Mercedes-Benz 1628s 6x4 hookloader conversion

End of the line for today. Supports are in place, filling and sanding was done but some more is needed. That's for another time. 

20200517192120-57ca89e5-me.jpg

20200517192119-16bf58de-me.jpg

• Like 6

Great work jeroen, excellent scratch skills too! Apologies that I'm only just catching up with this build. I had to stop liking your posts as I caught up, you would have been sick of getting the notifications 😂😂😂

Superb work! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, pau10wen said:

Great work jeroen, excellent scratch skills too! Apologies that I'm only just catching up with this build. I had to stop liking your posts as I caught up, you would have been sick of getting the notifications 😂😂😂

Superb work! 

Thanks! Yes I noticed there were a bit much, I thought what have I done to deserve this? 😉 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cherry268 said:

The MOD DROPS system uses the same principal

If you search online you will find lots of different bodies

Hi @cherry268 thanks for pitching in again 🙂 

Of course I went to google right away. If you search for that exact phrase you land squarely in the world of online gaming where "mod" means "modification" and "drop" is a modern way of saying "there you go" 😉 

It took me a few minutes to figure out that it's short for Ministry Of Defence but then I found what you were referencing. Thanks!

• Haha 1

Hi all, @gt6mkiii inspired me to start experimenting with some photo backdrops, I think it looks really cool. I found this barn while on one of our morning walks and photographed it head on. Cropped the picture and had it printed on some thick A3 paper today. It's now glued on foamboard and I'm in the process of trying to make a (sort of) convincing asphalt base. Try it out, it's good fun. It takes a bit of playing around with the camera but it pays off. 

Here are some "preliminairies" 🙂 

The setup: 

20200518214814-40a914ce-me.jpg

Try-outs:

20200518214813-17d8470b-me.jpg

20200518214813-9737e9a8-me.jpg

I have one more print coming in where I zoomed in more on the barn, making the detail bigger. My guess is it works better for these large truck models. 

• Like 4

Looking good Jeroen! One thing I've tried to do with the photo backgrounds is to scale the printout to the scale of the model although it might not be easy to do with a such a large truck and a barn. 😀

5 hours ago, gt6mkiii said:

Looking good Jeroen! One thing I've tried to do with the photo backgrounds is to scale the printout to the scale of the model although it might not be easy to do with a such a large truck and a barn. 😀

Thanks Martin. I was thinking the same thing. I had more backgrounds printed yesterday, I now have 2 barn walls, each one with 2 different views. 

20200520061427-2717e157-me.jpg

I haven't tried it yet but I'm kind of hoping that the ones on the left should be about right for 1/24 scale trucks. I've seen in your photo's that car and wall are both in focus and my guess is that you can only do that when everything is in about the same scale, right? Otherwise you'll have to resort to blurring the background which I did in the earlier post. Looks OK too, but you'd want full depth of field on the model as well. I know you have posted camera settings in one of your posts somewhere but haven't found them yet. The camera I use is not very sophisticated but you can apply manual settings which I'm always afraid to do 🙂 ... I use the mode where you set "F" manually and it figures out the rest for itself. 

Good news for scaling the images is that the non-garage doors in your photos should about 3.5" high to be 1:24 scale. I think there's a bit of leeway, but if the scale is too far off, something's going to look odd. 

For the camera settings, being able to control "F" is what you need to get the maximum depth of field - something around f18 or higher. That is going to make the aperture so small that your camera will compensate with a high ISO which leads to grainy photos and probably a very slow shutter speed which means a tripod will probably be necessary. In the last shots I did of the Dodge Dart, I wanted to hold the camera and keep the ISO as low as I could so I ended up sacrificing a bit of depth of field even in outdoor light.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gt6mkiii said:

Good news for scaling the images is that the non-garage doors in your photos should about 3.5" high to be 1:24 scale. I think there's a bit of leeway, but if the scale is too far off, something's going to look odd. 

The white door on the bottom left turns out to be exactly that so that's good news. The one on the top right is slightly taller. The bottom right is a good fit for 1/35 scale. I'll just have to play with it a little bit I guess. I don't have an A3 printer at home but the shop which did these prints is close by anyway. 

The maximum F on my camera is 8. Maybe I should look into getting a second hand camera somewhere. I'd like one with easier access to the SD card, when I have it mounted on the tripod the SD panel is covered by the mount. Annoying. 

Getting there... sides fitted. 

20200524173445-e431a7f0-me.jpg

It's becoming a nice little bin. 

20200524173445-5023ce79-me.jpg

Just the pickup "ring" to be added at the front, and the rollers at the back. 

• Like 4

Detail for the pick up added. I used 1 mm lead wire for it. Could have been a little thicker but this was the thickest I have. Didn't want to shape this thing out of plastic rod, would have been difficult. 

20200524205733-c53da4e5-me.jpg

It looks OK but I'll think about it. 

20200524205733-e79f42f2-me.jpg

The whole thing is starting to look convincing though. 

20200524205732-fa41ad76-me.jpg

• Like 6

I redid the pick up, the 1 mm wire was too thin. I thought I'd try some 2 mm rod first. Carefully applied heat from a lighter and I was able to get a nice bend, it went better than I expected. 

It looks way better now, much more realistic.

20200525180920-791cef95-me.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, that is better. I was too polite to comment on the old one. :wink:

Were you now? Never let politeness get in the way of a good build 🙂 

Don't worry, I can handle a bit of criticism. A bit! 

• Haha 1

OK that's the bin completed. Now, paint! Well, tomorrow. I've decided to leave it empty. This project's been two years and I really want to move on!

20200529215725-730ba424-me.jpg

Final bits were the rollers. 

20200529215725-b02ea358-me.jpg

And the "ramp locks", for which I fiddled something together from strip and lead wire. 

20200529215724-44055f61-me.jpg

I think primer, then red/brown, then ultimately yellow(ish). It shouldn't look too bright 🙂 

• Like 5

Basic painting finished. I've wanted to try Tamiya's Oxi primer for some time and this morning was my chance. Great stuff, gives you a good base colour. 

20200530151038-59fb43ad-me.jpg

I then added some random red-brown. Hard to see but here's a pic for the sake of it. 

20200530151038-d5e76666-me.jpg

Then I clearcoated it, after which I applied hairspray. I like this method for larger surfaces. Then on with yellow. 

20200530151039-bec66fc8-me.jpg

After a bit, not too long, I went to town on it with water and a stiff brush. 

20200530151039-6bcafd7a-me.jpg

20200530151040-0a958548-me.jpg

20200530151040-6d91dd0e-me.jpg

This should give me a good base for further weathering. Not that much is needed but a bit of drybrushing, some texture and some variation in rust tones would be nice. 

• Like 6

Glad to see this back on the bench, and your scratch building amazes me more every time.  Can't wait to see this finished.  Then hopefully you might get back on the Scania, though I was probably almost as broken as you when the body came back out all cracked.  Seeing you build that made me need that kit when I can justify the cost, and have some where to put it on display.  I love a long nose and 3 axles on my trucks, maybe I'll get to drive one sometime :).  But for now this build is doing just fine on the truck front 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reini said:

Maybe try some washes?

That's the idea!

4 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Glad to see this back on the bench, and your scratch building amazes me more every time.  Can't wait to see this finished.  Then hopefully you might get back on the Scania

I'd like to finish the Benz too, day off tomorrow so if I don't manage today then certainly tomorrow.

Then the Scania will reclaim the bench! Still some paint to strip first, which reminds me to throw some parts in iso to soak for a bit.

• Like 2

That's a checkmark behind the bin. I'm quite happy with it. No, make that: I'm really happy with it. For the floor I used thin sheet because I wanted to show dents in the floor, and the ribbing underneath. I think it worked out well between the thin sheet and the colour I was able to apply. 

20200531123456-665aff85-me.jpg

First I sprayed Vallejo's rust wash over the entire bin. After that I used a combination of Tamiya weathering powders and what must be my favorite Vallejo weathering product, Rust Texture. It's sort of dark brown and as the name says it has a bit of texture in it. What I do is apply some of it on the surface and then dab or rub my finger over it. You get colour, texture, streak, al in one. By applying more or rubbing less you can create different effects. All the dark spots on the bin's floor were created like this, after first accentuating the ribs with Tamiya's rust powder. 

20200531123455-db776903-me.jpg

I did the same for the inside and outside walls, the main goal being to break the even colours on the surfaces. 

20200531123455-be8d9d03-me.jpg

20200531123454-cb96d221-me.jpg

It turned out pretty much the way I figured so that's always a good thing isn't it? 🙂 

Now, the final job on the Benz is to dirty up the tyres a little bit using Tamiya weathering powder and a bit of Vallejo pigments. Then pics! But first, lunch. 

• Like 7

A very well used piece of kit and I think you were right beefing up the lifting eye - the second version looks far more like it's up to the job.

One small suggestion, could you scatter a few traces of debris or litter on the bed of the bin: in the real world I don't think they would ever be spotlessly clean ?

• Like 1