Eduard MiG-21MF in 72nd scale

On 6/20/2018 at 8:04 PM, boom175 said:

Rats, I am not as a big fan of the "narrow-spine"MiG-21's as I am of the MF,MT and bis versions.

Sorry I have to remove my posts

Good Bye

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 12:53 AM, Space Ranger said:

What are the catalog numbers of the two kits?

Sorry I have to remove my posts

Good Bye

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 2

If I was the campany I'd leave out UB bloks from the kit.
Anyway nice to see the new kits especially the separate two versions.

On 22/06/2018 at 02:44, ya-gabor said:

Here are some more details. Have a look at the plastic parts for the cockpit. I think there is not much need for any resin parts here. Made a comparison with photos of the real cockpit and about 98% of switches are there, exactly where they should be. With painting this will be as good as it could get in 72 nd scale.

For those who don’t like painting there is always an option of the coloured brass parts included in the Profipack version of the kit. It has all the dials and knobs. But it is a two dimensional flat surface. Compare them to the three dimensional surface of the plastic parts. I prefer the plastic. But we will see how the painting goes.

I know that Eduard is doing a Brassin cockpit for this kit. In my opinion seeing the plastic parts I don’t think there is any need for the resin cockpit. Have to add that painting a one piece cockpit is not an easy task. OK, you just drop it in and no more work with it, but if it is not painted properly what is the use. I understand the policy of the company where they will make suck an alternative cockpit for every kit they have. But here the plastic parts are superb!

Here is the KM-1M ejection seat. Looks OK, but I am still not sure if it will be used. We will see, fortunately it is not a question at this stage.

Now some bad news. There are shrink marks in several places. What to do about them? Still don’t know. I would not want to lose the nice surface details but on the other hand they do look nasty on the side of the fins. The reason for them is simple, inside the fin there is a cavity for the positioning piece to make the fin stand at a correct angle and making a positive positioning of the fin + top fuel tank part.

With a camouflage aircraft I feel that the shrink marks here will not be so visible but if you want to do a natural metal version you are in deep trouble. There are some shrink marks on the wing top and bottom but they are not so visible. It is possible that these shrink marks are only on some early Gorkiy MF Profipack kits. A change in cooling of the press tool could solve the problem. Don’t know if they have made changes but on the Moscow MF the shrink marks on the fin are not so noticeable.

On the weapons sprue there are also some shrink marks, mainly with the thicker parts. The ones I seen are on the RS-2US guided missile bodies and some of the bombs. I have no plan to use either of them so  . . .

It is interesting that the sway braces were incorporated onto the unguided missile launchers. It is a feature not really shown earlier by other makers. A nice touch!

Best regards

Gabor

On 22/06/2018 at 02:44, ya-gabor said:

<clip<

Now some bad news. There are shrink marks in several places. What to do about them? Still don’t know. I would not want to lose the nice surface details but on the other hand they do look nasty on the side of the fins. The reason for them is simple, inside the fin there is a cavity for the positioning piece to make the fin stand at a correct angle and making a positive positioning of the fin + top fuel tank part.

With a camouflage aircraft I feel that the shrink marks here will not be so visible but if you want to do a natural metal version you are in deep trouble. There are some shrink marks on the wing top and bottom but they are not so visible. It is possible that these shrink marks are only on some early Gorkiy MF Profipack kits. A change in cooling of the press tool could solve the problem. Don’t know if they have made changes but on the Moscow MF the shrink marks on the fin are not so noticeable.

On the weapons sprue there are also some shrink marks, mainly with the thicker parts. The ones I seen are on the RS-2US guided missile bodies and some of the bombs. I have no plan to use either of them so  . . .

<clip>

Hi Gabor,

I just compared your pictures of the test shot with my production standard kit. In it tail and wing are not as bad as yours but missiles are not that much better.

The Gorkiy one is the one to start for us if KP fails and who can't wait several years for Eduard BIS?

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

This is a great thread, very informative. The Eduard kit looks really good but it is an incredible shame about those sink marks. They would be very hard to rectify neatly given the excellent surface detail I can see.

Hope you can fix this EDUARD?

Terry

On 6/23/2018 at 6:26 PM, ya-gabor said:

The kit parts shown above are PRODUCTION sprues from a Profipac kit! Only the brownish Moscow MF is a test sprue!  I believe they have  made some corrections since on the Moscow sprues the sink marks are not so bad.

The sink marks on the RS-2US missiles are not so important, I don’t plan to use them at all. If ever I will want to add them on a future kit will replace them with my own resin RS-2US or buy a Brassin one.

The 21 bis is so far in future that I have no plans for it at the moment. Did the Fujimi many years ago, so for the moment no hunger to do one. (But never say never!) B)

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

I stand corrected.

Looks like I just had better luck with my kit.

When Fujimi kit was released it was huge disappointment at least here as couple of gents knowing the MiG found it dimensionally and shapevise pretty hopeless being over-inflated like on air balloon. They said that KP had got at least wing and tail correct but with too slim fuselage. So the average would have been correct...

I have never built Fujimi. Great as a kit but less as an MiG-21 :( That's why I'm waiting either hopefully correct spine from KP or converting he Eduard.

Cheers,

AaCee

11 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Concerning the sink marks I had a closer look at different versions of the kit. So here it is:

On the very first so called “Library Edition” kit the sink marks are not so visible on the fin. They are there, but not so visible as on the Profipack version next to it. The two are compared on the same picture, same lighting conditions . . .

ayKEm00.jpg

I just checked my one "Library Edition" kit, and there are no sink marks to be found anywhere on it.

• Like 1

I have one profipack and one OT set, both bought during a pre-sale event in one of the model stores in Prague (so most likely pieces from the initial production) and one OT set bought about a month later. When compared, the later OT set has less sink marks than the earlier bought kits. There still are small sink marks on the stabilizer, but wings are OK.

There is one more thing you should be careful about though! Multiple people confirmed that the nose cone in their kit was not completely molded -- the tip was round, not pointy. One of the examples was actually shown at Facebook few days back, built by some modeller in the Malian markings. Fortunately all 3 kits I have are OK. Most likely it was an initial production issue and is now gone, but if you encounter this, I'd suggest to contact Eduard and ask for replacement.

10 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I just checked my one "Library Edition" kit, and there are no sink marks to be found anywhere on it.

Well that is good news. Perhaps this problem has been resolved going forward.

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

But I think this problem is a bit overrated. Will see what I can do on the fin.

It will be interesting to see what can be done. Its just a shame that such a long awaited kit, from a good manufacturer, with what seems to be excellent accuracy, has these issues in such a prominent place.

Terry