Coastal Forces Information

Thought it was time to create a thread on what Coastal Forces information is available on the web and in printed/book format.

As a starter I thought I'd post up this as I hadn't seen this website mentioned anywhere previously.

Whilst the football is on I've been having a trawl around the web and I came across this site - Spitfires of the Seas

The website hasn't much content, a lot promised so hopefully it will come but the Facebook page has a lot more - https://m.facebook.com/groups/562609010767534 and is well worth looking at if you have a Facebook account.

Enjoy!

P

Edited by PDH

Well, in print there is (was) - you've guessed it - "Allied Coastal Forces" Vol. 1 and 2 by John Lambert and Al Ross. Usually rather expensive (in the 50 quid upwards bracket, unposted), but worth every Penny. Having a Naval Institute Press edition of the Vosper volume already, I was VERY lucky to find both Conway volumes as a bunch lot on abe, and as a bonus the same seller had Raven/Robert's Brit Cruisers at an irresistible price. The whole lot at 93 € del'd to Germany.

IIRC there was also an Anatomy of the Ship on the Fairmile D by John Lambert, though as I don't have it, I can't say whether you'd need that on top of the Fairmile volume of ACF.

Edited by tempestfan
Adding the AotS title
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Sorry, I've been meaning to update this thread but other events have overtaken me - a new grandson, holidays and a burst pipe in the kitchen -  to name but a few!

These are the books I have in my library on Coastal Forces. Some are Reference and some are History. all are recommended and help to piece things together

Xq6Cx0.jpg

WTQAWq.jpg

ZI5LuN.jpg

7VaNRf.jpg

DBWrcR.jpg

2GFBAQ.jpg

phE3RS.jpg

lsFdGg.jpg

AX3K7I.jpg

lKWCpQ.jpg

kSPEC3.jpg

id2uov.jpg

KSO6e2.jpg

w8BjM0.jpg

3OcHtg.jpg

Da4Hgt.jpg

HJL2oF.jpg

OMeCKS.jpg

dR1DJI.jpg

nUrgWN.jpg

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...

I have just picked up this photo from eBay. 

QpyR5p.jpg

It is an original press photo from 1943 showing Vosper 72’ Motor Torpedo Boats of the 23rd Flotilla of the Royal Navy who were stationed at Kingswear at the time this photo was taken. Kingswear is located on the Dart River opposite Dartmouth in Devon. The Flotilla was manned entirely by Free French Navy personel. The Flotilla was made up of eight Vosper 72’ MTBs numbering from 90,91,92,94,96,98,227 & 239.

The photo has been heavily censored during wartime with the numbers that would have been painted on the stern of the boats obliterated and all the background has been whited out so Kingswear would have been to the left in the photo background and Dartmouth off to the right.

I have just received the actual original and it shows nice nice detail of the rear deck etc. Just a pity most of the rigging detail has been obliterated by the censor but all in all  a very useful purchase.

P

• Like 3

And as a follow up to "The 13th & 14th Fairmile Flotillas in Burma" there is "From Trombay to Changi...The story of the Arakan COastal Forces" which covers the activities of other Fairmile ML flotillas in that theatre.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

A post on another forum had information on the Coastal Forces Veterans Association Forum     http://cfv.org.uk

I had no idea this existed so I went and had a look and there is a great amount of information and photos posted on there. The Forum is quite active and well worth looking through if only for the private photos posted and some of the information provided. Also many official photos are posted. You may need to register for an account but it is well recommended if you have any interest in Coastal Forces operations, crews and equipment.

Enjoy!

P

Edited by PDH
Spelling
  • Like 1