This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hello all, 

it's not a Work in Progress just yet, but I just want to get it out there so that I feel committed 😉

It will definitely help getting me started. It will probably be a long build for me, as it involves modifications and even some scratch building, which I've never done before. First time for everything and I do like a bit of a challenge. So here goes.

This is the kit, it's a "classic" that I bought second-hand for a nice price. 

42289519672_06acfd630c_z.jpg

A little bit of work has been done on the chassis by the previous owner. 

42872018582_a4224f548b_z.jpg

It's been painted gloss black so that's gotta go. 

Now... as this is "already" my second build I felt that I should make some modifications. The plan is to lenghten the chassis and turn it into a 6x4. I have some extra stuff that I'm somehow going to put on. 

I've got my air spring suspension: 

42872018732_03ee50f346_z.jpg

And some extra wheels and chequer plate wings: 

41110798720_819f621eb7_z.jpg

And, as if that's not going to keep me busy long enough, I'm going to convert it into a hook loader, complete with skip bin which I'm going to build myself. Oh boy. Of course I'm going to run into all sorts of trouble but I'm sure it's going to be fun. 

Thanks for watching!

Have fun with your truck modifications. I built one years ago and from memory it went together well.

Hi, looks good, I’d use a steel spring rear end on that, would be more in keeping with the age of the truck, try an older Italeri 6x4 and use the back end off it.

look forward to seeing it done I’ve done a hook loader this year also

That's a valid point you have there... I'll look into that and maybe save the air for a rainy day... Your hookloader made me want to have a go at one myself!

That are suspension is too modern for the Mercedes also, see if you can get an Italeri Mercedes (older) with a 6x4 chassis (eurocab kit 3904 is available widely) and use the back end off that, if you get the rigid it will give the long chassis rails you need but they are harder to get hold of!

This week, I found a couple of cheap and willing donors for the Benz! The one in the front has a double axle with leaf spring suspension so that's perfect. Also, I'm sure I can use the abundance of chassis I have at my disposal now to fabricate something that will carry a bin!

28223761037_f73e9e1af0_z.jpg

It's been quite a while since I got any work done on the Benz. Been busy in my garden shed; I wanted to construct a spray booth in there but before that could happen a lot of other things had to be done first! That cost me a couple of weekends, but that's ok since it was too hot to do any modelling anyway. Better to work in the shed (it catches sun all day) in that kind of weather 😆

And after that it was time for some vacation.

So. Before I went I was able to take apart my donors and I was left with this: 2 chassis and a small pile of stuff that survived the demolition. 

42511297404_850826a458_z.jpg

All I really needed was the back end off the chassis in front, but the various tanks and boxes will come in handy at some point I'm sure. I started by cutting the double axel off the chassis.

30078974668_f55676c644_z.jpg

It looks OK from a distance (of about 10 meters), but as you can see here all the parts really need a lot of work. It's not been painted though (apart from the drive shaft) so that's a small bonus.

43947622191_a956756882_z.jpg

So I took and/or sawed off all the axle parts in the smallest pieces possible and put them in bags for later use. 

This is the original chassis of the Benz as I purchased it. 

42872018582_a4224f548b_z.jpg

I put it in a bath of IPA to strip the paint and all the parts fell off as well so that was rather convenient. I don't know what glue was used but I'm sure it was not one that bonds plastic. After I cleaned it I did some measuring, eyeballing and guessing and I made the cuts in both the chassis, keeping the front from the Benz and the back end from the other one (it's from Revell's Volvo F12 by the way). 

After some more fiddling and re-attaching the front axle with some proper glue the result is a once again complete chassis; and I must say I'm not unhappy with it. First time hacking plastic and I'm having fun doing it. 

43947621751_f6f27d6527_z.jpg

The wheel base is now 14,5 centimeters (scale 1:25) which translates into 3,625 meters in real life, and that's about what I was going for (I was aiming at 3,624 😋). 

I did a quick mock-up and it looks about right to me.

30078973828_011803be85_z.jpg

I'm now going to take the chassis and try to make it look like both ends really belong together. Then take the axle parts, clean them up and put everything back together. I think I will have to lower the rear suspension a bit because the chassis will otherwise not be horizontal once the wheels are in place. The plan is not to fiddle with the front end so I can hopefully add all the kit's parts in the correct place. I'm sure I'm going to have a bit of trouble at some point because of the cut I made in the original chassis, but as I'm not one for (much) planning ahead I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

Thanks for watching!

Looks good, if it was me I’d pack the front axle, to give a high look that would suit this type of truck, it would probably be seen with a big waste tipper

36 minutes ago, richellis said:

Looks good, if it was me I’d pack the front axle, to give a high look that would suit this type of truck, it would probably be seen with a big waste tipper

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Good evening all, I was able to get some more work done on the chassis today. I wasn't entirely happy with the way I joined the 2 parts earlier, so I took them apart again and made a new connection in a way that I'm much happier with. After some more cutting and fiddling, and then some filling I had version 2.0: 

43281505384_e5e6c776e2_z.jpg

After sanding it down I applied a first coat of primer to check what more needs to be done. 

29062775267_32273f0d96_z.jpg

It does need some more filling and sanding in places but overall I'm happy with the result. 

Next, I wanted to build something from the kit so I made the engine. That was easy as it consist only of 5 or 6 parts. But, it has some nice detail on it. I put it in primer 

29062775477_6bceda9953_z.jpg

and I coated it with some red brown as a first step to make a start with a rusty base layer. I've been watching a lot of "how to's" on how to make things dirty and rusty and there are as many ways to do it as there are modellers it seems. So I just picked a method that I thought would work for me and well, we'll see how that goes. Lots of "firsts" for me in this project. There's always the IPA to make a new start 🙂

43281505704_97ed266d27_z.jpg

It's always brave doing lots of first, but I'm pleased to say that you seem to be making a good job of it. I think you're absolutely right to make sure you're 100% happy with the chassis as it's the sort of thing which will be very hard to fix later. Redoing it now as you have done should save you an awful lot of work later on and leave you with a better result. And based off the VW that 'better result' is likely to be very good indeed.