Eduard MiG-21MF in 72nd scale

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I have no idea if it is still available or not,

Available, available!

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I will most certainly “borrow” few parts.

Very interesting!

B.R.

Serge

Although I don't have one of the new Eduard 72nd scale MiG-21 kits I do have a copy of their 48th scale one and this has become my new go-to reference for when I start it. Thank you Gabor :thumbsup: Your work on these kits is stunning as well as creating a fantastic general resource for modeller of the MiG-21 MF in any scale.

4 hours ago, Hook said:

What he said! I'm almost afraid to start mine now....

Cheers,

Andre

He is just inspiring me , and that's good !

Cheers

Madcop

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, ya-gabor said:

Sprue C is a common item to be found in all present and up coming Fishbed kits! It will stay with us!

On 10/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, ya-gabor said:

While the UB-32 was used every now and then (but on regular basis the UB-16 was used) the MBD2 almost never! The only question is then WHY include the MBD2 and UB-32 if only one is given. A complete waste of space on the sprue.

Just a thought - perhaps for boxings which shows the UB-32 and MDB2 as for use in the instructions, two sets of Sprue C will be included? 

This would make the commonly seen "three PTB 490" config possible as well. 

Cheers,

Andre 

47 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Andre,

Have no idea what the plan is in Eduard HQ. Next weekend at Plasticova Zima if Mr. Sulc is there and the opportunity is given then I will ask him.

Thanks! That would be lovely. 

There was some mix up with Frame C which is visible on things that are included. Yes, it is possible to do a three 490 l PTB configuration and I think seen some photos of it. Was it a Czech or GDR aircraft but I think they also said that it was only for the photo. In theory no problem and if you like it . . .

Well, you could even hang five tanks from your MiG-21 model and claim photographic proof... 

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/PiotrekS/Lotnictwo net/213x8002x490dalekosinym.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/PiotrekS/Lotnictwo net/213x8002x490dalekosinym2.jpg

😉

I also find it strange that the dual K-13 racks seen on Polish MiG-21's did not seem to have made the translation of 1/48th to 1/72nd in the Eduard kits. 

In early years of operation in most cases for the centre line pylon had the 490 fuel tank, but even early MiG-21 versions were able to carry the 800 litre version. There are excellent views of GDR MiG-21PFM with the 800.

But of course what you hang under your kit is entirely up to you as long as you like it.

Indeed. Personally, I do like my loads to be at least somewhat realistic. But to each his / her own. 

Incidentelly, would you happen to know if the centreline 800 liter tank of the MiG-21 is the same as carried on the MiG-23/27, since both items seem to share the "PTB 800" designation?

Cheers,

Andre

On 11/18/2018 at 1:59 PM, Hook said:

Incidentelly, would you happen to know if the centreline 800 liter tank of the MiG-21 is the same as carried on the MiG-23/27, since both items seem to share the "PTB 800" designation?

Cheers,

Andre

Sorry I have to remove my posts

Good Bye

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:07 AM, ya-gabor said:

Yes, it is the same PTB 800.

It was uniform, so in principle one could interchange them. In real life every aircraft had its own set of external fuel tanks, numbered, marked. For our MiG-21's they were stored on a special custom made hanger, a kind of rack which had 3 of the small ones (left, right and centre) and one 800 l version up-side-down. The wing and the centre line version PTB 490 were slightly different.

Thanks, very interesting information!

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Gabor, I have a two question about the shade of the glass canopy MiG-21.

First question.

It seems to me that the central fixed part of the canopy, has a slightly bluish tint

to protect from the sun's rays:

web.jpg

web.jpg

QICooBkjqyLBI0Nks_Je4WosUE5hBPAOMx3kwlcY

QICooBkjqyLBI0Nks_Je4WosUE5hBPAOMx3kwlcY

Best view (?):

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

(Resource all photo:

https://igor113.livejournal.com/tag/миг-21 )

Is it so? Or does it seem to me?

Second question.

On MiG-21F/F-13/PF have separate armour glass.

20181206-175617.jpg

This armour glass was always clear or with time have 

slightly yellowish tint?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

20181130-200014.jpg

From left to right - Revell, Zvezda, Modelsvit

20181130-202525.jpg

Gabor, any comments?

Where is the truth?

Edited by Aardvark

On 12/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, ya-gabor said:

Hope this answers your questions.

Gabor, Thank you very much for the answers!

On 12/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, ya-gabor said:

Will it go yellow?

One needs a lot of time, I mean many many years of open storage and the bulletproof glass will start to have milky white edges as the glue/resin between the glass layers starts to age. One can see this well on Su-22 front glasses.

Why did I ask a question about the yellow shade of bulletproof glass? In one of the aviation magazines, I read the claims of the Soviet aircraft industry from pilots who flew on Soviet aircraft during the Second World War. One of the claims was a very rapid change in the transparency of the bulletproof glass and the acquisition of a yellowish tint. When you wrote your answer, I thought, maybe he corrected it, because after the war many years had passed! But literally today, when I was looking for a photo of the MiG E-6 for this topic:

, I came across this photo. Previously, I did not consider it in detail, but having considered now I see that the armored glass has a yellowish or smoky shade:

mig21f-12.jpg

At the same time, the canopy  is transparent. Maybe the problems with the transparency of the bulletproof glass were still on the early MiG-21?

Recourse photo:

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fighter/mig21f.html

B.R.

Serge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

On 6/23/2018 at 5:26 PM, ya-gabor said:

The sink marks on the RS-2US missiles are not so important, I don’t plan to use them at all. If ever I will want to add them on a future kit will replace them with my own resin RS-2US or buy a Brassin one.

Upon further investigation I don't think those are sink marks on the Alkali missiles - they're recesses for the bifurcated nozzles (parts C4). 

Cheers,

Andre