Eduard MiG-21MF in 72nd scale

On 8/13/2018 at 12:42 AM, madcop said:

Hi Gabor

Real nice attention to details. Could you maybe post a picture showing the differences on the sticks handgrips ?

You said " The main airbrake in the kit is a definitive NO USE part (D45) for me. It is way too thick and lacks details. A set of new main airbrakes was made."

Did you build it out of plastic sheet , or from another one or from P.E. ?

Looking forward to see more of your work , especially on the nose ….

Many thanks,

Madcop 😉

Sorry I have to remove my posts

Good Bye

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Thanks 1

Geeeeeeeeeeeeee……………...

So far away from the nose, isn't it ?  Looks like we'll never reach there…but patience should pay at the end !………… So much details and explanations. You are an open book !

Many, many thanks.

Madcop.

Hi,

What an inspiring build you are showing here!

However disappointment struck when reading about the Gorkiy/Moscow differences. As I had a couple spare decals I'd thought let's buy the overtrees kit a couple of times only to discover they're not the Moscow built ones... So I was thinking of building the Hungarian example 9514 provided by HAD on their sheet 72114 with the star roundels. Is this a possible candidate for the Gorkiy kit?

Thanks for your answer!

Hello,

when the kit came out I first thought this was a version of the MiG-21 that was only built for the export and I want to build a Soviet one.

But now, also thanks to the very interesting and helpful background information you give us, ya-gabor, I know that the MF version was also built for the Soviet service.

So, if I understood it well, most MiG-21MF that were built in the Moscow plant were for the export and those from the Gorky plant were built for the domestic Soviet Air Force.

That makes me get after the kit one day. I will definitely use this thread as a reference guide. Excellent build!

Ramon

On 8/17/2018 at 10:18 PM, 128fiddler said:

I'd thought let's buy the overtrees kit a couple of times only to discover they're not the Moscow built ones...

Sorry I have to remove my posts

Good Bye

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 3

Thank you for all the infos Gabor,

did the few soviet MiG-21MF look like this one?

Matchbox MiG-21

I built it many many many years ago.

What versions of the MiG-21 were the most commonly used in VVS?

Best Regards

Ramon

Edited by Sting67

On 8/19/2018 at 9:52 AM, ya-gabor said:

There are a lot of dark spots in Russian aircraft production with many data still considered secret, under "гриф" as they say it there. There is little chance of doing research there. :( Have to add that it is not because of lack of information, some amazing, extremely detailed data is stored by the bureaucratic Russian military system. Only most of it is kept under locks. Hope one day real information, full data will surface! 

This is somewhat exaggerated. Now everything depends on time and money. Good, solid money that you will have to officially pay for copying information from the archives. As an example I can cite that I once found on the site

http://www.rgakfd.ru 

a film report about the air parade in 1946 where the experimental jets of Lavochkin and Yakovlev were taken off a copy of these documentary films you can count yourself:

http://www.rgakfd.ru/preyskurant-rabot-i-uslug

But to make it clear about what amounts in question, the cost of digitizing the image is 80 rubles  (~ 1$) per second ..... and still have to pay for the extraction, search, etc.

In addition, you also need to spend a lot of time in the archive studying the catalogs, because if you come to the archive and say "give me the MiG-21!" there only will be surprised and will understand the shoulders because in the archive the word "MiG-21" is an empty sound, they need to name/number of the case or folder according to their catalogs. So the numbers / files in the directories will have to be searched for independently and this is a lot of time, your personal time and money.

With the archives of the design bureaus, a slightly different story .... Serov, Zasypkin, Rigmant, etc. who are all these people? That's right, it's employees archival departments of design offices, books of which the aircraft Yakovlev, Tupolev, Lavochkin etc you can see in the sale, why should they just publish it for free if you can turn into a book and get paid for it?

What did you want from capitalism?

:)

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

About "Sokol" archive.When this topic

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_44400.html

appeared, I was interested in his author about the possibility of searching for information on Alekseyev I-211 which was done on the "Sokol", he told me that the only technical documentation that he managed to find was being sold in his branch. The technical information is probably either destroyed or transferred to the central archives, in principle, as far as I remember the archival records, there should be records of the cases transferred to the central archives ..... But after a certain period of storage they are also destroyed ..... so all hope only on the central state archives.

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2

Hi Gabor, 

I'm aware of the Moscow overtrees kit now right after I've read your post...

However i'm carefully planning which MiG-21s I'm going to build, as at this pace I can't afford a whole production line 😉. So I'm willing to do a DDR and a HuAF MF. For the first no problem as I just have to source the Eduard decals for it. The Hungarian one is the second candidate as if I understood you correctly, the Hungarian air Force also used the Gorkiy MFs. That's why I'm eager to find out which ones they were, so I don't have to change plans 😀

My particular aircraft of interest is the 9514 with the construction number 969514, is that a way to determine from which production plant they were delivered? Any help on that is realy great!

I'm looking forward to the progress of your production line by the way 😉 keep it up! 

...at least you only have two men watching the one man who is working - here it would be three or four, and they would be also be wearing high-visibility jackets, which the contractor can also charge for. 😁