IDF M1 Super Sherman.

Finally got to post a model that isn't an old one from my collection. This is the first one that I've finished in about a year, and it's the Israeli M1 Super Sherman. Since completing it, I've taken Etienne's advice and revisited some of the weathering, in particular, the suspension. I've also added the headlights and a couple of crew figures. The commander is from the Tamiya M51 and the other crew member is from the Tamiya M1 Sherman with a Hornet Head replacement.

The WIP can be found here; https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235032194-idf-m1-super-sherman-hvss/&page=1

a8b45aed-19a9-4d10-93ec-243f7df73f17.JPG

78ce8590-4331-4b7f-afb7-6a763f9b3cb3.JPG

bdd9812d-8675-40e8-b303-9b22dc1163ac.JPG

e2d0951a-77d0-4340-9f87-3c0d9963bb5a.JPG

2ab4d268-c9e3-444e-8f9c-faf8dc2e069a.JPG

3e590cb5-0de9-4182-9103-fe67bd331c6a.JPG

16bae998-78c7-4f5b-a938-5f9701de4972.JPG

8b7fd1b3-baf1-4b0d-b575-a2103107e6a5.JPG

f2d78980-99c7-43e3-9370-57179f1d326c.JPG

43e9790e-d9fa-40c9-be30-b11b045e7838.JPG

270627e6-a727-458a-8dbd-4b9deb0e9620.JPG

Thanks for the suggestions you've given and thanks for looking. I can now move on to some of the shelf queens and the Challenger.

John.

• Like 27

That is superb John! Great to see a new completeion of yours. As always - it's no surprise that your attention to detail shines through. Very impressive! :worthy:

I like the base too. Can I please ask what you used to represent the ground (sand?) on your base? I need to do something similar for my current build project of Tiger 1, 131, in Tunisia.

Kind regards,

Stix

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

That is superb John! Great to see a new completeion of yours. As always - it's no surprise that your attention to detail shines through. Very impressive! :worthy:

I like the base too. Can I please ask what you used to represent the ground (sand?) on your base? I need to do something similar for my current build project of Tiger 1, 131, in Tunisia.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, and thanks very much for your kind words. They're much appreciated. The base is made up from a piece of expanded polystyrene packing, surrounded with balsa wood sides. I then mix up a fairly runny gloop consisting of household filler, very fine sand, PVA glue (in this instance it was Gorilla Grip) and water. This mixture was then spread over the surface of the polystyrene. Before it went off, I sprinkled some more fine sand in places that looked a bit too smooth. Once it had dried thoroughly, I brush painted it with a mixture of Tamiya Desert Yellow and IJN Grey watered right down (about 3:1). Once dry, I brushed a few pigment powders on to vary the tones.

HTH's.

John.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's just lovely fella, the paintwork is beautifully lively.....Which is always impressive with a monotone scheme.

Many thanks Sgt. Looking at the photos of these tanks in the Negev Desert, they were absolutely thick with dust and mud, so this was an ideal vehicle for applying the pigments.

John.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Stix, and thanks very much for your kind words. They're much appreciated. The base is made up from a piece of expanded polystyrene packing, surrounded with balsa wood sides. I then mix up a fairly runny gloop consisting of household filler, very fine sand, PVA glue (in this instance it was Gorilla Grip) and water. This mixture was then spread over the surface of the polystyrene. Before it went off, I sprinkled some more fine sand in places that looked a bit too smooth. Once it had dried thoroughly, I brush painted it with a mixture of Tamiya Desert Yellow and IJN Grey watered right down (about 3:1). Once dry, I brushed a few pigment powders on to vary the tones.

HTH's.

John.

Hi John. Thank you for that - I will have a bit of an experiment when I start the base for mine. 👍

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi John,

after following the whole process of detailing, I can only say that the result is very convincing !! I particularly like the dust & grime effects 😎

Cheers, E

Hi Etienne, and thanks for the comments. I'm glad that I followed your advice and revisited the lower hull and running gear, although it still doesn't show up as well in the photos. I might try another camera next time.

John.

20 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Awesome build...   I especially like the heads on the figures, the tools and excessories first rate as well.   You have really nailed that..

Many thanks. I changed the head on the loader for one from Hornet Heads, but surprisingly the commander's is the one that came with the kit. It's well detailed.

John.

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Very very nice indeed.  Some very subtle and pleasing weathering.  Love the textures on the rear tarp

Rob

Thanks Rob. I made the tarp from the paper towel rolls that you get in DIY stores, soaked in diluted PVA white glue.

John.

Hi John,

I've been saving this one up for a weekend so I can give it the time to look over and comment on it as it deserves.

A brilliant Sherman, beautifully portrayed.  The dusty look is very convincing. If ever I have one of those sneezes that gets 'stuck on the edge' and just won't come, I can look at your sherman and force it out!

Fantastic weathering overall, but especially on the running gear. I love the look of he HVSS system anyway, but you've managed to make it look even better whereas I feel I ruined mine with all the mud and grass!

Your tools look spot on, with very realistic wood effects on the handles. I've never tried to mimic wood grain, but after seeing yours I think I should give it a go.

I really like the tarps and camo net as well. I wish I could source a decent material for netting! What did you use?

I congratulate you on the figures, the loader especially.

Finally, the nice simple base is the perfect setting for this lovely sherman.

I do have one small 'criticism' and that's regarding the matt finish on the glass in the periscopes/cupola. Having said that, I suspect you've gone for the dusty look there as well, so I'll shut up!

Rearguards,

Badder