RAF 100 Years Flypast Over London July 10th

Latinbear

In anticipation of travelling to London on July 10th for the mass flypast I checked the RAF 100 Years website for further details (it's at 1pm) and found the following statement: 

"The pinnacle of RAF100 celebrations – the flypast. Taking place on The Mall and over Buckingham Palace, the flypast will feature 100 aircraft (and - this word is missing on the website) will be the biggest ever undertaken by the Royal Air Force. Come down and join us to see what will be a once in a lifetime event."

https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/whats-on/flypast/

That is simply a wrong statement. Some 300 aircraft (yes, some of them were probably FAA - I haven't checked) flew over London as part of the victory celebrations in 1945 while at RAF Odiham on July 15th 1953 640 aircraft mounted a flypast for the Coronation. I was fortunate to watch the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain flypast at RAF Abingdon as the formations flew over the airfield on their way from London and there were nigh on 170 aircraft in the flypast.

I may be a pedant and yes, life is too short, but I find it pretty depressing that whoever in the RAF/MoD is responsible for making such statements can't be bothered to do a bit of basic fact checking in relation to the Service's 100th anniversary celebrations not to mention actually writing the sentence incorrectly by missing out the word "and".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the adults have caught up with it as the sentence now includes 'and' and  concludes ' in recent times ' to qualify the matter somewhat.

Not quite on a par with previous anniversary celebrations but no doubt will be televised with the cameras focusing on the oohs and aahs of the great and the good rather than the flypast.

Don't suppose facts actually matter that much to the general public as long as it has the Red Arrows and some pretty smoke.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Des said:

Looks like the adults have caught up with it as the sentence now includes 'and' and  concludes ' in recent times ' to qualify the matter somewhat.

Not quite on a par with previous anniversary celebrations but no doubt will be televised with the cameras focusing on the oohs and aahs of the great and the good rather than the flypast.

Don't suppose facts actually matter that much to the general public as long as it has the Red Arrows and some pretty smoke.

Why would the general public worry it probably isn't their no1 concern ....defence normally isnt .....I do kinda get your point but im afraid its a mute one regarding that topic ....in my opinion

34 minutes ago, Des said:

As it happens I did send them a message using the contact details on the website making the same point as above just before I initiated this thread. Perhaps my message has prompted them to make the correction? If so then it's is moderately pleasing that somebody is paying attention. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Why would the general public worry it probably isn't their no1 concern ....defence normally isnt .....I do kinda get your point but im afraid its a mute one regarding that topic ....in my opinion

I agree, I don't think the general public would care greatly but you would think those who work for the organisation and presumably believe in high standards would care enough to get their facts right when publicising such a high profile event. 

36 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

I agree, I don't think the general public would care greatly but you would think those who work for the organisation and presumably believe in high standards would care enough to get their facts right when publicising such a high profile event. 

Substance and BS im afraid Its all corporate babble and the RAF are pretty good at PR ....the RN are not in the same league sadly 

3 hours ago, Des said:

Based on what I've heard from er... reasonably informed sources (the individual making the comment did so during a Q&A under the Chatham House Rule, but if they're not informed, we're rather stuffed) that this - 'largest in recent times'  - was how it was being touted.

I suspect that this means that someone typing up the webpage failed to read to the end of the [metaphorical] piece of paper and missed it off. I know from experience that there have been a couple of similar (if less obvious) instances of what was meant to appear online appearing as something a bit different because of input error...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Cranwell to see the rehearsal. Not everything there as placeholders for the BBMF and Red Arrows, but it was worth seeing. On way home spent some time at the Newark Air Museum. 

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

The BBC News report on this included Sophie Raworth along for the ride in the Typhoon formation:

Their practice took place over the North Sea to maintain the secret of the formation - my guess is it's '100' ....

I thought exactly the same!!

And in her News at Ten report she told the viewers "That the 10th July will see the largest flypast the RAF has ever mounted over London".

Presumably that's what she was told by the RAF and as they should know then......

I was with 10 others at RAF Coningsby on Friday 29th June on a visit organised by the http://www.centreofaviationphotography.com/ in conjunction with the station PRO where we photographed the Typhoons assembled for one of the rehearsals. We were told that Sophie Raworth had been on the station with her film crew as well as a local BBC crew. We were asked not to post any photos ahead of the event or if we did not to refer to the flypast as the RAF were keen to maintain the secret. To that end the formation headed 160 miles out to the North Sea away from prying eyes.

I will post some images once July 10th has passed. 

Just now, PLC1966 said:

Blimey, the biggest flypast over London...both the RAF and the Luftwaffe managed bigger than that  @78 years ago !!

Yes, but don't tell the RAF!

• Haha 4

Wasn't the 1953 Coronation fly past bigger still???  Almost to the day, July 15th 65 years ago. 197 Piston engine types and 444 jets according to my copy of the Coronation event by Hikoki Publications

Watching the coverage on TV now. They have just described the atmosphere in the Abbey as "A moment of serenity prior to the arrival of Her Majesty the Queen."

Are they expecting her to come in and cause havoc?

• Haha 6

Just watched it on a big screen at work during my lunch break.  Mildly impressed. Located one on FR24 just after; ZZ330 A 330 Voyager c/sign  TART N01.  Three of those Lightning thingys, a Boeing R1 Rivet joint  and a number of others.

Once again, impressed by the formation discipline of the crews in the fly past, mildly disappointed that so few aircraft took part, and why are the Tornadoes being retired ?

Not enough money for the choice between top brass and planes?

• Like 2

Watched the fly past, best part by far was the BBMF and the Typhoon fly past.

Slightly envious of my brother who is on the Mall this afternoon watching it all, also as part of his Birthday celebrations.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:07 PM, Grey Beema said:

Interesting to see that the RAF, like the Queen, now seem to have two birthdays.  One on 01/04 and the official one on 10/07...

Not really - better weather likely and 100 days after the formation (and coincides with the run-up to RIAT, the week before usually including a meeting of Chiefs of various air forces before they head off to the show)

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Watching the coverage on TV now. They have just described the atmosphere in the Abbey as "A moment of serenity prior to the arrival of Her Majesty the Queen."

Are they expecting her to come in and cause havoc?

You have to watch her after a couple of sherries. Allegedly...

16 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Once again, impressed by the formation discipline of the crews in the fly past, mildly disappointed that so few aircraft took part, and why are the Tornadoes being retired ?

Not enough money for the choice between top brass and planes?

Because they're nearly 40 years old, are maintenance heavy, are getting towards the end of their fatigue life and are  being superseded by the Typhoon (with the project Centurion upgrades) and the F-35. Had certain decisions about the GR4 upgrade been taken (but they weren't) about 20+ years ago, then we might be able to sustain a TGR force for another few years, although the cost of doing so might become disproportionate fairly quickly if it came at the cost of support for the Typhoon & Lightning.

• Like 3

I have some pics and video from when they came past Windsor Castle. 

Straight over our barracks. 

Video is the ‘100’ by the typhoons and the red arrows (deployed smoke)

PM me your number if interested and I can whatsapp them to you. 

Tony

Watched the spread formation from a few miles up the road.  Started with the King Airs. The Typhoons joined from the North at that point , so they were off track. Typical, I get cloud cover, so photographing grey jets against a grey sky. Difficult to get a focus lock on the F-35s until they had gone over. I got a few decent shots considering.

I thought it was jolly decent of the RAF to give me a flypast on my birthday, even though I'm not 100. :pilot:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3