Bristol Bulldog.

My Hunter and DH88 builds are stalled at the moment, humid weather is playing havoc with paint drying times. Best I fire up another build to keep things rolling along then!

First released in 1970, the one I'm building is a blister pack later issue. Here's the first three issues. There were a few more after these three , including a Swedish AF one.

IMG_4679.jpg

Picked because it was to hand, and looking sorry for itself after failing to attract any bids on ebay recently, I'm going to do the decent thing and build it as nature intended. This would not happen if I didn't have a minter tucked away with its blister packed mates, up in the loft. 

Here's the kit in question...

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

Note the seven(!) windscreens found once the pack was opened.

A bit of assembly took place last night and just before close of play a couple of decals went on. A clearcoat over the sheet kept everything in one bit and the decals performed faultlessly.

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

The polished alloy cowl panels is done with a Molotow chrome ink pen. The finish is not up to it's usual standard. I'll put that down to the humidity I think, I't can't be my fault!

More as it happens.

• Like 9

That's the spirit - if one build stalls - don't twiddle your thumbs - start another :thumbsup:

I'm currently 'watching' some air drying plaster...  ...drying...  I should take a leaf out of your book - TOP MAN :yahoo: 

• Like 2

Great the see the Bulldog on here Tony.

Yet another kit start, so lets make sure we get as many kit finishes as well - all in jest of course! 

Actually this one looks to be almost there.

Cheers... Dave.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With the completion of my attempt at the Airfix DH88 Comet, it's time to get back on the Bulldog, if you will pardon the expresion!

A bit more assembly done, mainly to the engine and a bit of cleanup started on the undercarriage and other assorted bits and pieces.

IMG_4831.jpg

A base has been started as well. A Lidle Youghurt pot lid got a coat of silver spray, followed by a buffing with a metaliser powder. A card disc was painted green, had sand sprinkled on it, then scenic grass. Cheap as chips and done in a flash!

IMG_4832.jpg

IMG_4836.jpg

Final assembly can't be far away now, then it's time to crack into the Lancaster prototype.

I'll be having a think about the next build, possibly something nautical for a change. Hmmmm.

• Like 12

Mine have behaved well so far.

They got a fairly thick clear coat over them to be on the safe side. A close trim before wetting them and a couple of brave pills before application has seen them go on easily enough. No setting solutions used, just a good squash down with a bit of tissue.

I doubt I'll be rigging this one, at least not yet. I need a bit of practice on something a bit bigger first. A stalled 1.48 Fury  from the Hawker GB might be a good test bed for me.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Talking of rigging, there have been some good threads on BM showing various ways of doing it. You may be right in having a practice on a 1/48 kit but it would be lovely to see this Bulldog finished - I've never built one. I might be doing a biplane after the Comet so I may join you in Purgatory!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Nothing to report on this build since August the first. A shocking state of affairs!

Something just didn't work for me with the build at that point. Mojo went, nothing could be done about it, other than start another build. It happens...

Fast forward to today, when I find what I thought was an October the Seventh finish to the GB turns out to be a full ten days further away! Time to take another look at the Bulldog.

I've dug the thing out and straight away seen a booboo I've made. I painted the rear part of the tailplanes red... Wrong... Error now corrected, red where it should be. The exhaust has had a coat of Humbrol copper as part one of the paint treatment there. A couple of chips on the decals have been touched in and a bit of oil paint has been smoothed over the prop. The red area on the prop got a fresh coat of red and the wheels got an outline with a Molotow 1mm pen.

IMG_6125.jpg

All in all, about an hours work. It's got the plane back on track, and that can only be a good thing.

Tony.

• Like 6

Molotow pens are the best thing since sliced bread. The chrome effect is just about unbeatable. I use the 1mm and 2mm pens. I didn't need the chrome part for the Bulldog wheels, but the 1mm bit looked like it could sort out the bit on the wheel between the tyre and the hub. It worked just fine. I took a deep breath and drew a circle around the wheels. One went fine, the other needed a bit of touch up. A dry brushing with matt varnish got everything looking about right. I might have gone a bit wrong by drybrushing the cowl at the same time. I thought the chrome effect a bit bright. The dulled down look isn't right either. I'll have a think about this.

IMG_6127.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Having a break from this build seems to have done the trick.

I spent an hour or two finishing the model off, nothing major the usual tiny bits and bobs. I also refinished the polished ally fuselage sides with a 2mm Molotov pen. It still looks a bit bright to me but the dulled down attempt yesterday just looked wrong.

No rigging for this one, I'll need something a whole lot simpler and with a bit more space to work with. It sounds daft, but the Airfix HP 0/400 might be a good first try. The rigging holes are already there and the Airfix wing design allows the wing assembly to be rigged, then built up. A bit difficult to describe, I'll dig out the kit instructions at some point to demonstrate.

Here's a quick shot of the Bulldog as it is. There's a pilot to be added yet, to disguise the complete lack of any detail in the cockpit. More for the Gallery later.

IMG_6148.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 9