1/72 Lancaster B. MK III Dambuster, Hasegawa Kit

Hello everyone!  This projected started in my head over a year ago after being inspired by a Robert Taylor print.  After 6 1/2 months of work, this was the most complicated build I've ever done.  It just so happened to coincide with the 75th Anniversary of the Dambuster Raid.  Please continue scrolling down to see the display in full action, and click on the pictures.   I used a Hasegawa 1/72 Lancaster B. MK III, modified to accept 4 Doyusha electric motors, bomb release altitude lights that illuminate, cockpit communications, Merlin engine sound via MP3 player, Airfix diorama of the Mohne dam, 2 Zvezda Flak 28 guns with crew, Techmod and Kits-World decals to mark Squadron Leader David Maltby's Lancaster AJ-J, Airfix Pilot and Flight Engineer are included on the flight deck.  I was awarded a Silver Medal in category at last Saturday's IPMS Great Lakes contest in McHenry, Illinois.   The real joy was the attention it drew and telling attendees about this incredible mission.  Please enjoy:

New Video with Merlin Engine sound effects, click on picture.

IMG_0184

IMG_0158

IMG_0180

New Name Plate:

IMG_0215 (2)

IMG_0192

IMG_0178

IMG_0177

IMG_0198

IMG_0176

IMG_0174

IMG_0173

IMG_0172

IMG_0171

IMG_0169

IMG_0168

IMG_0167

IMG_0162

IMG_0160

IMG_0156

VIDEOS  SCROLL TO BOTTOM ClICK ON PICTURE

IMG_0187

IMG_0185

IMG_0179

IMG_0197

Edited by CMSCHLOM
New Video
  • Like 40

3 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Fantastic piece of work.  Truly stunning..  I can't get the video to work though..

Click on the photo, should take you to Flickr then click on the start arrow.

Awesome work there - and a brilliant tribute!

Love how you have simulated the ripples in the water (transports me back to watching the movie).

Nice to see the Hasegawa kit getting a run too - somewhat overlooked with other competitors arriving on the market.

Overall a brilliant job, and I wish you success with the generous offer to the Consulate or the Squadron.

:clap:

• Like 2

I bet that German looking at the Lancaster  is thinking “uh oh.”

good model though, I love the diorama. whenever I see something dambusters related I always think of the Trench Run from Star Wars (which was inspired by Dambusters).

*”Stay On Target!”*

• Like 1

Fantastic idea and execution, I like the finish on the model and the representation of the water and the height finding lights- very effective .  I may be wrong but I think you brass plate should say coup de grace with an inverted v or circumflex over the a not gras as in the picture.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Fantastic idea and execution, I like the finish on the model and the representation of the water and the height finding lights- very effective .  I may be wrong but I think you brass plate should say coup de grace with an inverted v or circumflex over the a not gras as in the picture.

Good catch, Colin, but I have seen it spelled both ways:  

coup de grâce

(redirected from Coup de gras)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.

Related to Coup de gras: Coup de foudre

Please don't tell IPMS

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

that's so cool displayed like that. I have to learn how to use mp3 players, want to do something with electric motors.

Let me know and I can tell you how.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:44 PM, Crossiant Oliver said:

I bet that German looking at the Lancaster  is thinking “uh oh.”

good model though, I love the diorama. whenever I see something dambusters related I always think of the Trench Run from Star Wars (which was inspired by Dambusters).

*”Stay On Target!”*

The German(S) looking up is Leutnant Widmann whose Flak 28 got drenched by the geysers of water from the the Up Keep bombs that missed and exploded near his sluice tower.  Uffz Schutte the other German in my scene said " It came roaring out of the moonlight like a monster..."

Edited by CMSCHLOM

11 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

coup de grace

I believe you're right.  As it is, it says "cut of fat".  Smashing, job, though.  Well thought out and executed. And I love all the bells and whistles, too... Icing on the cake!

• Like 1

Superb and evocative modelling! Inspiring.

Your French isn't up to your amazing modelling skills, though. 😉 

The French word "gras" means "fat" (noun and adjective). The expression is "coup de grace" in its 'Frenglish' version and, as ColinChipmunkfan correctly points out, it is spelled 'coup de grâce' in French – literally 'a [final] blow (shot) of mercy'.

In your place, I would correct the plaque, or you're likely to hear a few guffaws from French speaking admirers of your modelling artistry.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb and evocative modelling! Inspiring.

Your French isn't up to your amazing modelling skills, though. 😉 

The French word "gras" means "fat" (noun and adjective). The expression is "coup de grace" in its 'Frenglish' version and, as ColinChipmunkfan correctly points out, it is spelled 'coup de grâce' in French – literally 'a [final] blow (shot) of mercy'.

In your place, I would correct the plaque, or you're likely to hear a few guffaws from French speaking admirers of your modelling artistry.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, but here in America, I've seen it spelled both ways, I know about the fat part too!  Well that's what 6 years of French in school will get you, but:

coup de grâce

(redirected from Coup de gras)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.

Related to Coup de gras: Coup de foudre, meaning "Thunderbolt"

Wow what a lovely model and diorama.  Got thevideo to work too. Fantastic work.   Very generous offer to donate this too. Top bloke. 

PS I like the warning sign too and the stash !!!

Thanksfor sharing. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Just spoke with 207 Naval Squadron who is working with 617 Squadron RAF with their training, trying to work out the logistics of getting it back to Britain.  Wish me luck!  

Edited by CMSCHLOM

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic build, one question what did the gold medal winner build?

LOL!  This IPMS chapter goes by "Chicago Rules."  Which means you do not compete against others.  (In my case there were no other aircraft dioramas), so you are graded solely on the quality of your build using IPMS criteria for Bronze, Silver, Gold.  Essentially, you are competing against yourself.  Very subjective and nerve wracking!

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 11:51 AM, CMSCHLOM said:

The German(S) looking up is Leutnant Widmann whose Flack 28 got drenched by the geysers of water from the the Up Keep bombs that missed and exploded near his sluice tower.  Uffz Schutte the other German in my scene said " It came roaring out of the moonlight like a monster..." (the Lancaster bombers.)

On 6/21/2018 at 2:25 AM, IanC said:

Absolutely brilliant. 

But surely the title of the piece should be:

'Apres Moi le Deluge'?

I was joking about the Italian, actually, After me, the Deluge would be a catchy name for the diorama!

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 1

The Latest news from 617 Squadron:

Dear Lieutenant Colonel Schlom,

Thank you very much for the kind offer of donating your diorama to 617 Sqn. On behalf of the squadron I graciously accept! It looks very impressive and it will make a fine addition to our memorabilia back in the UK going a long way towards giving our new squadron building some character.

We will be trailing the remaining 5 jets back to the UK at the end of July and I believe that the best way of getting the model from here to RAF Marham is on our support aircraft. As for the journey south from your location to MCAS Beaufort a FEDEX option might be the best, given the timeframe, for which we will arrange and pay for at this end.

What would be the dimensions and weight of the model once boxed up? And would packaging involve dismantling the model? If so then please could you provide instructions on how best to reassemble the model.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks again.

Kind regards,

Goffy

Flt Lt Dan Goff | 617 Sqn |

• Like 3