A Rather attractive Ventura

Hi all

Hot on the heels of the lovely little AZ Model Airspeed Oxford, I am now calling this one done.  This is the Academy 1/72 RAF Lockheed Ventura II modified to represent a GR-V of the RCAF, in a Temperate Sea Scheme known as a Saddleback Scheme.  The Aircraft has been depicted as it would have appeared as part of Operation Polar Bear in February to March 1945.  The scheme is a rather attractive scheme although the aircraft appeared to be very grubby in appearance and I have tried to represent this as best as I can. 

The Kit is fairly basic and I modified the Pilot's seat to include the rounded back and arm pads and seatbelts were made with Tamiya Masking Tape. The Nose glazing was removed and the nose rescribed a bit.  The kit was then built out of the box with the American Turret for this type used.  The only other additions being some structure in the U/C bays and the aerials which were invisible thread.  There is a marker range aerial on the port bomb bay door also.

The model is brush painted as usual using thinned Humbrol enamels.  The Yellow high visible panels really stand out well against the scheme.  The model is The decals were Aviology decals and went on very nicely.

Weathering is a mix of Oil paint washes and weathering powders.

I would like to thank those who offered encouragement during the build. 

I enjoyed this kit build immensely.  I am now building a Ford Trimotor and Bristol Super freighter  amongst others .

I hope you enjoy

536e6ee3-712e-492f-8c79-bf1f841d7512.JPG

d3b5689e-b96e-4ec7-ac41-69246d383134.JPG

39a2917c-c036-4fae-b318-823a11e58dee.JPG

57d55905-3806-443e-85ad-a238fdca36df.JPG

6dcdbd57-c56b-4ebe-ad03-6f11255297d8.JPG

0a563348-79ba-4861-b3f9-ebbd29fec4c9.JPG

10d7bf82-1383-4c87-b9da-bff1c8c061ea.JPG

c8d2b731-6c24-4003-9b5a-0886476d778b.JPG

63ec53b2-9fec-4859-a2fa-083ddde1d5f6.JPG

0a6d9a81-2d20-4442-b64f-470a756954fc.JPG

b5beeeb3-3dae-407e-9a08-ad53bb765859.JPG

2fd613fc-9f8f-4369-ac83-5222d99082bb.JPG

Thanks for popping by.

All the best
Chris

• Like 57

Excellent work.

Although I don't possess the kit, I have always found the Ventura a nice aircraft to look at.

Your weathering and finishing is great - hard to believe it is brush-painted.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Thats a really nicely finished Ventura Chris. Love the scheme and the subtle weathering. Just had a re-look at the WIP also - great stuff.

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

That is a very nice looking Ventura Chris,...... ever since Terry at Aviaology informed me of this scheme I have wanted to build a model and seeing how well yours has turned out has encouraged me to go and dust off a Ventura kit! I already have on in the Saddleback scheme but those yellow panels do add so much interest! 

Another cracking addition to your collection mate,....... in case you make another Academy Ventura,.... they only had the entrance door on the left hand side,..... the company made a big boo boo with their panel lines!

Cheers mate,

Tony

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tonyot said:

That is a very nice looking Ventura Chris,...... ever since Terry at Aviaology informed me of this scheme I have wanted to build a model and seeing how well yours has turned out has encouraged me to go and dust off a Ventura kit! I already have on in the Saddleback scheme but those yellow panels do add so much interest! 

Another cracking addition to your collection mate,....... in case you make another Academy Ventura,.... they only had the entrance door on the left hand side,..... the company made a big boo boo with their panel lines!

Cheers mate,

Tony

Hi Tony 

Thank you fella.   Go on dust it off my friend and build away. I know you will be able to do it justice fella.  Thank you for your kind words and pointing out the door. I should have studied at bit better too.  Overall though I am pleased with the kit.  

All the best 

Chris 

Lovely job Chris. 

it really is an attractive model, as you say.

When you are building something you really like the look of it keeps your interest more I find.

• Thanks 1