Mercedes-Benz 1628s 6x4 hookloader conversion

8 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

The cooler and thermos look a little too clean but I guess the fella has a hard working female at home looking after them๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Exactly what I was thinking haha... Mrs. Truckdriver makes him clean his cooler and thermos before he takes them insideย ๐Ÿ˜‹

ย 

I'm going to give them a bit of a wash to take the edge off ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Small update. I matted down the cab using Vallejo's matt varnish, easy to apply by brush. Inserted the windows, there are 3 separate pieces, 2 for the rear windows and 1 for the front and small side windows. The fit is not entirely correct, there's a small gap at the top. It's not too visible, probably not at all if you attach the sun visor to the cab but I don't intend to do that, I like the cab better without it. The larger side windows have no glass in them, so you have a good view of the interior. Getting the interior in was a tight fit but it worked out in the end, I had put the steering column in a too upright position so I had to reposition it. My cooler didn't fit in the center console, so it's now in the passenger footwell. Only steps and front bumper to add, and the mirrors but I won't do that until the whole truck hasย beenย completed.ย 

ย 

48280316526_ef09983aac_z.jpg

ย 

48280316401_dd431f77dd_z.jpg

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Spiny said:

Looking very good - it can't be far off completion now by the looks of things is it?

Well, it's getting there for sure. Itย still needs lights, plates, and something I've been putting off a little bit, which is some kind of contraption on the left side of the chassis with couplings, hoses etc. to make it look like something with air and hydraulics is going on. But, the truck itself is nearing completion. After that, I still need to make the skip bin, which will be a small project inย itself.ย 

What happens when you keep putting things off? Well, nothing indeed... I've wantedย to add some "hydraulic and air" stuff to the chassis for quite some time but kept thinking it through to the point of nothing happening. I just needed to get on with it and that's what I did.ย 

ย 

I started bending some 0.5mm brass rod and added plumbing from the hydraulic tank into the chassis...

ย 

48301307176_3cefd2c8d2_z.jpg

ย 

and back

ย 

48301419267_c44d87e139_z.jpg

ย 

I have no clue as to whether this resemblesย anything in 1:1 scale but it looks nice and that's what counts is what I say.ย 

ย 

And with a bit of paint on it this is done. Next up,ย some air hoses and couplings to make it look a bit busier.ย 

ย 

48305973142_1218fd646c_z.jpg

ย 

It's a bit difficult to take decent close-up shots with the camera on my phone, so sorry about the lack of focus, on the parts which I wanted to focus on anyway... this cameraย has its own ideas about that.ย 

ย 

Edited by JeroenS
Changed last pic for somewhat better version
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just saw this, this Benz looks good and used already. I have two or three of these, haven't found an idea for them yet. I did find an airport refueller for sale and saved the pictures. It's a single axle with a tanker, might do that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I managed to get my mojo back by starting the Scania build and this week I really felt like finishing the Benz, so that's what I did. Phase 1 is completed! Making the bin to go on top is phase 2, I'm saving that job for the dark days of winter. This week I made all the small stuff that still needed to be made, like the lights and license plates, and after that everything needed to be put together. So far, it's turned out pretty much exactly as I wanted it to. I started this build over a year ago, knowing next to nothing about trucks, having never done any scratchbuilding and weathering. I just jumped in the deep end and started swimming. I've enjoyed every part. It has become a funny little truck, with an '80s Benz cab, the front end of a Mercedes chassis, the back end of a Volvo F12 chassis and modern Volvo drive axles on leaf spring suspension ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

ย 

So. I already took some pics out in the sun today, here's a coupleย of them now.ย 

ย 

48652792688_05051de6ed_z.jpg

ย 

48652793343_6b46865272_z.jpg

ย 

48652792603_ffbb91b0ff_z.jpg

ย 

48653300662_24e279fa28_z.jpg

ย 

ย 

48652793913_e136b28c77_z.jpg

ย 

48652793033_eb88a37dee_z.jpg

ย 

48653154071_d68e50a9d9_z.jpg

ย 

Thanks for watching!ย 

ย 

• Like 5

Thanks Roy!ย 

ย 

3 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Puts my '90s finished 1628S to shame, in the most severe wayย :Dย ย 

Well, I'm quite sure you've improved since then ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

39 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Fantastic end result (I presume it is the end result?)

Thanks Spiny. I'm considering the truck itself done, so yes the end result as far as that's concerned. In my eyes it's not complete without a bin, which is still on the todo list. But I'll be taking a break from this build for a little while.

Absolutely brilliant work there, love the weathering and the differences to the real thing..... My mate runs an old Daff that's running all sorts of different parts, because better the devil you know! He says why buy a new truck when you can adapt something to make what you've got better.ย 

ย 

Great work ;D

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Turned out real good.

Thanks. Some weathering still needs to be done to tyres and underside of cab, and once my GAZ-AA is finished I think I'll start on the waste bin to go on top.ย 

• 5 months later...

Time to give theย Benz a reboot! As I said last year, some more weathering and something for it to carry. I must say I have developed sort of a fetish for these truck mounted waste bins, over here you see them all the time and in all sorts of different styles and states and I can't stop looking at them. I was going for a more or less standard version, but as I didn't seem to get started I realised I was waiting for that "special one" to catch my eye. And what do you know, a while back, on a morning walk with Mrs. S, I saw it. It's not exactly a waste bin, it's meant as utility vehicle transport but I new this was it. It must be custom made as I've never seen another one before (now that I've said this, I'll probably see one by the end of this week ๐Ÿ˜‰).ย 

ย 

This is it:ย 

ย 

20200513214714-f19a93d9-me.jpg

ย 

And here from another angle.ย 

ย 

20200513215722-8d3f1158-me.jpg

ย 

You can drive a vehicle onto it and fasten it the "head board" (I don't know if that's theย correct term). This should give me the possibility to put something on there at some point.ย 

ย 

Also, it shouldn't be too difficult to make which is good, I can do this alongside my other builds. I will have to make the head board higher because the Benz's hook is taller. But that's ok, it doesn't have to be precisely the same.ย 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

You can drive a vehicle onto it and fasten it the "head board" (I don't know if that's theย correct term). This should give me the possibility to put something on there at some point.

That should give you an incentive to get back to building cars ;) It will be interesting to see how the scratchbuilding (I presume) goes on this one.

7 hours ago, Spiny said:

That should give you an incentive to get back to building cars ;)ย 

Hahaha... well I've been doing nothing but that for the past 4 months but in a different part of the forum. I'll post an RFI soon!

Feels good to be working on the Benz again after so long. After all, this is the last job before it's well and truly done. Been working on the bin today, although I don't know if it's the correct term for it, it's not for waste but for equipment. Bin is probably still correct.ย 

ย 

Anyway, underside is done.ย 

ย 

20200516213925-3b0becab-me.jpg

ย 

There should be more crossmembers in the middle part, but... there's no room for them, the middle part of my hook is too high. Or my platform too low, or both, but it's a good few mm's so Iย decided to solve it like this. It's not like you can see much of it from up top once it's painted. Well, not entirely true, I do plan on showing the chassis through the floor, which I why I chose thin 0.25 mm sheet. I'd like to make some dents in it.ย 

ย 

Made a start on the front as well.ย 

ย 

20200516213926-0610fb92-me.jpg

ย 

20200516213926-f936769d-me.jpg

ย 

A pretty good result, I'm happy so far. It's going faster than I'd expected. I haveย done a fair bit of scratchbuilding lately, apparently the practice is paying off.ย 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I've seen these used to carry scaffold poles and associated equipment.

Exactly, I figure in this way you don't have to load and unload all of this things for every new project and you can have multiple bins standing around. Load 'm up and deliver. This is a nice idea actually Pete, I was thinking about what to load it with, there's not many utility stuff in 1/25 scale which would fit in something like this. I mean, there's AMT's Caterpillar but somehow I think the bin would need to be a little bit bigger for that oneย ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

I think the bin would need to be a little bit bigger for that one

A CAT is probably a bit heavy too. How about Wheely bins (Dumpsters) or big boxesย on Pallets that a forklift has loaded in there.

Or salvage? Wooden beams and various house/factory demolition items.

• Like 1

More work on both sides of the bin. Front end needs a bit of filling and sanding. Sides are up next.ย 

ย 

20200517145724-17a5246e-me.jpg

ย 

I'm quite happy with that rear "door".ย 

ย 

20200517145724-a7013f41-me.jpg

ย 

It's starting to look like something.ย 

ย 

20200517145724-6c1f735a-me.jpg

ย 

ย