AugustaWestland Wildcat info please

Mark

Hi all,

A simple question to begin with:

Is it possible at all to convert any existing 1/48 or 1/32 Lynx kit into the AW159 Wildcat?

Not without an awful lot of scratch building, they may look a bit similar but they are very different.

I seem to remember Lynx7 was starting to have a go with one, but I haven't seen anything from him for years.

Red

On 6/21/2018 at 9:43 AM, Mark said:

Hi all,

Is it possible at all to convert any existing 1/48 or 1/32 Lynx kit into the AW159 Wildcat?

Hi Mark

Here are two photos that should give you an idea what you'd be up against.

v8M9b1.jpg

v8M09W.jpg

John

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Mark said:

Hi all,

I think it would be a case of assembling the donor Lynx kit's main rotor blades and then inserting a new very slab sided fuselage underneath them.

One of a number of current Augusta/Westland/Leonardo types which are missing in model form unfortunately.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, junglierating said:

Surely Westland Helicopters Limited.....just as another division should be Selex Galileo ....all one company indeef🤣🤣

😂

a case of assembling the donor Lynx kit's main rotor blades and then inserting a new very slab sided fuselage underneath them.

That's far off how the Wildcat is actually built. There's a hangar at Middle Wallop where all the Lynx go to have any usable parts removed to be used in the Wildcat programme.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 4:31 PM, junglierating said:

Surely Westland Helicopters Limited.....just as another division  in the group should be xxxx ....all one company indeef🤣🤣

If it has Westland in it, it IS limited.

6 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

If it has Westland in it, it IS limited.

I thing you miss my point....ref all one company ....i still have to clarify my former company name else people auto default to Leonardo/ WHL...which I'm not ☺

On 6/29/2018 at 10:35 PM, Aeronut said:

That's far off how the Wildcat is actually built. There's a hangar at Middle Wallop where all the Lynx go to have any usable parts removed to be used in the Wildcat programme.

Which is where I work.

• Like 2

Mark,

I've been fortunate enough to see a couple of these machines 'up close and personal' in the last couple of weeks and you would have a job replicating it from the Airfix kit of the HMA.8. It may look similar but it is a very different machine and would be a challenge.

fullsizeoutput_c0b

fullsizeoutput_b61

If it attracts some export success in the future, I dare say a kit will emerge in due course.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Rotors, forward part of the engine housing, windscreen and main cabin doors and some u/c components might be all you could use

Main rotor blades and head are about all you could use. The engines, windscreen, cabin doors and undercarriage are all different. 

Red

Thanks guys, that is all brilliant help! So I've as much chance of converting the Lynx to a Wildcat as England has of winning a penalty shoot-out in the World Cup!!  Oh, hang on..... 😮

But seriously, thank you for the time with all the replies and photographs, it is really appreciated. I'll just wait for either Airfix or Revell to come out with a proper kit now!

• Haha 3