C-141A in Counter-Shading Camo

I've not seen this before, how widespread was it? I used to see the odd C-141 at Harewood Airport, Christchurch, bringing in loads for Operation Deep Freeze, I think some even did trips to the ice, but they all appeared to be in something similar to Euro camo, that is after they stopped arriving in an overall Light Gray finish.

Steve.

Interesting pictures. I suppose it was connected to the experimental disruptive paints schemes of Keith Ferris that were being playead around with at the time?

I remember the occaisional C-141 coming into CFB Edmonton, near where I grew up, when it was still an air base. I never saw one in anything other than the "Euro 1" wraparound camo.

• Like 2

458762-28844-41.jpg

(The same aircraft in Ellinikon airport Athens Greece) Lockheed C-141A Starlifter 67-0021, of the 438th MAW, is seen here in an experimental two-tone grey camouflage scheme. This was applied to a few aircraft in 1979-80. The exact colours used are not known, but were possibly Compass Ghost Gray and standard Gray. The scheme was short-lived, being dropped in favour of the tactical Éuropean One' finish

• Like 2

I did some googling on this beastie, it went thru a lot of colour schemes & was also lengthened into a C-141B & finally finished in the Euro 1 scheme. This page gives detail as well as how the counter shading paint was found to be heavy & draggy.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

I've never seen pictures of that and was even more surprised to learn it was at a mildenhall show. Perhaps I have seen it then? Old age!!!!

andy

• Sad 1