a little worried about the tyre plastic reacting with the styrene as well. I matt coated the tyres before the wheels were inserted to act as a barrier, but I'll just wait to see what happens in the long run.

• Like 2

I've been picking up Armory replacements whenever I can find them.....I just bought the Revell 1/72 Topol and the same Modelcollect 1/72 MAZ tank transporter you have (& I have another one on order), so I'm going to need an awful lot of resin wheels fairly soon (thank god the transporter trailer has plastic tyres)!  :whistle:

• Like 2

At first sight I told myself : typical Andy's modelling job ... very nice and realistic as usual, but the kit's lacking details 🤔

... then I realized that we are talking about 1/72 scale and then I thought ... wouahouuu !!! 

The comparison with the 1/35 scale BTR is stunning 😎

E

• Like 1

Superb build and finish, as always! Thanks for sharing!

Is there more info on the big brother? A build log maybe? It's absolutely fantastic!

Edit:

Found it! :) 

Edited by armored76
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,

14 hours ago, CzarPeppers said:

I'm curious what you do to get that wet dirt look on the bottom edges of the APC, I prefer it to the method I currently use.

The dry mud was 'Dry Steppe' from the AMMO mud splashes range. The wet areas were done with Vallejo 'Oiled Earth' acrylic wash. I applied it over the lower edges of the hull and let it seep through the existing mud effects.

• Like 2

Jeez, your 1/72 efforts look better than my 1/16 stuff.  Don't know how you do it as I'm finding it harder

to even work on 1/35 but whatever it is don't loose that recipe.

For a minute there I thought the big brother was 1/16 and wondered who made it but then I realized what a little masterpiece

that was beside it. How you can do that shading and weathering with such a great result is way way beyond me.

There is lots and lots of 1/72 stuff of every description showing up on the site these days and it's making me jealous. First that

folks can see to work on them and turn out such marvelous work and second that I could put 10 on one shelf in my display case

and that's a big plus. Oh, and to mention, they aren't $100 per kit like the 1/35 stuff is getting to be. Wish my trifocals and

opti visor would let me work on small scale but that ship sailed long ago.

Take care Andy,

Lloyd

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

There is lots and lots of 1/72 stuff of every description showing up on the site these days and it's making me jealous. First that

folks can see to work on them and turn out such marvelous work and second that I could put 10 on one shelf in my display case

and that's a big plus. Oh, and to mention, they aren't $100 per kit like the 1/35 stuff is getting to be. Wish my trifocals and

opti visor would let me work on small scale but that ship sailed long ago.

Thanks Lloyd,

The smaller size and lower cost are definitely the two main reasons I'm doing more 72nd scale stuff, together with the general increase in quality of the kits. I agree that the cost of some 1/35 kits is getting disproportionately high these days.

In terms of the build, I'd certainly be unable to tackle these kits without my optivisors permanently glued to my head, and even then I have to combine them with a pair of reading glasses. Having said that, I think a lot of people are put off trying the smaller scale stuff more by the perception of the scale than by the reality. When I build something small I tend to forget about the actual scale, and think of it more as a small section of a larger build. What I mean is the details you find on a 72nd kit are often no different to what you'd find on say a turret of a 35th kit. If you think of it that way I think it seems less intimidating.

The highlighting and shading on the BTR is actually pretty basic, as you can see in the photo below. The whole thing had a base coat, then the lower hull had a shade coat sprayed quite loosely from below. The highlighting on the upper surfaces is also quite loose. On areas where I wanted to get a cleaner edge, such as the roof hatches and engine covers, I masked around the details with Silly Putty then sprayed the highlights. On other areas, like the vision ports down the sides, I sprayed the highlights freehand. Just a quick blast from the airbrush. There's plenty of over-spray, but that gets sharpened up later when the washes are applied.

41961558504_4fe9e4db37_b.jpg

After that, I picked out the smaller details by hand with a fine brush, which also helps to sharpen up the soft areas of over-spray from the previous step. Even here you don't need to be all that clean with the brushwork as the washes will tidy up any rougher areas. I treat it more like an impressionist painting, suggesting details rather than trying to precisely paint them.

42631203892_f5ae63000a_b.jpg

So, overall, it's nowhere near as complex as it may seem. With the newer 72nd kits the detail is there and the washes will bring it out, so you can let the kit do the hard work for you.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

The smaller size and lower cost are definitely the two main reasons I'm doing more 72nd scale stuff, together with the general increase in quality of the kits.

You seen the Flyhawk M1A2SEP yet Andy?  :hmmm:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/Flyhawk/FGiovagnorio_Flyhawk_M1A2SEP.htm

• Like 1

On 08/07/2018 at 23:00, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You seen the Flyhawk M1A2SEP yet Andy?  :hmmm:

Yeah, it looks like a nice model, but I'm more interested in their FT. I'll definitely be picking one of those up at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2018 at 13:01, AndyRM101 said:

Thanks guys,

The dry mud was 'Dry Steppe' from the AMMO mud splashes range. The wet areas were done with Vallejo 'Oiled Earth' acrylic wash. I applied it over the lower edges of the hull and let it seep through the existing mud effects.

Cheers for that - have been wanting to achieve a similar finish on a current build so have ordered the vallejo wash to give it a try as already have the ammo paint in.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1