1941 Chevrolet AK Pickup

Hi,

some years ago when I built Lindberg's notorious Dodge L-700 as a restorer's rig I needed a "restored" load.

After 55 years of modeling I started this stock 1941 Chevy as my very first pickup kit admittedly without much enthusiasm, but then I was really surprised that this RM kit was interesting to build and made a very attractive model.
Besides some minor detailing it is OOB.

comp_AK001200-vi.jpg
comp_AK002200-vi.jpg
comp_AK003200-vi.jpg
comp_AK004200-vi.jpg
comp_AK005200-vi.jpg
comp_AK006200-vi.jpg
comp_AK007200-vi.jpg
comp_AK008200-vi.jpg

• Like 21

There is something about every red model I've seen which makes them look a bit (or a lot) plastic... until this one. I don't know what you've done to achieve it, but when you see it the immediate impression is that you have a really nice looking lump of iron - great finish on another great build.:clap2:

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

On Overhauling they say that the paint should look like you can sink your hand into it.

This one has that quality. The paint looks like a liquid.

And there's something in the interior shot that makes me want to drive her.....Lovely job Jurgen,absolutey lovely....

• Like 2

Thanks for the resonse!

On 6/20/2018 at 6:57 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

On Overhauling they say that the paint should look like you can sink your hand into it.

This one has that quality. The paint looks like a liquid.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:18 PM, Spiny said:

There is something about every red model I've seen which makes them look a bit (or a lot) plastic... until this one. I don't know what you've done to achieve it, but when you see it the immediate impression is that you have a really nice looking lump of iron - great finish on another great build.:clap2:

At the time when I built this model I had troubles finding 1 k automotive paints any longer. As far as I know they were forbidden at least here in Germany for reasons of environmental protection. That is why I tried to spray inexpensive thixotropic paints from my local house improvement store on a few models though their labels said that thixotropic paints could not be sprayed.

The resulting paintwork was ambivalent: As you realized the paintworks looked deep and smooth like glass, but their covering power was very poor and required many ultra-thin (and time-consuming) paintlayers.

Soon after I learned that high quality 1 k automotive paints were still available. The colour choice, however, is now restricted to RAL shades and their only official purpose is now spraying agricultural machinery.

Nevertheless when parts come moulded already in the desired colour the poor covering power of thixotropic paints recede into the background. In these cases I still use them.

• Like 3

As usual a stunning paint job and superb interior - all very life-like.

Is that painted wood effect for the bed - if so, care to share the technique?

All in all, lovely to look at.
ATB
Rick

Edited by Spad
spelling

Thanks for the recent replies!

On 6/30/2018 at 2:17 AM, Spad said:

As usual a stunning paint job and superb interior - all very like-like.

Is that painted wood effect for the bed - if so, care to share the technique?

All in all, lovely to look at.
ATB
Rick

My kit came with a nice one-piece decal for the complete bed including the moulded rails. Because I wanted period-correct dark rails instead of the corresponding bright decal areas, and in order to make applying the decal more precise I cut the large decal into six "wood" strips.