Mercedes-Benz 1628s 6x4 hookloader conversion

Some final detail on the hookloader frame (warning: unforgiving close-ups 🙂). This completes the frame as far as I'm concerned. I can now connect 4 hoses in various places, that should do it. 

40926495383_5b9b0cd9d0_z.jpg

47840834052_c8272a2d60_z.jpg

• Like 1

Working on the tail end of the chassis, a little rough...

40935338433_b711f7367d_z.jpg

but already much better after round 1 of sanding.

47849761652_c227188bc2_z.jpg

Connects to the frame like this: 

47112436394_8c32f481dd_z.jpg

The guide wheels will be connected to the sides of the narrow part with tube. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, a nice day off so that meant some time to spend on the Benz. I'm still working on the rear of the truck, it's almost complete enough to start painting the chassis. I fixed the supports for the mud guards to the chassis, fabricated a bumper and its attachment points on the chassis and also I made the... things... that will hold the lights and the licence plate. I looked at a lot of reference photo's and I sort of combined several until I had something I liked. 

Some pics: wheels, mud guards and bumper are still removeable, the rest is fixed to the chassis. 

47966939897_754f333edb_z.jpg

47966959518_0d0644faee_z.jpg

I noticed that on older trucks everything is just a little bit off so I'm happy that I was able to reproduce that look 😉 

• Like 3

It really feels as if things are going somewhere after you've put a little paint on doesn't it? Some black/nato black does wonders for appearances. 

47972849953_8145f40986_z.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

It really feels as if things are going somewhere after you've put a little paint on doesn't it? Some black/nato black does wonders for appearances. 

I agree wholeheartedly on that - it's amazing how a bit of paint can turn a plain and often uninspiring piece of plastic into something which looks like a miniature version of the real thing (as you've demonstrated above).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, a fair bit of progress to report today. All of a sudden, it's starting to look like a truck. I got the painting/ chipping of the chassis and the hookloader frame done, although some spots  do need some more work. With that done, I could add all the parts I'd completed earlier to the chassis, like the engine, exhausts, battery box and tanks. 

48115255688_005427aa8c_z.jpg

48115314537_b0d4917d84_z.jpg

I added some hoses to the hookloader frame and the airtank on the back. 

48115223451_817288ef5a_z.jpg

48115255628_a394c5c804_z.jpg

Of course I couldn't resist a dryfit with the wheels in place. 

48115312263_6fd90c5ee3_z.jpg

I need to work on blending the colours on some of the parts, as I've painted them in various batches over time the colours and weathering stages differ a little. 

The mudguards have received coats of Tamiya's gloss black and chrome silver. I think I'll do some Tamiya smoke next and see how that turns out. I'm thinking maybe a hint of copper is needed as well.

48115372627_971f7cac11_z.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 8

As ever some excellent work.  Its a pleasure to observe this scratch building.  Really like the weathering, i keep thinking i'd like to weather something a lot but can't bring myself to do it for fear of ruining a kit.  Keep up the excellent work.

Coops

Edited by Cooper645
spelling
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cooper645 said:

Really like the weathering, i keep thinking i'd like to weather something a lot but can't bring myself to do it for fear of ruining a kit.

Simple solution: buy something on the cheap and just go for it... Have no fear, it's only plastic 🙂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Great looking engine!

Black piece in front of it (air duct?) might appreciate a tad of dust.

Thanks Roy! Yes, you're quite right. That's the "blending" I was talking about 🙂 ... I now have a couple of parts on there which are squeaky clean compared to others! The plan is to fix that first, then the whole truck will get some mud and dust. Underside first, then the outside but the cab needs to be in place before I do that. Still some parts left on that one. 

A small update... I was up early, got all the "weekend" stuff out of the way first and then a quick trip to the shed before it would get too warm in there. I was able to paint some assorted small stuff and I finished the mudguards as well. I'm quite pleased with them I must say. Over the gloss black (X-1) and silver (X-11), I first sprayed a hint of dark copper (XF-28) and then finished up with some smoke (X-19).  I'm writing it down in case I forget 😉 

I like how they turned out, the silver is really bright but it's a good base for some light additions of other colours. 

48151110802_4a3bcfb8db_z.jpg

• Like 3

Excellent work. I intend to get in the shed tonight, fingers crossed I don’t bake in there.  This is really coming along nicely now.  No shame in writing things down, I’d forget my head if it wasn’t screwed on sometimes I’m sure. 

• Thanks 1

Hi all. I went ahead and did some work on the "blending in" of the parts on the chassis, mainly the exhausts and the parts on the front of the engine. It looks about done now. 

48160230077_2ddb71e7e4_z.jpg

Also did some work on the back of the truck, painted and installed the drawbar coupler. It's from one of the Italeri accessory kits. And painted the parts that will hold the license plate and the lights and some electrical sockets in a nice colour which I purchased especially for these parts. It's Vallejo's Pale Burnt Metal from the Metal Colour range. I'll definitely use it again, it has a nice plain metal look.

By the way, could someone tell me the correct word for these parts? I really have no clue. I keep saying "the parts that hold the license plate and the lights" but there must be something which takes less time to type 🙂  

48160026861_6390e0316c_z.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 5

Looking really good now.

I'm sure someone will come up with the proper name, but I'd just call it the number/licence plate and light housing if it was me writing this (then you could always just call it the housing after the first time of writing in a post).

• Thanks 1

We used to call them underun bars for obvious reasons but  don't think there is definitive name.

Looking good anyway

Edited by cherry268
Forgot to praise!!
  • Thanks 1

I finished the guide wheels for the hookloader frame and painted, weathered and attached them. 

48190639217_58f2ea1a9b_z.jpg

Among others, I've used this photo as a reference for the back of the truck. I think I'm pretty close. This particular truck is usually parked very near where I live, evenings and weekends. I have some good pictures of it.

48190604746_449e2ab8e3_z.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all, lots of sports to watch this weekend so not a whole lot of time spent at the bench. 

I did paint all of the remaining bits and pieces though, mainly for finishing the cab,

48224501502_698518dc16_z.jpg

And some black detailing of the cab exterior, window surrounds and such. 

48224501407_74b9a9bf57_z.jpg

I made a start on a cooler, for the driver to keep his lunch nice and fresh. 

48224446051_3211d2b44f_z.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 3

Even with not much time, you've still got some nice detail parts in there - either you are supporting those pieces with small tree trunks of those mirror arms in particular are incredibly thin.

I suspect for Britain it will be next weekend where we have sport taking over the day - Sunday has the Grand Prix and quite possibly the cricket World Cup final on which will wipe out my day. Other people may get distracted by what's going on in Wimbledon.

8 hours ago, Spiny said:

either you are supporting those pieces with small tree trunks of those mirror arms in particular are incredibly thin.

Well indeed Spiny, I grow a forest of nice, straight, skewer trees 🙂 ... They are quite thick, so I can superglue them to the parts in places which will not be visible. A strong bond but easy enough to snap when painting is done. Must be lots of people doing this but I must give Roy credit for making this click in my mind, I remember consciously seeing this method for the first time in one of his older posts. Went to the market straight away and bought me a big bag of those skewers. 

Well, that was fun, happy with the outcome too... A fine coolbox! I'm sure Mr. Truckdriver will be happy with it. 

48242747766_d0c4247543_z.jpg

• Like 2

OK so that's a wrap for the interior. A cooler, newspapers, something resembling a thermos and a "remote" thingy for the hookloading stuff. 

48251681862_530e5543e3_z.jpg

• Like 4